FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Confirmed Change - Premier/Silver Members Can Now Pre-Book Exit Row Seats on UA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1239144-confirmed-change-premier-silver-members-can-now-pre-book-exit-row-seats-ua.html)

anc-ord772 Jul 20, 2011 5:29 pm

Confirmed Change - Premier/Silver Members Can Now Pre-Book Exit Row Seats on UA

Hi Folks,

My fiance (2p) can select an exit row seat for her flight on Sunday night. Is this a new UACO thing that all elites can have access to the exit row? Just curious, can't remember hearing anything about it.

Thanks, safe travels.

ANC

Moderator's Note - Please see the official response below:

Originally Posted by UA Insider (Post 16794780)
Hi Everyone, sorry I’m a bit late jumping in here. As you’ve noticed, last week we began designating select exit row and bulkhead seats on United-operated flights as Economy Plus seats. This means that these seats are now handled just as any other Economy Plus seat would be – including the ability for Premier/Silver members to assign in the advance period for free and for other customers to purchase...

[A]s others have mentioned, the way Continental and United handle exit row and bulkhead seats remains different. Specifically, Silver and Premier members traveling on Continental can select exit row or bulkhead seats on the day of departure without a fee. But, to secure these seats in advance, they must be purchased.

I know that seats are an important topic to everyone. As we move toward aligning the experience between carriers, we will watch the feedback here carefully.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights and Metrics
United Airlines

as219 Jul 20, 2011 5:35 pm

Huh. Looks like Ms. as219 -- a 2P -- can do this as well. Weird. I'd move her seats, but if this is a glitch and they don't stick, she would be in trouble. Her flights are all full.

I sure as heck hope this is not a new thing. Exit rows seating is a major 1P and up perk. Can no change at all be made that doesn't come at the expense of 1Ks? :rolleyes:

anc-ord772 Jul 20, 2011 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by as219 (Post 16766490)
Huh. Looks like Ms. as219 -- a 2P -- can do this as well. Weird. I'd move her seats, but if this is a glitch and they don't stick, she would be in trouble.

Exactly.

Luvs2snowbordbut1kSEA Jul 20, 2011 6:41 pm

Wow

This is a huge downgrade... Combined with the new credit card benefits, why try so hard for 1K?

It used to be a significant benefit... But now you can just get a chase visa and voila!

visorboy1974 Jul 20, 2011 7:05 pm

Confirmed...I can do it as a 2P...changed it for 7 flights.

laangelsfan Jul 20, 2011 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by visorboy1974 (Post 16766935)
Confirmed...I can do it as a 2P...changed it for 7 flights.

Been able to do it now for several days. Doesn't appear to be a glitch.

ianmanka Jul 20, 2011 7:13 pm

I seem to recall being able to do this for a few months now. I think it might have been a consolation for flying on CO metal that doesn't have E+?

MBS MillionMiler Jul 20, 2011 7:14 pm

And the line continues to blur...Assuming it's not a glitch, another sacrifice for higher elites to appease the lower ones. Yes, this is a big deal...It's hard enough getting E+ seats on a quick-booked ticket, often only exit rows were the only E+ seats available.

Plus, on the CRJ (on which I begin and end every trip). With all seats being equally craptacular, the only hint of a 'premium seat' is the exit row, because only 1P/1K could get those assigned in advance, and most often led to an empty seat next to me...Not an exact science, but works out pretty well as often planes booked at 49 or less usually had row 8 windows empty. Now offering those seats in advance to a whole new group of people cuts those odds even further.

SFOPhD Jul 20, 2011 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by anc-ord772 (Post 16766467)
Is this a new UACO thing that all elites can have access to the exit row?

That would be a little odd because CO Silver cannot select exit rows...

Sterndogg Jul 20, 2011 7:25 pm

This is becoming absolutely ridiculous!!! No offense 2Ps but the devaluation of elite status continues if this is indeed true...what's the point anymore of flying 100k+ miles on a legacy carrier with outdated equipment??? I bet there will be a credit card which includes SWUs and CR1s. I guess the sticky reason I continue to fly UA is for *A awards on International carriers. Becoming a 1P and being able to select exit rows was a major perk. UA/CO really seems to be aligning more and more with Scareways where you can just spend loot without your BIS for elite status...is it time to jump to B6 and VX again???

UA-NYC Jul 20, 2011 7:29 pm

I mean - it should be clear enough by now. It's not about reaching higher levels to get add'l benefits - it's all just about ELITE ACCESS. Once you hit 25K, you're really all the same, right?

visorboy1974 Jul 20, 2011 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by ianmanka (Post 16766974)
I seem to recall being able to do this for a few months now. I think it might have been a consolation for flying on CO metal that doesn't have E+?

I was able to do it on my only CO flight about a month and a half ago, but never on a UA flight...I just flew on Monday.

kb1992 Jul 20, 2011 7:48 pm

Yeah. All elites are same. COUA now treats them equally. :rolleyes:

glasnost7 Jul 20, 2011 7:55 pm

I will be LIVID if 2Ps can select exit row henceforth.

So let me get this straight... the new tiers on UACO will be Elite (25k-100k mile flyers), Credit Card Holder and General Member?

And the hits just keep on comin'...

FriendlySkies Jul 20, 2011 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 16767053)
I mean - it should be clear enough by now. It's not about reaching higher levels to get add'l benefits - it's all just about ELITE ACCESS. Once you hit 25K, you're really all the same, right?

+1

So much for that little bit of extra space on the CRJ-200.. :eek: :rolleyes:

UA, what the hell? :td: