Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated CPU on Awards for UA Premiers Who Hold An Eligible Chase/UA CC {ARCHIVE}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated CPU on Awards for UA Premiers Who Hold An Eligible Chase/UA CC {ARCHIVE}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2012, 3:16 pm
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
Angry Only time, that I got upset as a Platinum.

I know what you mean, because several years ago, I was #1 for an upgrade and there was ONE empty seat left at the closing of the door.
I remarked about being next for an upgrade, as well as, another FA mentioning it to the First class FA, who said she had already taken care of the situation, nervously to end the questioning.

She had spoken to a 'friend' across the aisle and 1 seat back of me before take off. After the meal service, she upgraded him to the empty seat in First. A rather large younger bro in working clothes, who more then filled up the seat.

On deplaning and First had exited, the Captain was standing next to her, and I said to her 'thanks for the upgrade'. The captain gave her a look , that made her want to disappear. Sorry I did not tell the story to him or report it to main office!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 5:44 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Working for us!!!

I booked two award tickets with separate PNRs using the Club card to pay the fees, and to-day at about T-72hrs both UGs cleared! The seat map showed 18F seats available...Yay!
My husband is the primary card holder, but both of us cleared.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by SFOFastAir
From a memo just put out on 19 June 2012:

Primary cardmembers for certain MileagePlus credit cards issued by Chase are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPU) on the day of departure at the airport when traveling on Award tickets.

Note: Customers must advise the airport agent that they want to be placed on the upgrade standby list and present their eligible credit card. This can only be requested at the airport on the day of departure. This functionality is not available via self-service check in platforms at this time.

Reference: DRS: GG CHASE / GG UP CODE
It's nice to have a GG code to refer to. Since 3/3 I had one reward reservation eligible for this.... the outbound upgraded no problem. On the return, I didn't even make it to the list. I was out of town enjoying myself so I didn't want the abuse that would likely go along with asking to be added to the list by someone at UA who didn't know the rule...and it is arguably obscure. (Yes I've been beaten into submission and know it is better not to ask as it can bring drama.) Now I can give a GG code if that were to happen.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 1:17 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by flykodo
Perhaps someone else already posted, but here's the list of eligable cards for CPU upgrades at the bottom.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...e/default.aspx
Thanks! Was looking for this! Maybe OP or a moderator can put in the first post? I am sure many will be asking this...
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:44 am

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
I read this thread and few other threads and now I am totally confused. I just booked 2 round trip award tickets (for me & my dw) paid taxes using my Chase Mileage Plus Explorer card. I do not have any status in UA. All the 3 legs are booked in XN class which seems like it is upgrade eligible. Since I am the primary card holder I think I should be eligible for CPU and ask to be on UG list. My question is, will my wife also be in UG list as the booking class is XN and the primary card holder benefits pass on?

If not, will having both of us on separate PNR's increase the chances of her being on UG list?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by nitu000
I read this thread and few other threads and now I am totally confused. I just booked 2 round trip award tickets (for me & my dw) paid taxes using my Chase Mileage Plus Explorer card. I do not have any status in UA. All the 3 legs are booked in XN class which seems like it is upgrade eligible. Since I am the primary card holder I think I should be eligible for CPU and ask to be on UG list. My question is, will my wife also be in UG list as the booking class is XN and the primary card holder benefits pass on?

If not, will having both of us on separate PNR's increase the chances of her being on UG list?
Sorry to rain on your parade, but if you don't have status, you don't get the chance for a CPU on award ticket.

Rules stated here from united.com:
Upgrading award tickets
Premier members who are primary cardholders for certain Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades when traveling on award tickets on United-operated flights. The following credit cards qualify for this benefit:

MileagePlus Explorer
MileagePlus Explorer for Business
OnePass Plus
World MasterCard for Business
Presidential Plus
Presidential Plus for Business
MileagePlus Club Card
MileagePlus Club Business Card
Complimentary Premier Upgrades on award tickets will be prioritized after the lowest paid fare class. This benefit does not apply to companions traveling on award tickets.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:32 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by nitu000

I'm in a similar situation and have the same question. I've got the UA CC and I've booked two award seats on domestic flights for me and my GF, both in XN. We're both 1k. I've received upgrades on XN flights earlier this year so I know the process is working for me.

