Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

E plus conversion rate for continental metal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2011, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM *Alliance Gold

I'm looking at SFO-LIS flights for Oct. Straightest shot is through EWR with CO non stop to LIS. It's a 757. What are the chances there will be E plus seating available by then? Otherwise will favor UA to LHR and TAP to LIS.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, SWA A-List
You should be able to select exit row or bulkhead seats on the Continental flight, which would be even better than E+. You should also be able to see before booking whether those seats are available or not.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dmkorten
You should be able to select exit row or bulkhead seats on the Continental flight, which would be even better than E+. You should also be able to see before booking whether those seats are available or not.
Can I select the extra space seats (7 or 21 on the 757) as a 2p on United?
Old Apr 28, 2011, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by rockrich
I'm looking at SFO-LIS flights for Oct. Straightest shot is through EWR with CO non stop to LIS. It's a 757. What are the chances there will be E plus seating available by then? Otherwise will favor UA to LHR and TAP to LIS.
I'd say the chances are 0% there will be E+. When the E+ announcement came out it said (I believe) they won't even start reconfiguring the CO fleet until next year.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 4:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dmkorten
Why bother adding E+ to the CO fleet, given CO has scores of exit row and bulkhead seats and everyone always gets those or a F upgrade? There must be like 40 doors on those aircraft!

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
I'd say the chances are 0% there will be E+. When the E+ announcement came out it said (I believe) they won't even start reconfiguring the CO fleet until next year.
Jeffrey is focused on paint, not service. But you are correct - they won't even start until next year.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 6:19 pm

Programs: Platinum
Not quite CO metal, but they are starting installations of E+ on Q400's.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 5:26 am
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
If you are booking now and the exit row is available on the 757 or row 7 just go ahead and take that. If those seats are no available then assume you will not have E+.

Personally, as I don't fly coach, I could care less about the speed of E+ rollout. What is far more important to me is that they get those old UA birds repainted STAT. In my mind, that is the single biggest priority.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 7:06 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Can I select the extra space seats (7 or 21 on the 757) as a 2p on United?
No; I do not believe so. You need to be Gold/PE to be able to reserve CO metal exit row seating gratis at the time of booking. Silver/2P can access them at T-24 hours.

The other option as 2P is you can purchase an ELR seat anytime after booking.

SunLover
Old Apr 29, 2011, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SunLover
No; I do not believe so. You need to be Gold/PE to be able to reserve CO metal exit row seating gratis at the time of booking. Silver/2P can access them at T-24 hours.

The other option as 2P is you can purchase an ELR seat anytime after booking.

SunLover
What's the rough cost for ELR seat purchase on a TATL flight? Those seats are wide open on the flights I'm looking at in October.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I'm looking at SFO-LIS flights for Oct. Straightest shot is through EWR with CO non stop to LIS.

SFO-LHR-LIS and SFO-FRA-LIS are only 400 and 900 more miles, respectively, and you could secure E+ at no cost on the long-haul if you booked UA metal as 2P.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by channa
SFO-LHR-LIS and SFO-FRA-LIS are only 400 and 900 more miles, respectively, and you could secure E+ at no cost on the long-haul if you booked UA metal as 2P.
Very good point. I was only interested in trying out CO, never have flown them. I will only do it if I can secure extra leg room a la E plus. If I have to pay much more to get the Extra leg room rows, that's a deal breaker.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 4:14 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
But these will incur LHR or FRA high departure taxes. Not sure about LIS.

EmailKid
Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by emailkid
But these will incur LHR or FRA high departure taxes. Not sure about LIS.

EmailKid
The high taxes are usually only in premium cabins and mostly for flights to/from LHR or FRA. Economy class and connections catch a break. While EWR will still be a cheaper connecting point, FRA will add about $15 and LHR about $20 each way.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:29 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Very good point. I was only interested in trying out CO, never have flown them. I will only do it if I can secure extra leg room a la E plus. If I have to pay much more to get the Extra leg room rows, that's a deal breaker.
I have never taken CO across the pond, but if those birds have the same Y seats (I can't see why not), you certainly don't want to try CO on such long flights (assuming you are flying a transcon to EWR to catch the flight to LIS). CO's seat padding gotta be one of the thinnest if there is any. My butt was sore even after midcons. I strongly urge you to consider UA unless the price differential is large.

LAX
Old Apr 30, 2011, 2:16 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
The high taxes are usually only in premium cabins and mostly for flights to/from LHR or FRA. Economy class and connections catch a break. While EWR will still be a cheaper connecting point, FRA will add about $15 and LHR about $20 each way.
I just looked on ITA for dates in October. I chose dates for low fares, so the actual fares for your dates will be different. I was looking at a 6 night stay travelling Sunday to Sunday.

SFO-EWR-LIS (CO TATL) is $1150. 11874 BIS miles.

SFO-FRA-LIS (UA TATL) is $1377. 13692 BIS miles.

That is less than $150 each way for the equivalent of an ELR.

Originally Posted by LAX
I have never taken CO across the pond, but if those birds have the same Y seats (I can't see why not), you certainly don't want to try CO on such long flights (assuming you are flying a transcon to EWR to catch the flight to LIS). CO's seat padding gotta be one of the thinnest if there is any. My butt was sore even after midcons. I strongly urge you to consider UA unless the price differential is large.

LAX
+1

I just flew CO TPAC on a 777 and it was one of the worst coach seats I have ever sat in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.