Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pathetic lack of transatlantic award flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pathetic lack of transatlantic award flights

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2011, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Angry Pathetic lack of transatlantic award flights

So I'm a flexible guy and am looking to book award flights for my honeymoon. I'm looking at Hawaii (any island) and October (pretty much any day), my only requirements are flying from London (where I live) and Business class (I'm not doing 20 hours in the back of the plane and I don't have sufficient miles for First).

I've been looking since January with regular calls to the call centre, checks online and with the ANA tool. Can I find anything, can I hell. the issue seems to be zero availability across the atlantic on any star alliance carrier via any route.

PE Voice have been useless and just keep saying call reservations. I'm at the end of my teather and am tempted to just spend the money and book with BA instead. Anyone got any better ideas?
Old Apr 27, 2011, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
This is a hard one to search all the way through. You should try to piece it together.

Try also using CO miles (transfer UA to CO) to fly VS TATL, then connecting to UA or US to Hawaii. VS has decent availability to ORD or IAD or other cities.

If you're open to a forced overnight on the way (nearly a requirement with this route), you should be able to pull this off.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 9:01 pm

I find that FC is usually available. Try one leg in FC and the return in Economy.
Also couldn't you try to get to Hawaii from the U.K. via the Far East? Let's say NH from LHR to HNL via NRT? NRT to HNL usually is quite affordable, miles or cash. Or anything through SIN, BKK, ICN and then connecting ot UA? Maybe even through FRA, I understand the LH A380 usually is available. Just a thought and trying to help.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:58 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
For UA, I think EU-Hawaii via Asia would exceed the MPM + 15% rule for UA, however, if you transfer to CO, they have very lenient routing rules and may permit this.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by ande777emt
For UA, I think EU-Hawaii via Asia would exceed the MPM + 15% rule for UA, however, if you transfer to CO, they have very lenient routing rules and may permit this.
Well, just tried to help this chap for his honeymoon plans.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ande777emt

I wouldn't necessarily rule it out. LHR-NRT-HNL isn't that out of the way. Depending on what the MPM + 15%, it could be feasible.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by channa
I wouldn't necessarily rule it out. LHR-NRT-HNL isn't that out of the way. Depending on what the MPM + 15%, it could be feasible.
Not just looking at miles, I figured that time wise there is not much if any of a difference. Hope it works out.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 5:31 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
I'm sure there are plenty of standard awards.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 5:35 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by rch4u
I'm sure there are plenty of standard awards.
Maybe, but if he does not have enough for F, he does not have enough for std awards.

Also is this the corect forum? I thought it was a typical DL rant.

Last edited by ffI; Apr 28, 2011 at 10:32 am
Old Apr 28, 2011, 5:53 am

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by channa
This is a hard one to search all the way through. You should try to piece it together.

Try also using CO miles (transfer UA to CO) to fly VS TATL, then connecting to UA or US to Hawaii. VS has decent availability to ORD or IAD or other cities.

If you're open to a forced overnight on the way (nearly a requirement with this route), you should be able to pull this off.
That might be the trick. Just did a quick search on co.com and found LHR-HNL, 10/24-10/31, business class for 120K RT.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by i_fly_to_much
That might be the trick. Just did a quick search on co.com and found LHR-HNL, 10/24-10/31, business class for 120K RT.
Break it up, and you'll find much more -- LHR-ORD/IAD, ORD/IAD-HNL. Then call it in to build it.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Thanks for all of the really helpful suggestions. I'll certainly look into joining OP and using VS. Does anyone happen to know the MPM LHR-Hawaii (I guess LIH is furthest)? Presumably ANA via NRT or SQ via SIN would be the target routes?
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:25 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
SQ doesn't go to HNL so you'd likely be far out of the way with that routing. Likely candidates are LHR-NRT-HNL, LHR-ICN-(NRT)-HNL, or potentially LHR-KIX-HNL depending on whether ANA is flying from Osaka at the moment...
Going east instead of west is untraditional but very nice from a transit perspective if the timings work well.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
There is a few TATL singles, but 2 seats seem to be hard to come by.

There is however a silver lining, there quite a bit of couples to ORD,BOS,EWR,MCO on Virgin available with CO miles, but may require overnights

LHR-LAX-HNL is only 2000 miles shorter than LHR-NRT-HNL... so it may be +15 MPM... someone with KVS can look that up for you.

Its really weird that October is so bad, while November has plenty of daily availability
Old Apr 28, 2011, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by rankourabu
LHR-LAX-HNL is only 2000 miles shorter than LHR-NRT-HNL... so it may be +15 MPM... someone with KVS can look that up for you.
LHR-HNL MPM is 8902 so LHR-NRT-HNL would fall within MPM+15% (with ~500 miles to spare)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.