Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Confirmed Change - Premier/Silver Members Can Now Pre-Book Exit Row Seats on UA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confirmed Change - Premier/Silver Members Can Now Pre-Book Exit Row Seats on UA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2011, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by boycruz
I dont think they will backtrack on this as they are NOW charging for exit rows to Non status members. Try a fake booking for someone with no status and select exit row seats near the end.......... you can NOW purchase them for example SFO HNL 59 bucks gets the awesome row 16 on the 777
Interestingly it does on .bomb (ie. gives me the E+ option and the exit rows are included in that for $99), but on unitedairlines.co.uk it did not let me do it for the exact same LHR-SFO flight - despite the splash screen while I am waiting for the flights to be returned saying I can purchase E+ seats, they are all marked as unavailable - which is different to .bomb. Ho hum.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
Looks like I picked the wrong year to be a 1st time 1K.
+1. With my planned travel, by my calculations I am about one transcon short of reaching 1K this year. Now I'm wondering if I should even bother.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by SS255
+1. With my planned travel, by my calculations I am about one transcon short of reaching 1K this year. Now I'm wondering if I should even bother.
It is a dilemma. I think you might regret getting that close and not getting it, I am having the same argument in my head at the moment although I am a few flights away but were all planned but not booked.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 9:50 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
OK.. I didn't mean to call everyone babies!! I'm sure this is just a bug, as this has happened a few times during the year (i wasn't going to complain or post about it)

But this Premier is happy to have exit rows for 9 reservations that I just booked for August. (fingers crossed they stick)
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Definitely worth it for the SWUs and 2 RUs.

But much lower incentive to try to push from 25K to 50K and 50K to 100K now.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA PPro, QF Gold, DL Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
Looks like I picked the wrong year to be a 1st time 1K.
Amen to that! I will hit 1K on my way to LHR in a few weeks. As a 2P I appreciated the E+ seats for free. Made all the difference in the world. When I hit 1P in March, I appreciated being able to reserve the exit row. I do not like this change at all. I would be happy with the change if they could select exit row within 24 hours like CO Silvers, not at booking.

Another change I do not like.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by crankychick
Amen to that! I will hit 1K on my way to LHR in a few weeks. As a 2P I appreciated the E+ seats for free. Made all the difference in the world. When I hit 1P in March, I appreciated being able to reserve the exit row. I do not like this change at all. I would be happy with the change if they could select exit row within 24 hours like CO Silvers, not at booking.

Another change I do not like.
Being able to reserve at check in would be fair for me! As a 2P not being able to have exit row even an hour before makes no sense!!
Old Jul 22, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by glasnost7
I encourage all of you to write in as well.
Sent - I will post the response when it comes. Thanks!
Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
It is a dilemma. I think you might regret getting that close and not getting it, I am having the same argument in my head at the moment although I am a few flights away but were all planned but not booked.
I'm sure that you are right. What I might do is go for 1K this year, but begin my 2012 travel with the knowledge that I can take advantage of my 1K status to fly about 70K miles, and then transfer enough IFEQM's to hit 75K even. That way, I'll have Platinum status for 2013, and either save the $ for not going for 1K, or get low-tier elite status on another airline.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
and then transfer enough IFEQM's to hit 75K even.
I don't think we're sure that a 75k level will exist in the merged FF program...
Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5 Star
Thanks Jeff
Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
I don't think we're sure that a 75k level will exist in the merged FF program...
There have been indications that there will be a 75k tier:

http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,53656,00.html

By mid-2012, Premier Executive members who earn 75,000 EQM or 90 EQS will have upgrade priority
* Premier Executive members who earned at least 75,000 EQM or 90 EQS in 2011 will be upgraded ahead of other Premier Executive members.
* 1K members will continue to be upgraded ahead of lower elite levels.
Of course no-one knows for sure and i'm now not sure what "benefits" they can offer at this tier cause they seemed to wipe everything else out (besides upgrade priority).
Old Jul 22, 2011, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Being able to reserve at check in would be fair for me! As a 2P not being able to have exit row even an hour before makes no sense!!
I agree, after all the GS/1Ks/1Ps got upgraded on the 757, as a 2P, it was still virtually impossible to get an 8ABC seat (formerly row 9) even if nobody was sitting there...and I also don't understand why I can book bulkhead on UA metal in-advance but not on CO metal even though the bulkhead on CO isn't considered an "exit row", they treat it that way for Silvers....weird...
Old Jul 22, 2011, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by edcho
There have been indications that there will be a 75k tier:
So far, all indications are that there will be 4 tiers for 2012 - 2P, 1P, 1P/75K, and 1K. But the full 2012 MP details haven't been announced yet, so it's mostly speculation. (that one page notwithstanding)

I have a strong hunch that having 75K and 100K tiers is simply a 1-year stopgap. And based on the beating 1Ks have taken so far, my guess is that the 1K tier will go away, because there's virtually no advantages left over 75K.

I'll take the prediction further: 75K will be the highest tier, and keep the 2 regional upgrade benefit, with the addition that at 125K (yes, 125, not 100) you'll earn 4 SWUs.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Having thought about this, I'm tempted to finish off the year as a 1K, pick up my SWUs, CR-1's, and marbles to deal with hitting EXP on AA next year. I'll probably stay a 1P though for the mileage bonus since *A is a tad better for my travel patterns than OW.

Between my two multihour disasters checking in for domestic UA/CO flights this year (even with calls to the respective elite desk) and the degradation of benefits, I can't say I'm really enjoying these changes I'm going to like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.