Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2013, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jatink129

Called Chase to verify, and they say that only the primary card holder gets first checked bag for free.

Just wondering if anyone has any recent experiences with this?
Only primary.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by airfly56
I want to book an award YYZ>TLV in advance using UA miles on air canada. But UA only opens up 330 days before and AC opens almost a full year. I dont want the seats to be booked up by the time UA opens them up. AM I missing anything or it just can't be done?
I thought of doing one ways so i dont have to wait for the return to open also but am hesitant in case i cant book the return.
You're missing the fact that the best inventory is not at 330 days out.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
You're missing the fact that the best inventory is not at 330 days out.
on routes to TLV, from YYZ or NYC, when is the best time?
Old Aug 22, 2013, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by airfly56
on routes to TLV, from YYZ or NYC, when is the best time?
Excluding holidays, it's noted here that 2-4 months out is the best timing. There is also a lot more available the last few weeks, but that might be cutting it close for many.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 5:19 am
RNE

Availability is so capricious, any prediction is a shot in the dark.

I am one month out and still no saver availability on the date I need (a Saturday, alas). Been that way since I booked it at 330 days out. And, yes, I have ExpertFlyer watching for me. May open up days before departure, but there's no assurance at all.

RNE, liking MileagePlus overall, but it ain't the cat's meow.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 8:34 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Using Miles to Upgrade Confirmation Process

Situation: I am confirmed for upgrade according to United's website (from economy to business/first domestic flight). I had to use miles + coPay to confirm the upgrade.

Question: My flight is in a few days, and according to their website, my points have NOT been deducted. CAN I use the un-deducted miles to upgrade another segment? If so, would that cancel my already confirmed upgrade?

I'm asking what would happen if I did that - since their online system is allowing me to do so...

Thanks.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 8:52 am
Senior Moderator
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
JonnyontheGo, welcome to FlyerTalk!
How long ago did your upgrade clear? Deducted miles can take several days to show on your M+ balance. Are you sure that United processed the upgrade as a Miles-and-copay upgrade?

I would advise not using those undeducted miles for a time. Although, if used for another purpose, it may or may not jeopardize your cleared upgrade. I've seen threads going both ways, where UA may allow a negative balance to be cured by your future accrual and I saw one where United demanded prompt attention to the matter to avoid canceling an award ticket bought with miles used for another purpose.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 10:54 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
JonnyontheGo, welcome to FlyerTalk!
How long ago did your upgrade clear? Deducted miles can take several days to show on your M+ balance. Are you sure that United processed the upgrade as a Miles-and-copay upgrade?

I would advise not using those undeducted miles for a time. Although, if used for another purpose, it may or may not jeopardize your cleared upgrade. I've seen threads going both ways, where UA may allow a negative balance to be cured by your future accrual and I saw one where United demanded prompt attention to the matter to avoid canceling an award ticket bought with miles used for another purpose.
Thanks for the prompt response!

The upgrade was cleared (I assume by "Upgrade Confirmed" next to my flight segments on United's members reservation portal) two days ago.

I am not sure if they processed as mileage+co-pay but I have paid for it already and it has been charged to my CC.

One more thing to note, the portal does have this message in red: ! A modification has been made to your itinerary. Please contact United Reservations to have your ticket reissued.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonnyontheGO
Thanks for the prompt response!

The upgrade was cleared (I assume by "Upgrade Confirmed" next to my flight segments on United's members reservation portal) two days ago.

I am not sure if they processed as mileage+co-pay but I have paid for it already and it has been charged to my CC.

One more thing to note, the portal does have this message in red: ! A modification has been made to your itinerary. Please contact United Reservations to have your ticket reissued.
Once they clear the reservation, the miles *should* be taken away.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 5:15 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Upon earning 75K PQMs, you will receive 2 Regional Premier Upgrade (RPU) e-certs. This will be available to use on any flight that departures before January 31 after the next calendar year. (If earned today, good until Jan 2015). These are good for requesting an upgrade any time after booking (CPU are not available until close to departure T-72 for Plats) and RPUs are good on any CPU eligible flights (plus PS and east coast flights to Hawaii). See the previous links for more info.

At every 25K PQM threshold after 75K (100K, 125K, ....) you can earn 2 additional RPUs (plus other benefits, 1K, GPUs, ...)
Say I am flying in economy and I use one of these certificates. What happens if there are no open seats in business? Is the certificate wasted, or do I get it back? And if there are no open seats in business but are open seats in first, will I get upgraded to first?
Old Aug 23, 2013, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by agp423
Say I am flying in economy and I use one of these certificates. What happens if there are no open seats in business? Is the certificate wasted, or do I get it back? And if there are no open seats in business but are open seats in first, will I get upgraded to first?
rpu/gpu are deposited if the upgrade does not clear. if you dont see the redeposit, call in.
a gpu will not give you double upgrade from economy to globalfirst. gpu only upgrades 1 class higher.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 7:03 pm

Hi there... I'm new to FlyerTalk so I apologize in advance for the amateur question, but I should be making elite status on UA for the first time and am wondering whether I should be expecting anything in the mail. Perhaps a card or letter?

Additionally, will the new pqd requirements allow dollars spent on star alliance carriers to count towards your $ total if the flight is booked directly from the United website (i.e. code-shares)?

Thanks
Old Aug 23, 2013, 7:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, rtownsend150
Originally Posted by rtownsend150
... I'm new to FlyerTalk so I apologize in advance for the amateur question, but I should be making elite status on UA for the first time and am wondering whether I should be expecting anything in the mail. Perhaps a card or letter? ...
Once you make Silver (the first level of UA elite status) you will after typically 4-6 weeks receive a Silver Elite Welcome Package with a Silver Elite card. In reality, there is little (if any need) for the actual card. Within a few days of making 25K PQMs, UA systems will recognized your status, you will be automatically eligible for your Silver benefits.

Originally Posted by rtownsend150
...Additionally, will the new pqd requirements allow dollars spent on star alliance carriers to count towards your $ total if the flight is booked directly from the United website (i.e. code-shares)? ....
yes, learn more at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ification.html and http://www.mileageplusupdates.com/faqs.html
Old Aug 23, 2013, 10:01 pm

Great, thanks for your help!
Old Aug 25, 2013, 9:04 pm

Award Routing Rules

I'm new to the forums and have a UA award ticket routing question...

While doing some research I came across some posts that hinted at "capitalizing" on UA award ticket routing by "looking very closely" at UA's routing policies. The specifics weren't mentioned, but seem to imply that rookies need to brush up on UA's award routing rules to maximize award tickets. Can someone here provide a little context as to what these posts refer to?

I'm about to book a trip from Detroit to Bogota, Bogota to Panama City, and then Panama City back to Detroit for 40,000 UA miles in economy. Is there a way I can add more destinations on the same award itinerary? 2 open-jaws are permitted, correct? So that means I could fly Detroit-Quito, travel by land from Quito-Bogota, fly Bogota-Cartagena, travel by land from Cartagena-Medellin, fly Medellin-Panama City, then fly Panama City-Detroit to complete the itinerary. Quality of destinations aside, if I book that itinerary would I be maximizing my miles?

Thanks for the help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.