Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upcoming Pacific Gauge Changes for CO/UA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2011, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trust77
Personally, And granted they use the three class 777, I am looking forward to flying Intl First for the sake of the bed. Yes, I know that it may be The old 777 bed, but it beats the current recliner on CO 764 a/c.

I look forward to the schedules loading at which time we'll know which 777 it is.
I'm pretty sure GUM will see the ghetto 777 that's 2 cabin.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 9:10 pm

If they put a domestic 777 on a HNLGUM trip, I'm sure it isn't going to go over to well with customers who are used to the 767-400. Yes mainland- Honolulu is domestic, but HNL-GUM is considered intl. Sucks to see a ghetto 777 operate this rte. Surely UA can put one of those newly configured 3 class with new f suites on this trip, or better yet if they want to stay 2 class, y not put a CO 777 on this rte, after all it is a legacy CO rte. Also looks like no more widebody flying for the GUM base until those crews get qualified on UA aircraft.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 9:35 pm

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Rumour: Intra-Asia UA/CO cross-fleeting

I heard this from a friend currently working at UA.

HNL-GUM upgraded from CO 767 to UA 777 effective 28OCT11
GUM-NRT upgraded from CO 767 to UA 777 effective 30OCT11
HKG-SGN downgraded from UA 747 to CO 737 effective 30OCT11
HKG-SIN downgraded from UA 747 to CO 737 effective 30OCT11

GUM-OKA resumption using CO 737 effective 28SEP11
NRT-HKG resumption using CO 737 effective 30OCT11

CO 737 is supposedly from the the former 'Continental Micronesia'. Not sure what's going to happen to the unused 747s for the HKG route (that are supposed to continue onto SIN/SGN).
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
not a rumor
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ges-co-ua.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...m-changes.html
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:25 pm

There's already a thread on this, not sure how to inclde the link since I'm on my phone, however it isn't a rumor it was from an internal memo.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by wanaflyforless
Those are relatively short flights that are getting downgauged.
That's not the point. UA is playing in an international/transpac market where it's service is already lousy. I just did ORD-HKG-SIN and back last week and several times in 2010 and I have to say it's bad enough dealing with american standards of service on such a long flight, but to now have to deal with american standards of seating, and that too, Continental's seats for the last 3 hours of a 20 hour journey is not going to be fun. It makes me wonder if UA is actually serious about SIN service at all. Now, if the HKG-SIN 737 is going to have plenty of BF seating, I suppose it's somewhat acceptable, but I would doubt that.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K
If UA is going to run a HKG-SIN service to be in the game, and not (as currently) just to keep the 744s flying between SFO-HKG runs, then it would be nice if the schedule were more convenient. Right now, I'm not likely to use UA to get between SIN and HKG mainly because the arrival (12 am) and departure (6 am) times at SIN force you to use a taxi with a hefty nighttime surcharge. I'm an airport train type.

However, UA "in the game" against SQ, CX, etc., with domestic config 737s, is a total joke. If UA is trying to hit as many destinations as possible, that would explain the Delta ads taunting the merger.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:42 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by Axey
Can't wait to see UA sales reps trying to sell a 737 on HKG-SIN to their corporate contract holders vis-a-vis SQ. Gotta be an awesome convo ^
I wonder what the premium SQ passengers will do now as I know often times they did fly with UA SIN-HKG. I am presuming due to the earlier departure time over the first SQ flight.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Let's see. For SFO-SIN, one can simply fly through NRT. It departs SFO 20 minutes after the HKG flight and arrives at SIN 15 minutes later. Is that such a big deal?

For ORD-SIN, flying through NRT means leaving ORD 47 minutes earlier (and again, arriving 15 minutes later). Still, not that big a deal.

Coming back, you can leave SIN an hour later, by going through NRT. An extra hour of sleep for many.

And as pointed out by others already, those flying in coach will appreciate the chance of complimentary upgrade on the HKG-SIN leg.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
If UA is going to run a HKG-SIN service to be in the game, and not (as currently) just to keep the 744s flying between SFO-HKG runs, then it would be nice if the schedule were more convenient. Right now, I'm not likely to use UA to get between SIN and HKG mainly because the arrival (12 am) and departure (6 am) times at SIN force you to use a taxi with a hefty nighttime surcharge. I'm an airport train type.
I hate the timing of the SIN-HKG flight too, but my cure for that is moving over to the Crowne-Plaza the evening before my flight. Get up at 4:45, stroll down to T3 at 5:15, check-in, clear immigration and be on the aircraft at 5:30 for a 6:30 departure.

Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
However, UA "in the game" against SQ, CX, etc., with domestic config 737s, is a total joke. If UA is trying to hit as many destinations as possible, that would explain the Delta ads taunting the merger.
Couldn't agree more.

