Search

Help with upgrade strategy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2011, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Help with upgrade strategy

Doing a multi-city trip.
I'm CO Plat and UA 1K.
I purchased it on CO.com to get double miles on my Chase One Pass plus card and used my CO Plat #.

I have 4 CO 2010 SWUs which I never used yet. No UA Swu's or CRs.
  1. [*]
  2. [*]

I still have til tomorrow 5pm or so to cancel. Basically I want best odds of getting First or Biz on the longer portions.

I have the 4 SWUs on CO but would probably have to use miles on UA and I think I can't use them on codeshare, but not sure how the complimentary upgrades work.

Thanks for the help!
Old Jul 25, 2011, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I'll throw it out there - no int'l trips planned between now and EOY/Jan'12 or whenever they expire? SWUs are incredibly valuable for those.

I'd use your UA number on ORD-SFO on UA. 10am flight, not prime business time, bet you could get it complimentary. Codeshare shouldn't have any effect on UDU.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I'll throw it out there - no int'l trips planned between now and EOY/Jan'12 or whenever they expire? SWUs are incredibly valuable for those.
I have a bunch for work but I get to fly biz.
I have trip to Paris but used miles so SWU not relevant.

I'd use your UA number on ORD-SFO on UA. 10am flight, not prime business time, bet you could get it complimentary. Codeshare shouldn't have any effect on UDU.
So 1K gets your better chance than CO Plat? Can I change it after my first leg just so I can still try to get the SWU on the first CO leg?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GaryMF
I have a bunch for work but I get to fly biz.
I have trip to Paris but used miles so SWU not relevant.

So 1K gets your better chance than CO Plat? Can I change it after my first leg just so I can still try to get the SWU on the first CO leg?
It might be worth calling to try and swap your mileage UG for the SWUs. Or , worst case, keep watching, and if you see the R space open up, cancel and re-UG with SWUs.

Yes, 1K better than CO Plat on UA. And yes, you can change it after the first flight. You have 6 days in-between which is perfect, as 1K window is 100 hours.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
It might be worth calling to try and swap your mileage UG for the SWUs. Or , worst case, keep watching, and if you see the R space open up, cancel and re-UG with SWUs.

Yes, 1K better than CO Plat on UA. And yes, you can change it after the first flight. You have 6 days in-between which is perfect, as 1K window is 100 hours.
OK Thanks for the info. FYI the first leg I am waitlisted via CO SWU not miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.