Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-NYC - better on UA or CO?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2011, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, too many cruise programs to list
Originally Posted by aacharya
Agree.

Also - to the OP, I'd book the award travel now, and then cancel if a cheaper flight comes. I've never flown NYC-SFO for more than $350.
Wish I were seeing those fares now! Trying to purchase for Aug/Sept and lowest over the dates I need to fly is $529 RT on PS flights.
Old May 12, 2011, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, HH Diamond, SPH Platinum, PC Gold, National Exec Elite
Would you rather sit in E+ or get upgraded?

If it were me, I would consider whether it was more important to have a non-stop or get an upgrade. As a CO Silver, I **Rarely** get upgrades out of SFO, especially on UA metal.

If you want an upgrade, fly out of Oakland on UA Metal and connect in Denver to get to EWR.

If nonstop is important to you, you want to travel during a peak time, and you don't want to use miles to upgrade, then I would accept E+ on PS as the best option. Eat a nice meal at the Buena Vista Restaurant at SFO before the flight, put some movies on your laptop/ipad/dvd player, and hope for the best.

Good luck
Old May 13, 2011, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would make the decision entirely based on the seat I could get. If there is a good exit row aisle on CO, take that - it's going to be better legroom than anything on the UA bird. If not, UA is a better option for both the legroom and the onboard internet.
Old May 13, 2011, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by casedogg
If it were me, I would consider whether it was more important to have a non-stop or get an upgrade. As a CO Silver, I **Rarely** get upgrades out of SFO, especially on UA metal.

If you want an upgrade, fly out of Oakland on UA Metal and connect in Denver to get to EWR.

If nonstop is important to you, you want to travel during a peak time, and you don't want to use miles to upgrade, then I would accept E+ on PS as the best option. Eat a nice meal at the Buena Vista Restaurant at SFO before the flight, put some movies on your laptop/ipad/dvd player, and hope for the best.

Good luck
How easy are upgrade DEN-EWR? (I'm flying EWR-DEN, still not sure whether it'll be on CO or UA...what are the chances of an upgrade for a Gold? Assuming I don't get the upgrade, I prefer UA for E+, because I turned down B6 from JFK for this; and because EWR is much more convenient than JFK!)
Old May 13, 2011, 3:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by BurBunny
Wish I were seeing those fares now! Trying to purchase for Aug/Sept and lowest over the dates I need to fly is $529 RT on PS flights.
Buy the ticket as the date gets closer - or at least when VX announces a fare sale.

Although, if you're visiting NYC during fashion week or UN general session, then forget it - buy the ticket now.
Old May 13, 2011, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, too many cruise programs to list
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Buy the ticket as the date gets closer - or at least when VX announces a fare sale.

Although, if you're visiting NYC during fashion week or UN general session, then forget it - buy the ticket now.
I'm watching and waiting, as I know this fare is pretty dynamic.

However, thanks for the nudge about Fashion Week/UN. Just checked both. I'm flying JFK-SFO/LAX on September 8, which is the first day of the next Fashion Week. Shouldn't be too much of a factor ex-JFK that day I'd think (let me know if I'm wrong on that). UN General Session starts 13 September, so should be even less of an issue.

Please correct me if I'm looking at this incorrectly.
Old May 14, 2011, 1:14 am

Programs: united mileage plus
I'm trying to get a ff upgrade from economy to business class in 4 months too. I can't find translations for some of your abbreviations like p.s. or udu. Someone suggested cancelling a flight if you find a cheaper one: don't you end up losing a lot of money ($150+). Also, do you think it's worth getting a one-stop over non-stop to get the upgrade?
Old May 14, 2011, 6:55 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by Boraxo
For once I see plenty of award inventory for the dates I need (granted travel is 6+ months away) but not sure whether I should go with SFO-JFK (PS service on UA) or SFO-EWR on CO. I gather E+ makes UA the preferred choice?

In the event I decide to purchase a ticket (unlikely as this would require fares to drop well below the current price @ $600pp all-in) would I have a decent shot at UDU on CO or UA? As a 1P it is pretty tough flying from SFO but have had 100% success on the CO flights to/from IAH.
UDU and award travel don't mix. Make your decision based upon the assumption that you will be sitting in the cabin purchased.
Old May 14, 2011, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by artshrink
I'm trying to get a ff upgrade from economy to business class in 4 months too. I can't find translations for some of your abbreviations like p.s. or udu. Someone suggested cancelling a flight if you find a cheaper one: don't you end up losing a lot of money ($150+). Also, do you think it's worth getting a one-stop over non-stop to get the upgrade?
Let me see if I can translate a bit for you. All the abbreviations can be found in the United wiki.

PS = non-stop flights between LAX or SFO and JFK. They have different service levels than the rest of the domestic flights, including onboard wi-fi available, higher level catering, different seating in Business Class, etc.

UDU = Unlimited Domestic Upgrades. Since March, 2010, United has given automatic upgrades, based on availability and status, to their elite frequent fliers. These upgrades are based on the level of status, i.e, GS, 1K, 1P (Premier Exec) and 2P (Premier), starting at 120 hours prior to the flight. PS flights are exempt from the UDU, so for an upgrade, you have to use some other type of upgrade instrument, namely a CR1 (Confirmed Regional 1 for domestic flights, given to 1Ks and above) or miles.

For 1Ks and above booking award flights, there are no fees for cancelling an award booking. Everyone else, there are penalties.

Yes, often times it is easier to be confirmed in an upgrade on a connecting flight, but it all depends on the routing. It's more desirable to upgrade longer flights, and more desirable to fly non-stop, so the competition there is greater. Longer flights are often also hub to hub, meaning a higher concentration of elite frequent fliers.

Hope that helps!
Old May 14, 2011, 1:56 pm

Programs: united mileage plus
Thank you. That is very helpful.
Old May 14, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
I gather E+ makes UA the preferred choice?
Not always in this case. Exit rows seats have a ton more leg room than the standard E+ seats. As a UA 1P you should be able to select exit row seats on either UA or CO at the time of ticketing; and 6 months out they should be available.

So as others have indicated - if you intend to use an upgrade certificate and it is available at the time of booking I would choose UA PS metal for sure. But if you are satisified with a decent Y seat and hope for an EUA (with UDU not available on PS flights) it's row 21 on CO metal. And if it is an award ticket, and this far out, I would book either airline based on exit row availability.

Just sayin'...

SunLover
Old May 14, 2011, 5:10 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by SunLover
Not always in this case. Exit rows seats have a ton more leg room than the standard E+ seats. As a UA 1P you should be able to select exit row seats on either UA or CO at the time of ticketing; and 6 months out they should be available.

So as others have indicated - if you intend to use an upgrade certificate and it is available at the time of booking I would choose UA PS metal for sure. But if you are satisified with a decent Y seat and hope for an EUA (with UDU not available on PS flights) it's row 21 on CO metal. And if it is an award ticket, and this far out, I would book either airline based on exit row availability.

Just sayin'...

SunLover
Bolding mine: True-but there are a limited number of exit row seats vs a ton of e+ seats
Old May 15, 2011, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by artshrink
do you think it's worth getting a one-stop over non-stop to get the upgrade?
It really depends...what are you looking at? If you're looking at a reward ticket, good chance you won't get the upgrade, unless you're GS. I personally don't make my bookings more complicated than necessary just for an upgrade that I in all likelihood won't get, but to each his/her own.
Old May 15, 2011, 3:32 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
I gather E+ makes UA the preferred choice?
Have flown p.s. in both Y and C several times, and recently have been flying SFO-EWR rts on CO weekly. In Y, CO is quite a bit better if you can score row 33 on the 753. Either aisle or the right side window are just terrific seats, maybe the best economy seat in the combined fleet (in my experience). p.s. C obviously is the best, but I did score my first UDU last Thursday EWR-SFO (I'm as shocked as you are) and was pleasantly surprised by printed menus, decently tasty food (3 separate courses with 3 choices for the entree), and very attentive drink service. Seat can't compare with p.s. C but at least the 753s have a little angled ledge for you to rest your foot on.

Just to add my favorite flying story of the year so far, from that EWR-SFO flight... I was seated in economy right behind Meg Whitman. Pulled up to the last F seat right before the door closed. Checked the PDA site and she was down at #8 on the list!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.