Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2011, 8:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pm6163
I am UA 1K, matched CO Platinum.

Do we still earn 2 CR1s per quarter in 2011 on 10k UA miles flown?

I had more than 10K UA & CO combined miles in last quarter, but UA said the UA & CO miles are not to be combined regarding the CR1 earning, so no CR1s for me. My recent trip includes UA metal & CO metal, I chose to credit all miles to MP (FF program selection done on CO web site), but I received the miles on UA metal to my MP, and miles on CO metal to my OP, do they credit this way even though I chose to credit ALL miles to MP?
UA has stated that grandfathered 1Ks (from 2010) will for 2011 earn quarterly CR1s based on 10K BUS from both UA & CO.
Based on reports it appears only those miles credited to MP (either on UA or CO metal) are presently be counted for the 10K BIS requirement -- this is unclear but those who have credited CO OP for some of flights are not (at his time) getting credit for those trips.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 7:41 am

Programs: CO Plat' SPG Gold
Will our one pass number change when it is transferred to Mileage Plus?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:18 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hunter399
There has been no formal statement one way or the other on this -- one would hope this is would be a part of the expected end of September 2012 program update.
It does appear the OP accounts will continue to exist into Q1 of 2012.

Welcome to FT!, hunter399
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat., 1.52 MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Assuming the CO flights were credited to MP, then one should allow 2-3 days for posting. Probably would not get concerned until 5 days or so have passed. How long has it been since the flights were taken?
Well.
Today I decided to get concerned and called MP+ to sort out why I recieved only 3 out of 5 credits. One missing flight was on Sept 3, and the other was on Sept 6.
A very nice customer service representative considered the facts and said that she refers my request for flight credit to CO.
It may take up to 3 weeks to get the flights credits, but would likely happen sooner. We'll see.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.591 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Nothing formally announced yet but there is a lot of informed speculation suggesting that the OP# is the one which will survive. We'll see eventually.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 9:15 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I apologize if this has been asked before, as there are a lot of pages on this thread.

I just realized that I can do a status match on Continental. Well, it finally went through and I am now Platinum on Continental.

So, my question is, when is it better to use my Platinum status and when is it better to use my Premiere Executive status?

Is it better to always use my Platinum status?
Old Sep 14, 2011, 9:23 am
Senior Moderator
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Most seem to believe that during the time the two airlines are operating separately, it's best to use the status of the airline operating the flight you're booking (i.e., CO Plat status on a CO flight). Once full integration occurs, this issue will be moot as there'll be one, merged FF program and one set of status levels.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
According to a letter I received regarding my CO CC,

"On January 1, 2012 your OnePass account will become a MileagePlus account. Rest assured your miles are safe and your eight digit OnePass account number will not change"
Old Sep 15, 2011, 8:46 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Lifetime Silver, Delta MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat, Lifetime Hilton Honors Diamond
New to Continental/United Mileage Plus - Questions

I'm a Diamond with Delta and will be flying with Continental for the first time today (along with every week over the next 4 weeks at least). I've got a couple questions I'd appreciate any help with!

1) I just printed out my boarding pass and there is no zone boarding number as I'm used to with Delta. How does Continental board their planes (i.e. in what order)? I'm stuck flying an E145 on most flights and on some of them I have seat 3C which shows as the most forward row (i.e. no place to put my laptop bag under a seat in front of me). I have some tight connections so my biggest concern is room to put my laptop bag in the overhead directly above me when I board.

2) I'm trying to decide if it is worth trying to do a status match. I may only be flying with them for the 4 weeks mentioned and I'll always be on an E145 or CRJ200 so there are no upgrade opportunities but it may aid in my question #1 (depending on the answer) and give me better service if a flight is canceled, I'm bumped, etc. Any advice there? How long does it take to get a status match and what is the most efficient way to go about it?

Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 2011, 8:56 am

Programs: CO Platinum / BA Gold
CO boards elites then by row in reverse order. The E145 doesn't have much overhead space, so you should probably get a seat further back.

I'm not sure about matches, I seem to recall seeing something posted here that CO/UA are only doing challenges at the moment. There's a consolidated thread here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...nental-14.html

(Matching on CO is going to be better if you have all CO flights. I would certainly do it if it's free because it'll help you with misconnects/flight re-routing/weather delays/other IRROPS. Matching would also get you a fair chunk of bonus RDM - even Silver gets you the 500 mile min per segment and a 25% bonus.)

Last edited by rruaco; Sep 15, 2011 at 11:29 am
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Lifetime Silver, Delta MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat, Lifetime Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by rruaco
CO boards elites then by row in reverse order. The E145 doesn't have much overhead space, so you should probably either get a seat further back.

I'm not sure about matches, I seem to recall seeing something posted here that CO/UA are only doing challenges at the moment. There's a consolidated thread here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...nental-14.html

(Matching on CO is going to be better if you have all CO flights. I would certainly do it if it's free because it'll help you with misconnects/flight re-routing/weather delays/other IRROPS. Matching would also get you a fair chunk of bonus RDM - even Silver gets you the 500 mile min per segment and a 25% bonus.)
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, for 3 of the 4 flights next week that was the only seat open to me with non-status (had to pay extra for them). I've sent in a request for a match or challenge. Hopefully they process it quickly!
Old Sep 15, 2011, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.591 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Too late now but you would have eventually received a seat for free had you not paid for one.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 11:31 am

Another Newbie question

Hello everybody. I'm not experienced at all with award travel and seek your advice. I have searched the forums -- there is a ton of info here -- but have not seen this particular situation. I apologize in advance if this has been covered and I missed it!

Some months ago, I booked UA award travel for 2 from IAD to HNL, using up nearly all of my UA points. I am a premier and we are in economy plus. However, I notice that we are not upgrade eligible.

I would like to re-book the same flights through AMEX and pay with points there, then use my (reclaimed, presumably) MP points to upgrade.

Is this possible? If I book a flight through AMEX will I be able to "see" the flight through United's site? If so, will I be able to upgrade to 1st with points?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Fin
Old Sep 15, 2011, 11:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by fingroupb
Hello everybody. I'm not experienced at all with award travel and seek your advice. I have searched the forums -- there is a ton of info here -- but have not seen this particular situation. I apologize in advance if this has been covered and I missed it!

Some months ago, I booked UA award travel for 2 from IAD to HNL, using up nearly all of my UA points. I am a premier and we are in economy plus. However, I notice that we are not upgrade eligible.

I would like to re-book the same flights through AMEX and pay with points there, then use my (reclaimed, presumably) MP points to upgrade.

Is this possible? If I book a flight through AMEX will I be able to "see" the flight through United's site? If so, will I be able to upgrade to 1st with points?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Fin
Welcome to FT! Correct you can't upgrade your current award ticket. Yes you can redeposit your miles however you'll pay a re-deposit fee of $125 per ticket (that's the discounted price for being Premier). If AMEX books your ticket as a paid ticket then yes you'll be able to see it at United.com and upgrade using your miles, or get on the list for a free upgrade (be sure your companion is on the same record as you so they will also be eligible). Keep in mind if you use miles to upgrade there is also a copay of $125 per person each way.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12

Too late now but you would have eventually received a seat for free had you not paid for one.
Yeah, it was a matter of not knowing Continental's policies I guess. I've seen too many Delta flights that were oversold and passengers bumped. As someone without status and who only gets to spend 3 nights a week in my own bed, it was too important to make sure I have a seat so I can get home. The needed schedule was a last minute decision by the company I work for so I didn't have a lot of leeway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.