Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Question about United vouchers on Continental

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about United vouchers on Continental

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2011, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Since they're issued by UA, calling CO won't do much good.

OP, they're supposed to now work on CO, but some agents may not have heard the new rules. I'd suggest you call UA, hold your ticket with CO segs, and then go to the airport and have it ticketed. It will be on UA ticket stock (016), instead of COs (005), but you should be able to take care of business with one agent. If the agent says no, politely ask for a supervisor.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 6:43 pm

Programs: kayaker
another data point

Used UA VDB Type B voucher to book segment with UAX, UA, and CO segments. CSR "Fred" from Bangalore insisted that I could not use the vouchers for an itin with a CO-operated segment. Vouchers state explicitly "UA/UAX only." Upon repeated insisting, "Fred" placed the reservation on hold and let me pay at the airport, where a UAX outstation ticket counter processed my voucher+residual on CC without batting an eyelid.

Off topic: Chatting with agent who mentioned how overwhelming all the new "training" that's thrown at them daily is. When I asked what would make her life the easiest, she talked about her dread of switching everything to CO SHARES. I found this particularly interesting, given that the same contract staff at this station handle both UA and CO express so she was speaking from experience, not from a fear of the unknown.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I just used the $50 e-cert from my UA Select Visa on a mixed UAX/CO/UA itin. .bomb couldn't process my reservation properly, though the voucher itself wasn't really the problem. With or without voucher, my simple CVG-EWR round-trip, with a connection in ORD each way, couldn't be done online. The options I wanted, even though they are perfectly valid connections, weren't showing up when searching as an RT with or without the e-cert number. Using multi-city, couldn't build the connection myself with the e-cert (gave me an error when searching), but was fine without it.

Took ~ an hour with web support to get it booked, the first half of which the agent tried to repeat booking it through the web site, despite me telling him several times during that period the right segments won't show, and he'd need to do it on the backend system they have. Finally, that happened, and needed to speak to a supervisor to actually get it all ticketed, but never got an argument about segments being CO (despite a specific UA/UAX only requirement on the e-cert).
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:47 am

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.
Originally Posted by o mikros
Used UA VDB Type B voucher to book segment with UAX, UA, and CO segments. CSR "Fred" from Bangalore insisted that I could not use the vouchers for an itin with a CO-operated segment. Vouchers state explicitly "UA/UAX only." Upon repeated insisting, "Fred" placed the reservation on hold and let me pay at the airport, where a UAX outstation ticket counter processed my voucher+residual on CC without batting an eyelid.
This past week I also successfully used two $100 bump vouchers to ticket a combo UA/CO intinerary at COS.

Hint: Originally tried to use a $150 ecert to ticket, but when the 1K reservations agent contacted Web Support to apply the ecert, WS claimed that the ecert had already been used. I knew that was not the case, as I closely track my ecerts. Had to then wait two days to call 1K customer service yesterday to find out why I was being told this.

Turns out that I had apparently input that ecert number into United.com several times when trying to ticket a multi-segment trip some time back, but the website spit out an error message and wouldn't allow use. Customer service stated that unsuccessfully inputting an ecert into the website several times will (often?) result in it showing up as "already used". I was then provided with a new $150 ecert, good for another year, since this one was to expire on 8 December, which was my return date. Thanks CS!

Last edited by ColoBill1; Nov 29, 2011 at 8:19 pm
Old Nov 29, 2011, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Next time you have one of those voucher, just call UA and tell them what you are doing, they will wave the booking fee since thier system can not handle those vouchers.. I have used two of then in the past and both times had no issue calling UA..

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I just used the $50 e-cert from my UA Select Visa on a mixed UAX/CO/UA itin. .bomb couldn't process my reservation properly, though the voucher itself wasn't really the problem. With or without voucher, my simple CVG-EWR round-trip, with a connection in ORD each way, couldn't be done online. The options I wanted, even though they are perfectly valid connections, weren't showing up when searching as an RT with or without the e-cert number. Using multi-city, couldn't build the connection myself with the e-cert (gave me an error when searching), but was fine without it.

Took ~ an hour with web support to get it booked, the first half of which the agent tried to repeat booking it through the web site, despite me telling him several times during that period the right segments won't show, and he'd need to do it on the backend system they have. Finally, that happened, and needed to speak to a supervisor to actually get it all ticketed, but never got an argument about segments being CO (despite a specific UA/UAX only requirement on the e-cert).
Old Nov 29, 2011, 7:23 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
I have $250 coupons from United. Can I book a sfo-lhr flight on UA metal through CO web site and use the UA coupons?
Can I do this on-line or do I need to call the 1K dask? Or call CO? It sounds like UA coupons are ok to use on CO now.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by mmack
I have $250 coupons from United. Can I book a sfo-lhr flight on UA metal through CO web site and use the UA coupons?
Can I do this on-line or do I need to call the 1K dask? Or call CO? It sounds like UA coupons are ok to use on CO now.
If you want UA flights and have UA certs you need to do this through UA. CO doesn't factor in unless the CO-coded flights are cheaper (definitely possible). Either way, UA needs to book the ticket for you.

Call UA and do the transaction and they won't charge you a phone service fee since you're using vouchers. Otherwise, you can do it online assuming it's an e-cert. If it's paper coupons you can only book it over the phone and then mail the coupons in or bring them to your nearest airport.

-RM
Old Feb 12, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Can someone please update on what the current situation is regarding CO issued vouchers? Can they be used on both UA and CO metal?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by GBadger
Can someone please update on what the current situation is regarding CO issued vouchers? Can they be used on both UA and CO metal?
Yes. Book the ticket as you would on CO.com (the CO website can now find all UA-operated flights also marketed by UA), but on the payment page select the "Redeem a travel certificate" option. Enter the code and PIN and it will apply the amount to your bill.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
sweet-- thanks. Go Badgers .
Old Feb 12, 2012, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by GBadger
Go Badgers .
I might live in MSN now, but AUS is where my heart is. Hook 'em!
Old Feb 14, 2012, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
for clarification :

I have 2 sets of $400 UA vouchers.

1) if I want to combine them to have $800 buy a fully refundable/ no change fee $400 flight, cancel it, and then use the type b + credit towards an itinerary I desire. correct?

2) if I want to fly CM from lax to mvd, would I then buy 2 fully refundable fares, cancel, and book a. CM flight on UA codeshare?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by stupidzbu
1) if I want to combine them to have $800 buy a fully refundable/ no change fee $400 flight, cancel it, and then use the type b + credit towards an itinerary I desire. correct?
CO does not have the capability to combine two unused tickets against a new one. So if you're going to do this, hurry up and do it in the next couple weeks while we're still on UA's more flexible systems.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by channa
CO does not have the capability to combine two unused tickets against a new one. So if you're going to do this, hurry up and do it in the next couple weeks while we're still on UA's more flexible systems.
so buy 2 fully refundable tickets, cancel them then use both ecerts on UA to book the cm flight.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:15 pm

So I called UA premier exec line and asked

"I need to book a refundable fare that I might have to change or cancel. I got $400 worth of 'Type B' travel credit. If I use that to buy a refundable fare and I need to cancel, what happens to the credit?"

2 agents told me that I lose the vouchers.

I then read the face of the voucher that says "non-transferable, non-refundable" etc

I ask because I don't want to buy a useless ticket, then try to cancel and get screwed out of this $400 voucher.

EDIT:

confirmed that if I buy a refundable ticket and request a monetary refund, then I lose the voucher. But, if I buy a refundable ticket and use it towards another ticket, I keep the full value.

problem solved... now to find a $400 refundable ticket

EDIT #2:

After searching for the lowest unrestricted fare, I found CO SEA - SFO is a $415 fare in economy, as close to $400 as you can get. On UA the same route is $322

SEA - PDX is a $265 fare unrestricted

Everything else is retarded-ly expensive. These are, of course, one-way fares

Last edited by stupidzbu; Feb 15, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.