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Let's see. For SFO-SIN, one can simply fly through NRT. It departs SFO 20 minutes after the HKG flight and arrives at SIN 15 minutes later. Is that such a big deal?

For ORD-SIN, flying through NRT means leaving ORD 47 minutes earlier (and again, arriving 15 minutes later). Still, not that big a deal.

Coming back, you can leave SIN an hour later, by going through NRT. An extra hour of sleep for many.

And as pointed out by others already, those flying in coach will appreciate the chance of complimentary upgrade on the HKG-SIN leg.
Fair point.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 16, 2011 at 11:20 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Apr 16, 2011, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764
Without a doubt. GUM was a major profit center for old CO (virtually no competition, high fares, lot of cargo) and the military buildup will only help.
Just don't get suckered into thinking Guam is remotely like Hawaii. Guam is a dump. The government is basically bankrupt, the place has more in common with the Phillippines than the USA. The hotels in particular are appallingly bad; this includes the Hilton and the Marriott where there has been little maintenance in years. Crime is also appallingly high.

If looking for tropical paradise, go the extra three hours to Cairns.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
If they put a domestic 777 on a HNLGUM trip, I'm sure it isn't going to go over to well with customers who are used to the 767-400. Yes mainland- Honolulu is domestic, but HNL-GUM is considered intl. Sucks to see a ghetto 777 operate this rte. Surely UA can put one of those newly configured 3 class with new f suites on this trip, or better yet if they want to stay 2 class, y not put a CO 777 on this rte, after all it is a legacy CO rte. Also looks like no more widebody flying for the GUM base until those crews get qualified on UA aircraft.
Please. GUM is not a high profile route by any stretch of the imagination and certainly not worthy of a 3 cabin aircraft. As another poster put it, it's a dump.

If HNL-GUM does get a 3-cabin, I'd run far and fast because that's an indication that the new UA is even more clueless than I originally thought.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by UNITED959
Please. GUM is not a high profile route by any stretch of the imagination and certainly not worthy of a 3 cabin aircraft. As another poster put it, it's a dump.

If HNL-GUM does get a 3-cabin, I'd run far and fast because that's an indication that the new UA is even more clueless than I originally thought.
GUM is not a dump as some of you here claim it to be. I'm curious as to wht everyone who calls GUM a dump is basing ur assumptions on. Also regarding the 3 class 777 I was merely suggesting it so travelers would have a top notch product rather thn tht domestic 777 which isn't to good on the inside, but I'd rather see a CO 777 with it's nose to tail avod doing tht rte instead of the dumpy UA 777 in the domestic configuration. Hopefully those 2 class 777s are reconfigured to have new interiors and nose to tail avod. You knw keep the 2 class config, but reconfigure it to 3-3-3 in y class.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by cchuang1980
There is another carrier HX (Hong Kong Airlines) using 737-800 on this route as a note.
Just right after Japanese tradegy did they switch into 738~ But at normal times they go with fully-equipped long-haul A332 on this route.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:21 am

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by jimmc66
Just don't get suckered into thinking Guam is remotely like Hawaii. Guam is a dump. The government is basically bankrupt, the place has more in common with the Phillippines than the USA. The hotels in particular are appallingly bad; this includes the Hilton and the Marriott where there has been little maintenance in years. Crime is also appallingly high.

If looking for tropical paradise, go the extra three hours to Cairns.
@jimmc66, I am not a Guam apologist by any means, but your comments are harsh. Guam is definitely not as nice as Hawaii, but this is part of the United States and thus has US based business people going back and forth on a regular basis.

I have regularly stayed at the Guam Hilton around 25 nights per year for the last 12 years. I am not going to disagree that the Hilton in Guam is not as nice as the Hiltons in Hawaii or Bora Bora. That said, they have renovated most of the tower rooms over the last few years. That includes new furniture, new flat screen tvs and new beds. The executive lounge was updated a few years ago when it was moved to the seventh floor. A new seafood restaurant was added to replace their older Japanese restaurant. I am not going to comment about the Marriot since I don't stay there but please get your facts straight about the Hilton.

I also have no idea what you are talking about regarding crime. Yes, they have their share of robberies, alcohol and drug related crimes, and domestic violence, but I have never felt unsafe anywhere on the island at any time. It is a small place so just about every police incident gets written up in the local paper, so again I do not know where you are getting your facts but please post a link if you can back up your claim.

Regarding the switch to a 777, I am a small business owner and would love the opportunity to switch from CO's businessfirst to the international first class. However, I do not know how much more I would pay, mainly because flights from HNL-GUM and GUM-HNL are both daytime flights, and I typically do not sleep much on these flights. I would be disappointed if they change to a domestic 2 class plane, but since this market is a monopoly, there is not much I could do, except complain.

There have been rumors that Delta may try to challenge CO in this market with a nonstop from LAX to GUM and if this was the case, I would certainly consider this over the current or new plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.