Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
8/8/14 Here's the "fine print" regarding those who have received a bonus from this product in the past:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
I understand that the terms of my account, including the APRs, are subject to change. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement.

If you received the bonus >24 months ago you are eligible to apply. Doesn't matter when you closed the card.

Major Benefits (post-June 2018)
  • Free first checked a bag - The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their MileagePlus number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. For complete details, please visit united.com/chasebag .
  • Priority boarding - Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. (BG2)
  • No fees on foreign transactions
  • 2 United ClubSM passes each year for your travel
  • Access to XN expanded Economy Saver award inventory (not a published benefit)
  • Chip-enabled Card provides added security
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United.
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels (NEW)
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent - You'll earn 1 mile for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open - Your miles don't expire as long as you are a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn. UA miles not longer expire
  • Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights - Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem
  • CPU award ticket eligibility for primary cardholder (only) if MP elite
  • Carryon bag allowed with Boarding Group 2 even if Basic Economy ticket
  • 25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights (NEW)
  • Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years. (NEW)

Cuts as of June 2018Purchase Price Protection - removed
Return Protection - removed
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance - reduced

10,000 bonus miles for $25K spend will no longer be available after May 31, 2018.Those who spend $10,000-$24,999 by May 31 will receive 4,000 bonus miles this year only.

New benefits2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels
25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights
Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years.
Print Wikipost

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by Kacee
No I believe those were dropped as a benefit last year.
Maybe even longer…

No loss IMO - they were pretty useless due to the T&C.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by TommyC80
Maybe even longer…

No loss IMO - they were pretty useless due to the T&C.
From personal experience in what I was able to book, it got a little better after the merger (more value on EWR and IAH flights). I think I used two of them for the $50 off. Oh well!
Old Dec 30, 2013, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Those things had the finest fine print ever. Like, not valid on Tuesdays, or on flight numbers ending in 3, 7, or 9. I still managed to use a few of them and definitely noticed their absence last year.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 8:29 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
I've had the card since Oct 2011, and never received one of these certs.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 2:52 pm

I currently have a regular Chase United Mileage plus Visa card which I have had for 4 years. I just signed up for the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card to get the bonus miles. I am wondering when I can apply for the Chase United Explorer Card to get additional bonus miles and can I cancel my United Mileage plus Visa card first and if I cancel do I have to wait a certain period of time before applying for the Explorer card?
Old Dec 31, 2013, 6:07 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dr0832
I currently have a regular Chase United Mileage plus Visa card which I have had for 4 years. I just signed up for the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card to get the bonus miles. I am wondering when I can apply for the Chase United Explorer Card to get additional bonus miles and can I cancel my United Mileage plus Visa card first and if I cancel do I have to wait a certain period of time before applying for the Explorer card?
Questions about the application process are probably better suited to this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...nt-credit.html

You should be able to apply for the Explorer now, without canceling your old United card. In general, some people have trouble being approved for more than one Chase card in a short period of time. For more info on that, see: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...solidated.html
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:34 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Not sure that I want to apply for a new card..... Just got the 50K BofA AS card. Not sure how another credit card would affect my credit rating (over 800 after the AS BofA card pull).

So, I have messaged Chase to see whether there was any bonus miles offered for upgrading my old Chase Mileage Plus Signature Platinum Visa. Got back this boilerplate:

Thank you for contacting Chase regarding your United
MileagePlus® credit card account.

Enrollment bonus miles are not offered when upgrading an
account. The enrollment bonus miles are offered only if
you complete a new account application. The United
MileagePlus Presidential card is no longer offered. We
offer the United MileagePlus Explorer account with a $95
annual fee and the United MileagePlus Club card with a
$395 annual fee.
Anyone have any suggestions for any ways to get miles for upgrading from the Signature to the Explorer? TIA.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 9:08 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Not sure that I want to apply for a new card..... Just got the 50K BofA AS card. Not sure how another credit card would affect my credit rating (over 800 after the AS BofA card pull).
There haven't been any reports of success getting the miles on a card upgrade.

Is there any reason you need a score over 800? FICO's own guidance is 760 for lowest mortgage rate.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:26 pm

Just got my 2 new United Club passes, but they expire in June 2014! Anyone experience this? I assume I can call them and get two later-expiring passes?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
MP Explorer Card Advantage on Upgrades?

Hi there... There's long been an un-stated hierarchy on Delta that gives upgrade preference to Delta Amex card holders when all else is equal.

Curious if United offers a similar benefit to people holding an MP Explorer card. Ie, we're both gold, but I have the card, so I get bumped ahead of you in line.

Anyone aware of anything like this?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 3:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by milohoss
Curious if United offers a similar benefit to people holding an MP Explorer card. Ie, we're both gold, but I have the card, so I get bumped ahead of you in line.

Anyone aware of anything like this?
There is no credit card advantage for upgrades on paid tickets. For award tickets, the Explorer card is one of the credit cards that makes award tickets eligible for CPU (but only for the primary cardholder and not companions)
Old Mar 2, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
Interesting... so CPUs are not normally possible on awards tickets on United unless you have the card?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 4:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by milohoss
Interesting... so CPUs are not normally possible on awards tickets on United unless you have the card?
correct

Upgrading award tickets

Premier members who are primary cardholders for certain Chase-issued MileagePlus credit cards are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades when traveling on award tickets on United-operated flights. The following credit cards qualify for this benefit:

United MileagePlus Explorer Card
United MileagePlus Explorer Business Card
United MileagePlus Club Card
United MileagePlus Club Business Card
United MileagePlus Presidential PlusSM Card
United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Business Card

Complimentary Premier Upgrades on award tickets will be sorted as indicated in the "Upgrade Confirmation Priority" section above, and prioritized after the lowest paid fare class within each Premier level. This benefit does not apply to companions traveling on award tickets.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 8:05 pm

UA Explorer Card First Bag Free After Canceling the Card?

My wife has had a United Explorer card since January 2013. The annual fee was charged on Feb 1, 2014 and is due to be paid by March 15, 2014. If she books a UA flight for May using this card before she pays and cancels it in a few days, will she still get the first checked bag free? In other words, can she get her first bag free even though she no longer has the card at the time of the flight?
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
UA Explorer Card First Bag Free After Canceling the Card?

I don't believe so. 99% on that. Almost all card perks state that card must be "in good standing" at time of service, I.e. when actually flying, NOT when booked. YMMV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.