Presidential Plus Card Changes

Old Jan 5, 12, 3:45 pm
  #1156  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: TPA 50%/BKK 30%/HKG 20%
Programs: UA:1K 0.95MM – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Posts: 1,951
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
The $395 annual card fee can be considered a business expense (for those who can consider it such) while the $375 club membership fee can not be. If you would otherwise spend $375, the extra $20 gets you the signup bnus miles plus miles for every dollar you put on the card. That's not bad for $20.

On the negative side of things, the removal of RDM bonus miles and FEQM limitations are changes that need some serius reconsideration IMHO.
It's especially bad for 1Ks, etc. that take mostly international flights. We get lounge access anyway.

AMEX Platinum is a MUCH better deal now, because their international lounge access (and domestic USAir) doesn't require a *A boarding pass.
TomA is offline  
Old Jan 5, 12, 4:05 pm
  #1157  
RNE
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: AKC
Posts: 8,621
Originally Posted by electroflyer View Post
...mostly trying to determine which benefits you liked best.
For example, boarding early is my primary reason for having the card. Under CO, I could be among the first to board after FC. Under UA, I'm barely better than a Kettle. A Kettle!

RNE, moaning, "Oh the humanity."
RNE is offline  
Old Jan 5, 12, 5:52 pm
  #1158  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Posts: 3,970
Originally Posted by Darlox View Post
Ok, so aside from reading all of the comments on specific details, I'm honestly trying to figure out why I _should_ keep the PP card. It's the only MC-branded card in my wallet, and I like the 0% foreign transaction alternative for the overseas places that don't accept AmEx. But that's not $395 worth of utility... So, defenders, a nice little bullet-list of what I'm missing would be helpful.

Do Plat/1K members derive ANY benefit from the PP card at this point, given:
* No 25% mileage extra
* You can buy a UC membership straight-up for $375 -- $20 less than the card's annual fee
* You can't "level up" to 1K with FEQM, or you're already there and it doesn't matter.
* They don't get you any closer to MM levels.

Discounted UC membership + a CapitalOne VentureOne card would seem to be cheaper and offer completely-equivalent benefits, no?? And that's assuming that I'd actually buy the UC membership, given the other lounge access alternatives and the amount I fly Int'l... Am I missing something?

From a purely-business standpoint, I'm pretty confused as to what UACO (or Chase) thinks the benefit is to differentiate themselves, at this point. Unless they're just solely targeting non-elite flyers, which sort of doesn't make sense, given the spend patterns their target consumer would have and how they've advertised this card to-date? They're competing at a price point and demographic with AmEx Plat, and it's my experience that AmEx has been doing its hardest to ADD benefits. (Even to the point of finding ways to screw UACO for leaving them!) I don't get it. *shrug*
I don't think you're missing anything at all.

Absent changes I'm going to cancel and replace it with one of:
Sapphire (at $95 - also no foreign exchange fee)
USAA MC (1% but with 1% cash back)

And I'll keep my Amex Plat (as well as SPG) and move the spend for everyplace that takes Amex onto one of those (foreign to Plat; domestic to SPG).
mbreuer is offline  
Old Jan 5, 12, 6:06 pm
  #1159  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: TPA 50%/BKK 30%/HKG 20%
Programs: UA:1K 0.95MM – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Posts: 1,951
I think the lower end CO or UA card may be worth it though... just because of fee rebate they are offering. It gets most of the same benefits, including the upgrades on reward tix.

You might also look at Citibank's PremierPass cards.
TomA is offline  
Old Jan 5, 12, 8:15 pm
  #1160  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
Posts: 619
Originally Posted by Darlox View Post
Do Plat/1K members derive ANY benefit from the PP card at this point, given:
* No 25% mileage extra
* You can buy a UC membership straight-up for $375 -- $20 less than the card's annual fee
* You can't "level up" to 1K with FEQM, or you're already there and it doesn't matter.
* They don't get you any closer to MM levels.

Discounted UC membership + a CapitalOne VentureOne card would seem to be cheaper and offer completely-equivalent benefits, no??
Does CapitolOne offer hyatt Plat, Avis presidents, primary insurance on car rentals, extra bag allowance?
~tc~ is offline  
Old Jan 5, 12, 8:25 pm
  #1161  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,797
Originally Posted by ~tc~ View Post
Does CapitolOne offer hyatt Plat, Avis presidents, primary insurance on car rentals, extra bag allowance?
I know Hyatt plat can be had with their CC ($75 with 1 free night upon sign up and 1 free night every year thereafter). The CapitalOne venture card has this:

http://www.capitalone.com/creditcard..._01_T_CCPDFVSW

PRESENTING YOUR VISA SIGNATURE PERKS AND BENEFITS
2
• Travel – Receive complimentary discounts and upgrades at top hotels, resorts, and cruise lines.
• Entertainment – Experience the most out of life with insider connections from your Visa Signature card. Enjoy access to
advance ticket sales and preferred seating at concerts and hit Broadway shows, plus movie ticket offers.
• Fine Wine & Food – Indulge your passion for everything gourmet with special dining and wine experiences. Attend dining
events and enjoy complimentary wine tastings and discounts at over 60 Sonoma County wineries.
• Sports – Get up close and personal at once-in-a-lifetime sporting events. Plus treat yourself to premier golf outings and
football game-day experiences.
• Visa Signature Concierge
– Save time and make your life easier with the complimentary Visa Signature Concierge service. Just call anytime, 24 hours a day. The Visa Signature Concierge service can help you find tickets to the top sports and
entertainment events, book travel, make dinner reservations, and even help you find the perfect gift. To use your Visa Signature Concierge service, call (800) 953-7392. For calls outside the United States, call us collect at 630-350-4551.
• Shopping – Enjoy discounts and special offers at premium retailers, from jewelry to apparel and electronics.
• Emergency Card Replacement and Emergency Cash Disbursement – This efficient, 24 x 7 x 365 worldwide service
allows you to quickly and easily get a replacement Visa Signature card sent to you and/or receive emergency cash at a convenient location.
• Year-End Summary Statement – At your option, receive a detailed summary of Visa Signature spending during the year for convenient budget analysis and financial planning.
• Warranty Manager Service – Get double the time period of the original manufacturer’s written U.S. repair warranty up to one (1) full year on warranties of three (3) years or less when you purchase an eligible item entirely with your eligible Visa Signature card. You can also enjoy convenient features like warranty registration and the option to purchase Extended
Service Agreements with Visa Performance Guarantee.
• Purchase Security – Replaces, repairs, or reimburses you for eligible items of personal property up to $500 per claim for
ninety (90) days from the date of purchase due to covered reasons.
• Lost/Stolen Card Reporting – This worldwide service saves you valuable time if you need to report a lost or stolen Visa
Signature card and is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.
• Travel Accident Insurance – Receive coverage for common carrier accidental death or dismemberment, at no extra cost,
when you charge your entire travel fare to your eligible Visa Signature card.
• Lost Luggage Reimbursement – Feel confident knowing your checked or carry-on luggage is covered up to $3,000 if lost
or stolen when you charge your entire common carrier ticket to your eligible Visa Signature card.
• Roadside Dispatchฎ
– Get convenient towing and locksmith referral services in the United States and Canada, available 24
hours a day, 7 days a week.
• Travel and Emergency Assistance Services – Get help coordinating medical, legal, and travel services while you’re away
from home.
• Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver – Receive coverage, at no additional cost, for damage due to collision or theft.
edcho is offline  
Old Jan 5, 12, 8:26 pm
  #1162  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: At This Point, Only G*d Knows!
Posts: 3,467
I got the survey as well and there was no place for free response or else I would have let them have it RE: FEQMs and the removal of the RDM bonus.

On the plus side for filling out the survey they paid me $5.00

Dan
dan1431 is offline  
Old Jan 5, 12, 11:48 pm
  #1163  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hoboken, NJ; Pembroke Pines, FL
Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,939
Originally Posted by Darlox View Post
Ok, so aside from reading all of the comments on specific details, I'm honestly trying to figure out why I _should_ keep the PP card. It's the only MC-branded card in my wallet, and I like the 0% foreign transaction alternative for the overseas places that don't accept AmEx. But that's not $395 worth of utility... So, defenders, a nice little bullet-list of what I'm missing would be helpful.
I think the *primary* benefit is United Club membership. If you don't want or need United Club membership, you shouldn't be considering this card. So whatever a straight up United Club membership would cost you, subtract that off of the card fee.

Given that, Xyzzy gives a key point if your card fee can be a business expense. That alone makes the card a good financial choice *if you want United Club membership*.

In its new incarnation, the card benefits are clearly biased towards infrequent travelers. For the various flavors of Premiers, the card is a worse and worse deal the higher your level.

Hmm. wait a minute is your $375 comparison price the 1K rate? If so then even 1Ks are paying $20 for the rest of the benefits. Is that right?

So if that's true, 1Ks are paying $20 for 1 mile per dollar spent on the card. Everyone else is getting United Club membership for less than the price of buying membership directly.

