Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Guaranteed F transcon or possible upgrade on a 3 class flat bed...which would you do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guaranteed F transcon or possible upgrade on a 3 class flat bed...which would you do?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2011, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador

Due to a cancellation, I can either take a CO transcon in a 739 in F direct and guaranteed (directv, plus legit meal service) or a 762 with a stop in houston F guaranteed or i can take my chances on a 3 cabin 767 ord-SFO UA tomorrow am. There are 3 c seats remaining. Which would you pick?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 3:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The UA763 3-class will have the new C seats and new IFE -- a better seat by far than the standard CO/UA domestic F.

However, i tend to pick non-stop flights and avoid ORD in the later summer due to weather delays -- so if ORD is not your origin, take the direct flight.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Lga/ewr is origin so either
Lga-ord-SFO 757/767i UA
Ewr-iah-SFO 762/753 co
ewr-sea-SFO 739/320 co then UA
Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:33 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Need more info here. What is your status? Do you at least have a guaranteed seat in C on the flight from ORD to SFO, or are you stuck in Y if you don't get lucky? Assume you have no chance of getting on EWR-SFO nonstop in F, which would be better than your other options stated? Ideally, I would want to avoid any possible misconnect or weather delays in IAH or ORD. Yes, F on a 3 class 763 is a nicer rider, but do you really want to go through the hassle of connecting in ORD and risk delay, especially if you don't have a guarantted seat in F?

Last edited by SFOTurtle; Jul 23, 2011 at 7:40 pm
Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:38 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
I'd take the 767 through IAH, seats aren't that bad for daytime flights, and you avoid ORD.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:42 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The UA763 3-class will have the new C seats and new IFE -- a better seat by far than the standard CO/UA domestic F.

However, i tend to pick non-stop flights and avoid ORD in the later summer due to weather delays -- so if ORD is not your origin, take the direct flight.
I agree with this advice 100% if the nonstop is available. Don't know why the OP is only being offered connecting flights unless F is sold out on the nonstops. If LGA is an option, why not ask to be rescheduled into C on JFK-SFO?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
I agree with this advice 100% if the nonstop is available. Don't know why the OP is only being offered connecting flights unless F is sold out on the nonstops. If LGA is an option, why not ask to be rescheduled into C on JFK-SFO?

He's in EWR and I'm not sure they'd let him change to JFK... Right?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

I'm co plat but 1p on UA so any y b or m on co is automatic if theres a seat in first. I'm rolling the dice on UA. Can't do JFK since that's not udu. No direct ewr to SFO.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by dparkinson
I'm co plat but 1p on UA so any y b or m on co is automatic if theres a seat in first. I'm rolling the dice on UA. Can't do JFK since that's not udu. No direct ewr to SFO.

UA won't do auto upgrades right?

Do the IAH, guaranteed upgrade.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

They just mxd the last lga ord of the night so the 6am is gonna be a zoo so I've ruled that out. Just trying to figure if a real meal and dtv on the 739 to sea is better than the 762 and 753 in Houston.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by dparkinson
They just mxd the last lga ord of the night so the 6am is gonna be a zoo so I've ruled that out. Just trying to figure if a real meal and dtv on the 739 to sea is better than the 762 and 753 in Houston.

Take the 767, although the 757 has shared TV...
Old Jul 23, 2011, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Go with the non stop 767 and take your chances
Old Jul 24, 2011, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do the CO 739 guaranteed F / nonstop. No brainer. Not even sure why there would be a question about it. Anything else just invited unwanted hassle and more wasted time.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
OP should be able to get on JFK-SFO p.s. flight if he wanted. He'd have to convince CO to rebook him into C or F though, which I'm not sure if they'll do or not.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:03 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
A bird in the hand for me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.