Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What do former DL/NW elites think of the CO/UA integration?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do former DL/NW elites think of the CO/UA integration?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2011, 9:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyingrox
And I might add that United/Continental have been consulted by the same firm that helped with the Delta/NWA merger, Bain & Co. So clearly United didn’t think that the Delta/NWA merger was a failure.
We should all be able to agree that if there's consistently a winner during and after a merger, its the consultants.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:54 pm

I was a DL elite for years before Rob Borden's anti-customer antics drove me to jump ship to NW in the SaveSkyMiles days, and I found NW a far superior airline. My upgrade percentage went up substantially. They had free alcohol in Y on TATL flights which DL did not. NW's TATL A330s beat the stuffings out of any DL TATL metal. The DC9's on domestic flights had some age on them but had lots of C seats for upgrades and again beat the stuffings out of the Barbie jets one was more and more seeing on DL.

Originally Posted by youngdlplat
I was directed over to this thread through a current cross-link in the DL forum. As a former NW elite flyer who often flew CO and has stayed with DL, I think the comments about the DL/NW merger are skewed and way off base, likely the result of disgruntled former NW elites.

I agree that DL seriously reduced the value of the NW Worldperks program. I also agree that ST is not the best alliance right now and that integration with KL/AF and AS is not as good as it was during the NW days, which just seems ridiculous to me. DL has taken a real step backward in that regard, for no good reason that I can see.

That said---and again, this comes from a former NW elite flyer for four plus years---NW was a dump of an airline compared to DL. The hard product has improved so much it is difficult to state. Since the merger, DL has introduced F in almost all RJs, installed wifi fleetwide on mainline aircraft and now expanding to RJs, reintroduced snacks (it's a small thing, but peanuts, pretzels, etc. are nice to have, and NW had cut that). Many DL planes have PTVs, while NW only had that on select international craft. DLs beverage options are better.

Simply put, no one seems to be discussing the fact that NW was a cheap, dump of an airline. Yes, they treated elite passengers well, but their product was not nearly as good as what DL has become.

It seems UA/CO is avoiding some of the FF program problems DL had, so in that sense the merger may be "better" but I would look hard at what sort of hard product UA/CO rolls out. DL merged with NW and created a worse FF program but a much better airline. The question is whether UA/CO will do the same.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Carolinian
I was a DL elite for years before Rob Borden's anti-customer antics drove me to jump ship to NW in the SaveSkyMiles days, and I found NW a far superior airline. My upgrade percentage went up substantially. They had free alcohol in Y on TATL flights which DL did not. NW's TATL A330s beat the stuffings out of any DL TATL metal. The DC9's on domestic flights had some age on them but had lots of C seats for upgrades and again beat the stuffings out of the Barbie jets one was more and more seeing on DL.
...and outside of SkyMiles, none of these benefit really have anything to do with the DL/NW merger integration.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by flyingrox
And I might add that United/Continental have been consulted by the same firm that helped with the Delta/NWA merger, Bain & Co. So clearly United didn’t think that the Delta/NWA merger was a failure.
Or maybe they figured that these consultants had already found all the places you could screw up in a merger and knew what to avoid the second time around.

Originally Posted by sxf24
...and outside of SkyMiles, none of these benefit really have anything to do with the DL/NW merger integration.
. . . but they did refute points on similar issues from the poster I quoted. . .

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 26, 2011 at 2:08 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 26, 2011, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by youngdlplat
I was directed over to this thread through a current cross-link in the DL forum. As a former NW elite flyer who often flew CO and has stayed with DL, I think the comments about the DL/NW merger are skewed and way off base, likely the result of disgruntled former NW elites.

I agree that DL seriously reduced the value of the NW Worldperks program. I also agree that ST is not the best alliance right now and that integration with KL/AF and AS is not as good as it was during the NW days, which just seems ridiculous to me. DL has taken a real step backward in that regard, for no good reason that I can see.

That said---and again, this comes from a former NW elite flyer for four plus years---NW was a dump of an airline compared to DL. The hard product has improved so much it is difficult to state. Since the merger, DL has introduced F in almost all RJs, installed wifi fleetwide on mainline aircraft and now expanding to RJs, reintroduced snacks (it's a small thing, but peanuts, pretzels, etc. are nice to have, and NW had cut that). Many DL planes have PTVs, while NW only had that on select international craft. DLs beverage options are better.

Simply put, no one seems to be discussing the fact that NW was a cheap, dump of an airline. Yes, they treated elite passengers well, but their product was not nearly as good as what DL has become.

It seems UA/CO is avoiding some of the FF program problems DL had, so in that sense the merger may be "better" but I would look hard at what sort of hard product UA/CO rolls out. DL merged with NW and created a worse FF program but a much better airline. The question is whether UA/CO will do the same.
I think it depends on your perspective. I was personally not a great fan of the WBC seats, but NW was years ahead of anyone else in terms of putting in better business class seating. In contrast, DL is years behind UA in terms of moving to lie flat business class seating. You can say anything you want about the quality of the hard product, but for me and for most long haul flyers, the quality of the seat in business class is the thing that really counts.

In addition, NW really focused on getting you to your destination reliably and on time. I flew over 300 TPAC on NW and never had an operational or mechanical delay. The only time there was hiccup was a weather cancellation and NW rebooked me on an ANA flight that got me there earlier than my original flight.

So if you are judging whether an airline is a dump by whether they serve peanuts in the back of the plane, maybe DL is better ....but in most important respects, NW did a really excellent job and their mileage program was outstanding.

Last edited by 5khours; Jul 26, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.