If you don't need United Club membership, I can't imagine that you would get the card.
lensman is offline  
Old Jan 6, 12, 5:55 am
  #1164  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: TPA 50%/BKK 30%/HKG 20%
Programs: UA:1K 0.95MM – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Posts: 1,951
Originally Posted by lensman View Post
I think the *primary* benefit is United Club membership. If you don't want or need United Club membership, you shouldn't be considering this card. So whatever a straight up United Club membership would cost you, subtract that off of the card fee.

Given that, Xyzzy gives a key point if your card fee can be a business expense. That alone makes the card a good financial choice *if you want United Club membership*.

In its new incarnation, the card benefits are clearly biased towards infrequent travelers. For the various flavors of Premiers, the card is a worse and worse deal the higher your level.

Hmm. wait a minute is your $375 comparison price the 1K rate? If so then even 1Ks are paying $20 for the rest of the benefits. Is that right?

So if that's true, 1Ks are paying $20 for 1 mile per dollar spent on the card. Everyone else is getting United Club membership for less than the price of buying membership directly.

If you don't need United Club membership, I can't imagine that you would get the card.
1Ks get a $60 credit per year on any CO/UA card under the new program.

The Citibank Premier Elite card also has a 0% rate on international transactions, FYI.
TomA is offline  
Old Jan 6, 12, 6:25 am
  #1165  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Posts: 30,761
Originally Posted by TomA View Post
1Ks get a $60 credit per year on any CO/UA card under the new program.
As a lifetime club member (from the CO side) I get this card for $100/year. As a 1k perhaps it will now only cost me $40 ... at thse prices I'm not terribly unhappy about what I'm paying... I'm still upset about the uselessness of the FEQM and the RDM bonus going away, though.
Xyzzy is offline  
Old Jan 6, 12, 6:45 am
  #1166  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Posts: 3,970
Originally Posted by TomA View Post
I think the lower end CO or UA card may be worth it though... just because of fee rebate they are offering. It gets most of the same benefits, including the upgrades on reward tix.

You might also look at Citibank's PremierPass cards.
They won't do a fee rebate on a downgrade .
mbreuer is offline  
Old Jan 6, 12, 6:54 am
  #1167  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
Posts: 1,256
Since Amtrak Select Plus get access to the UC and I have *G via 1K, the lounge benefit is of no value for me any more. I'm going to hang on to my United Platinum Class Visa which still can churn out 10k EQM a year (at a much lower 1K price) so I can accumulate a few miles if I like, but I've pretty much swung my spend over the Amex Platinum this year. The only benefit I think I might miss is the Avis benefit, but I'm Hertz PC so this is moot. With this combo, I have no int'l card fees, access to the lounges of the 3 majors (United/American/Delta) and the wicked stepsister (USAirways), plus Priority Pass for obscure int'l destinations where I'm not on Star. I can pick up MP points if I feel like it via the United Visa, MR points if I don't. Especially as I'm not sure I'm going to stick with United beyond 2012, this feels like a great hedge position to play from... naturally, if Chase gets their act together on the successor to the "Onepass" cards, I'm open to something new, but they've got to do a lot better.
jmr50 is offline  
Old Jan 6, 12, 5:22 pm
  #1168  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: WAS
Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Posts: 1,593
Originally Posted by jmr50 View Post
Since Amtrak Select Plus get access to the UC and I have *G via 1K, the lounge benefit is of no value for me any more.
The agreement between UA and Amtrak is ending, so without *G, you wouldn't have UA lounge access.

Source: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...nt-for-others/
14940674 is offline  
Old Jan 6, 12, 6:59 pm
  #1169  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: At This Point, Only G*d Knows!
Posts: 3,467
Originally Posted by 14940674 View Post
The agreement between UA and Amtrak is ending, so without *G, you wouldn't have UA lounge access.

Source: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...nt-for-others/
I did not read the blog article but it must have outdated info as AMTRAK posted here on FT (LINK) that Select + Members will continue to enjoy UC access after February.

Dan
dan1431 is offline  
Old Jan 6, 12, 8:25 pm
  #1170  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Posts: 30,761
Originally Posted by dan1431 View Post
I did not read the blog article but it must have outdated info as AMTRAK posted here on FT (LINK) that Select + Members will continue to enjoy UC access after February.
That's interesting. I just noticed this on the CO web site:
Effective December 31, 2011, the option to transfer miles and points between OnePass and Amtrak Guest Rewards accounts will cease.
I wish I had paid attention and transferred a pile of miles to Amtrak before the end f 2011. Perhaps a new, similar, option will show up in Mileage Plus? I'm not holding my breath.
Xyzzy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: