Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What class will domestic F be considered in new airline?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2011, 2:30 am
Original Poster

CO currently classifies domestic F as business whereas UA does it as First. This makes a difference because some airlines insist on charging the rate for first when redeeming miles.

I am deciding if I want to transfer some points to ANA and if I knew that domestic first would be classified as business than the miles would be more appealing. I would guess though that they will start to call it F.
Old May 11, 2011, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by hindukid
CO currently classifies domestic F as business whereas UA does it as First. This makes a difference because some airlines insist on charging the rate for first when redeeming miles.

I am deciding if I want to transfer some points to ANA and if I knew that domestic first would be classified as business than the miles would be more appealing. I would guess though that they will start to call it F.
I've flown domestic F on CO once (last year, pre-merger) and it was called First Class.
Old May 11, 2011, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
CO currently classifies domestic F as business.
I don't think this is true.
Old May 11, 2011, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K

I think you mean when redeeming miles?

And really we have no idea. It makes no difference if you're using UA or CO miles, as 2-cabin F is priced the same as business. The only issue is with int'l programs who don't distinguish what you're flying, rather what bucket they choose to publish to.
Old May 11, 2011, 8:43 am

Programs: SK Diamond
CO codes their domestic F as business though eg. Z etc. So when using a foreign airlines ff program you can use business awards to redeem for it, when they restrict domestic F when redeeming for business.
Old May 11, 2011, 10:04 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by channa
I think you mean when redeeming miles?

And really we have no idea. It makes no difference if you're using UA or CO miles, as 2-cabin F is priced the same as business. The only issue is with int'l programs who don't distinguish what you're flying, rather what bucket they choose to publish to.
Exactly, especially when using BMI miles for domestic tickets, on UA it's a 2.5* miles and 2.5* cash where on CO it is only 1.5 * miles and 1.5 * cash.

Example: US Mainland to Hawaii BMI redeption for UA F 100,000, but only 60,000 for CO.
Old May 11, 2011, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
. The only issue is with int'l programs who don't distinguish what you're flying, rather what bucket they choose to publish to.
Right, CO/AC books into I, UA/US books into O, this creates issues when redeeming "foreign" miles.
Old May 11, 2011, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Yes. I meant F with regard to redeeming miles. My experience comes directly from using BMI miles. When using US domestic flights I was able to pay far less using CO flights rather than UA or US. This was because CO flights were coded as business and thus required only 60% of the miles that F did.

This matters to me because I am trying to decide whether to take Amex points into CO or into ANA. If I could redeem at the business level on ANA then big advantage to ANA. If I have to pay F then things swing back in the direction of CO.
Old May 11, 2011, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. I meant F with regard to redeeming miles. My experience comes directly from using BMI miles. When using US domestic flights I was able to pay far less using CO flights rather than UA or US. This was because CO flights were coded as business and thus required only 60% of the miles that F did.

This matters to me because I am trying to decide whether to take Amex points into CO or into ANA. If I could redeem at the business level on ANA then big advantage to ANA. If I have to pay F then things swing back in the direction of CO.

And honestly, there's no way to tell how it's going to be going forward. It could go the UA way because many of the mileage things have been going that direction. Though other items have been going in CO's direction, including systems, so it could go the CO way. CO is a bit non-standard among American FF programs by publishing First Class as Business.

Though UA publishes business class on 2-cabin planes, and you can sometimes book that with foreign miles even though you're getting F from what I understand.

Do you need to make a decision on these points now?
Old May 11, 2011, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Though UA publishes business class on 2-cabin planes, and you can sometimes book that with foreign miles even though you're getting F from what I understand.
Only when its the infamous continuation of an international flight, or a p.s. flight - i.e. where "I" inventory exists.

Aeroplan has the same issue with US/UA "first class" domestically - the online engine treats it as first class.
Old May 11, 2011, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
It will be the one that you don't like. And if someone else likes the one you don't like it won't be that one either.

All in all, no one will like what is liked.

Just don't mess with the soup.
Old May 11, 2011, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
It will be considered the new "FirstBusiness" level, since Domestic First, International Business, and BusinessFirst are all already in use terminology-wise.
Old May 11, 2011, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
It will be considered the new "FirstBusiness" level, since Domestic First, International Business, and BusinessFirst are all already in use terminology-wise.

That will give them the ability to rename EconomyPlus to EconomyBusiness (or EconomyFirst on 2-cabin aircraft).
Old May 12, 2011, 2:40 pm

CO is a bit non-standard among American FF programs by publishing First Class as Business.
And it is very non-standard to call the superior class "First Class" on a two cabin a/c In Germany that is called "Etikettenschwindel", bogus claim

I just hope an award reservation in CO I class will automatically become a UA O class, should the flight be operated by the new UA and not by CO.
Old May 15, 2011, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I flew CO on 4 segments in the past couple of days:
DCA-IAH: First
IAH-MSY: First
MSY-IAH: Economy (single class RJ)
IAH-BWI: Business
All three of the premium cabins were 737-800/900.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.