So is it better to split the PNR when traveling with two on award tix?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by mmack
I booked two award tickets with separate PNRs using the Club card to pay the fees, and to-day at about T-72hrs both UGs cleared! The seat map showed 18F seats available...Yay!
My husband is the primary card holder, but both of us cleared.
Awesome. Is there a requirement to use the card for the fees? Out of habit, I used a different card for two upcoming reservations. I would cancel and rebook, but there is no longer any availability.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA - million Miler
program has been .......ized

The actual BIS frequent flyers are being relegated to the back of the bus. UA is now providing more benefits that were reserved for FF to their Chase cardholders. It's almost a joke at boarding - there are so many categories of "special privileged" flyers that only a few remain back for general boarding. I've flown over 1.25 million BIS miles and seen my Premier GOLD status dwindle.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by WhyPayRent
Awesome. Is there a requirement to use the card for the fees? Out of habit, I used a different card for two upcoming reservations. I would cancel and rebook, but there is no longer any availability.
I don't know..this is all new to me. I think it may help? But it seems really you just have to have the card, and be premier status

To follow up, the original Sunday flight went mx, we re-booked on the Monday flight and I got the agent to push the UGs to the Monday flight, as by then there were only 2 seats together in F. Coming back the following Sunday our UGs cleared at about T 72hrs: loads are light .

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I'm in a similar situation and have the same question. I've got the UA CC and I've booked two award seats on domestic flights for me and my GF, both in XN. We're both 1k. I've received upgrades on XN flights earlier this year so I know the process is working for me.

So is it better to split the PNR when traveling with two on award tix?
I did make two separate bookings, hence 2 PNRs. That was because of other peoples experiences posted on this thread. My husband is the card holder.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 16, 2012 at 2:09 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:40 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Such a frustrating benefit. I'm not on the waitlist for a flight tomorrow. So I called in. After about 15 minutes, the rep found what I must assume is GG CHASE and read it to me.

Usually, as a Gold, the only person available to me at check-in at SFO is someone from AirServ. No way is that person going to be able to figure out how to add me to the list. So now I wait in the Special Services line?

It sounds like, reading back in this thread, that if R and/or RN > 0 at your window, it will probably clear. Otherwise, you disappear into an ancient IT abyss and have to fight your way back onto the list.

Argh.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Such a frustrating benefit. I'm not on the waitlist for a flight tomorrow. So I called in. After about 15 minutes, the rep found what I must assume is GG CHASE and read it to me.

Usually, as a Gold, the only person available to me at check-in at SFO is someone from AirServ. No way is that person going to be able to figure out how to add me to the list. So now I wait in the Special Services line?

It sounds like, reading back in this thread, that if R and/or RN > 0 at your window, it will probably clear. Otherwise, you disappear into an ancient IT abyss and have to fight your way back onto the list.

Argh.
It's been working fine (even as a 2P) if you get upgraded at your window, but if you don't get the EUA, that's when it's a crapshoot and you sometimes are and sometimes aren't on the waitlist at the gate.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 8:33 am

Another Data Point

Received an upgrade this morning for an award reservation at exactly T-72 hours. Flight is currently booked 23 out of 34 seats according to the UA mobile site.

Additional information: I'm a 1K who holds the Chase MP Club Card. The taxes were paid with the Club Card. Reservation was original booked in XN; now R with the elite upgrade. ^
Old Jul 20, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I am glad to see they finally automatized the process without having to "force my name" on the upgrade list.
It worked for me a few days ago;
Finally I am seeing some changes I like. I also think the list of changes I like is slowly and steadily growing.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Booked a reward ticket for my wife to fly YYT-EWR-IAH and back a few weeks ago; ticket was booked through my account using my miles and fees paid on my Chase card. Wife has no status. She was upgraded on all legs at T-48.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.