Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Presidential Plus Card Changes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, BA
Originally Posted by dmunz
All this talk about people bumping up to 1K with FEQMs remindes me of the talk about CO giving free status at DO #1. Some folks in the crowd were worried about elite inflation from these freebies. Larry called it wallet candy and said the folks that got them didn't really fly that much so it didn't matter.

I really wonder how many people are using the card to get staus on FEQMS alone. And, in those cases how much do they fly to compete with BIS status flyers.

I'd be willing to give up the risk of competing with on of these small business elites for the ability to top off with 5,000 or 10,000 FEQMs from my card.

Not that it matters as this seems to be set and I'm off to AMX anyway.

FWIW
DLM
I agree completely with this. There are so few people with the grandfathered 2011 FEQMs that UA should just let us spend them whenever and be done with it. The way UA has done is to sell the Prez Plus card by non expiring FEQMS that can be used any time. Now it is just being very small minded and chinchy and restricting the use of those 2011 miles. If UA was smart, it would not cause all these headaches for these grandfathered FEQMs. It just makes little sense.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
60 days after fee to cancel?

So - just called Chase about options for downgrading and such.

The CSR told me (and is putting it in writing) that we've got 60 days from the day the annual fee posts to cancel for a full refund.

Also - she said that they've been asked to forward customer issues regarding the PP card to their executive management as the card benefits and such are being reviewed. She suggested that I wait the 60 days before canceling or downgrading.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by mbreuer
So - just called Chase about options for downgrading and such.

The CSR told me (and is putting it in writing) that we've got 60 days from the day the annual fee posts to cancel for a full refund.

Also - she said that they've been asked to forward customer issues regarding the PP card to their executive management as the card benefits and such are being reviewed. She suggested that I wait the 60 days before canceling or downgrading.
It's about time they started thinking about this--it seems most people cancelled and they didn't even bother to find out why. They probably won't be able to solve my biggest problem with the program though: Lack of international club reciprocity when not flying *A...
Old Jan 4, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Wow, they didn't even try to keep me. About three weeks ago I called to cancel and they offered me 20K miles to not cancel. They also advised me to wait until the miles due posted (almost 4K). Those have now posted and I called again and said I wouldn't pay $395 and please cancel and the guy did it with no questions.

Interesting. Now let's see what happens when they come out with the new United version of the card. Let's see if they will give me first year free.....
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:36 am

the surveys are coming out i see.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
Originally Posted by xerenthar
indeed, with lots of questions...
Old Jan 5, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: CO (now UA) 1K / Hyatt Platinum / UMPPPC / SLH Honoured
Unfortunately with nowhere to provide feedback about FEQMs not working past 75k nor about expiring FEQMs.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Did you receive a survey in email? I've heard nthing from Chase of late except where and when to send them money.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Did you receive a survey in email? I've heard nthing from Chase of late except where and when to send them money.
I got an email invitation for a survey.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:09 pm
RNE

Point of Order

Are you talking about surveys specifically about the Presidential Plus card or the typical post-flight surveys?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Ok, so aside from reading all of the comments on specific details, I'm honestly trying to figure out why I _should_ keep the PP card. It's the only MC-branded card in my wallet, and I like the 0% foreign transaction alternative for the overseas places that don't accept AmEx. But that's not $395 worth of utility... So, defenders, a nice little bullet-list of what I'm missing would be helpful.

Do Plat/1K members derive ANY benefit from the PP card at this point, given:
* No 25% mileage extra
* You can buy a UC membership straight-up for $375 -- $20 less than the card's annual fee
* You can't "level up" to 1K with FEQM, or you're already there and it doesn't matter.
* They don't get you any closer to MM levels.

Discounted UC membership + a CapitalOne VentureOne card would seem to be cheaper and offer completely-equivalent benefits, no?? And that's assuming that I'd actually buy the UC membership, given the other lounge access alternatives and the amount I fly Int'l... Am I missing something?

From a purely-business standpoint, I'm pretty confused as to what UACO (or Chase) thinks the benefit is to differentiate themselves, at this point. Unless they're just solely targeting non-elite flyers, which sort of doesn't make sense, given the spend patterns their target consumer would have and how they've advertised this card to-date? They're competing at a price point and demographic with AmEx Plat, and it's my experience that AmEx has been doing its hardest to ADD benefits. (Even to the point of finding ways to screw UACO for leaving them!) I don't get it. *shrug*
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Are you talking about surveys specifically about the Presidential Plus card or the typical post-flight surveys?
PresPlus card survey.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Darlox
Do Plat/1K members derive ANY benefit from the PP card at this point, given:
* No 25% mileage extra
* You can buy a UC membership straight-up for $375 -- $20 less than the card's annual fee
* You can't "level up" to 1K with FEQM, or you're already there and it doesn't matter.
* They don't get you any closer to MM levels.

Discounted UC membership + a CapitalOne VentureOne card would seem to be cheaper and offer completely-equivalent benefits, no?? And that's assuming that I'd actually buy the UC membership, given the other lounge access alternatives and the amount I fly Int'l... Am I missing something?
The $395 annual card fee can be considered a business expense (for those who can consider it such) while the $375 club membership fee can not be. If you would otherwise spend $375, the extra $20 gets you the signup bnus miles plus miles for every dollar you put on the card. That's not bad for $20.

On the negative side of things, the removal of RDM bonus miles and FEQM limitations are changes that need some serius reconsideration IMHO.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, DL SkyMiles, HHonors (Gold)
Originally Posted by electroflyer
PresPlus card survey.
What kind of questions were ask?

I got the email as well, but by the time I had time to take it, it was closed.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by GSBEWR
What kind of questions were ask?

I got the email as well, but by the time I had time to take it, it was closed.
Huge list of questions, mostly trying to determine which benefits you liked best (FEQM, 2 miles per dollar on flight tickets, concierge service *yawn*, non-expiring mires (but no chance to complain about expiring FEQM!), etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.