Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated NRT connection time / logistics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2016, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated NRT connection time / logistics

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2011, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, National Executive, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by mobilebucky
Glad everything works out, next time if you have the same problem, instead of stay at the airport, put all you luggage in the locker and take the local train and check out Narita town.
I could not convince Mr BT2 to do this but it was an option we considered.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 5:30 am

I live in Tokyo, and thus fly thru NRT ... most times I fly . It's -never- taken us longer than an hour to clear immigration & customs. Well, except when they quarantined entire planes for swine flu for 3 hours once.

Typically it's ~30 mins.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 6:49 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster. This community is awesome and full of good info. I hope the community's collective wisdom will be extended to my predicament. In other words, PLEASE HELP!

I'm flying into NRT from MNL using ANA, final destination YYC using AC. This flight is an award ticket using my UA Mileage+. I'm sweating the connection between ANA and AC because all I have is only an HOUR to connect between the two international flights. The trip is in August, so I'm hoping weather conditions will be OK.

Based on my research of NRT's configuration, it seems both AC & ANA are located in the South Wing of Terminal 1. NRT's website states:

Connection Between International Flights:

Please proceed through the security checkpoint for transit passengers to the airline connecting flights counters in the departures area (connecting flights counters for some airlines are located before the security checkpoint).

Questions:

1. When I exit ANA, do I have to go to a security checkpoint to reach AC's international check-in counter? If so, how do I minimize any delays/hassle? Should I notify an airport security staff of my short time window?

2. Do I have to get my check-in baggage from ANA to check-in to AC, or is it an automatic transfer between the two carriers?

3. If I have to get my check-in luggage and go to another security checkpoint, is an HOUR enough?

Thank you all in advance
Old Feb 12, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by BoyPinoy
Questions:

1. When I exit ANA, do I have to go to a security checkpoint to reach AC's international check-in counter? If so, how do I minimize any delays/hassle? Should I notify an airport security staff of my short time window?

2. Do I have to get my check-in baggage from ANA to check-in to AC, or is it an automatic transfer between the two carriers?

3. If I have to get my check-in luggage and go to another security checkpoint, is an HOUR enough?
1. Yes.
2. No. You should be able to ask ANA at MNL to check your luggage all the way through to Canada.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
BoyPinoy,

You should be able to check your bag all the way to your final destination of YYC.

I don't know where the AC transit desk is but probably after transit security, so make sure you have your e-ticket or that you check-in online as they will ask for that at transit security.

An hour is enough time.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 8:54 pm

Thanks for all the folks who responded. I can sleep better.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:31 am

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Realistic intl-intl transit time at NRT?

According to the FAQ/Wiki list of connection times, for NRT it's listed as 0:50. We're booking an itinerary ICN-NRT-SFO that has a 65 min (arr 3pm, dep 4:05pm) connection at NRT. Is this realistic for airside-airside(?) transit at NRT? Or would we have to go thru some intoJapan/outofJapan formalities? If we miss this connection, the next NRT-SFO flight is about an hour later. Would the system do an automatic rebook or would it be as standby?
Old Jun 19, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by BH62
According to the FAQ/Wiki list of connection times, for NRT it's listed as 0:50. We're booking an itinerary ICN-NRT-SFO that has a 65 min (arr 3pm, dep 4:05pm) connection at NRT. Is this realistic for airside-airside(?) transit at NRT? Or would we have to go thru some intoJapan/outofJapan formalities? If we miss this connection, the next NRT-SFO flight is about an hour later. Would the system do an automatic rebook or would it be as standby?
As long as your in the same terminal...no sweat at all. If it's a different terminal, could be slightly tight but you still should make it.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
55 minute layover ANA -> UA in NRT possible?

I am booking a flight PHX -> HKG and the PHX -> SFO -> HKG on the way out has a reasonable fare, but the HKG -> SFO -> PHX on the way back is a bit expensive. I can save $500 if I go HKG -> NRT -> SFO -> PHX with the HKG -> NRT being on ANA.

The problem is that the NRT layover is only 55 minutes. Assuming the flight is on time will I make it? I've been to NRT, but never had a layover there. Will I have to leave security, go through customs or change terminals to where a 55 minute layover would be impossible?
Old Jul 7, 2011, 11:33 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Isn't the MCT for NRT 60 minutes if not changing terminals for international flights?
Will this even book?
Old Jul 7, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Isn't the MCT for NRT 60 minutes if not changing terminals for international flights?
Will this even book?
Yes it will book. Looking on .bomb right now I am seeing:

9:45 AM HKG - 3:10 PM NRT United 9726 Operated by AIR JAPAN DBA ALL NIPPON A/ W

4:05 PM NRT - 9:22 AM SFO United 838

10:54 AM SFO - 12:51 PM PHX United 6225

If I missed the connection it would likely be a long day

I may end up taking CO and doing HKG -> EWR -> PHX which gets me in only a few hours later, but adds 2500 EQM.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by omegadeal
I am booking a flight PHX -> HKG and the PHX -> SFO -> HKG on the way out has a reasonable fare, but the HKG -> SFO -> PHX on the way back is a bit expensive. I can save $500 if I go HKG -> NRT -> SFO -> PHX with the HKG -> NRT being on ANA.

The problem is that the NRT layover is only 55 minutes. Assuming the flight is on time will I make it? I've been to NRT, but never had a layover there. Will I have to leave security, go through customs or change terminals to where a 55 minute layover would be impossible?
In my NRT experience, the answer here has a little to do with luck (i.e., where your inbound flight deplanes and if there is a security queue when you land) and a lot to do with how quickly you get off the plane.

My last trip through in May involved a rather tight connection from MNL. The 763 landed and there were 2 security lanes to process the full flight. As luck would have it, I was seated near the back of the plane that day, so >200 people in front of me in line. There was no signage at this particular queue for any type of premium security. It also felt like almost the entire plane was connections to USA destinations. In short, I made the connection but about 40 minutes of time was burned in the security line. I walked straight to my gate and on to the next flight.

I think if I had been ticketed up front I could have still made it on a tighter connection, but not sure I would risk it if the alternative is competing for one of the last remaining seats on a flight 24 hours out. YMMV.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 5:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM
Originally Posted by omegadeal

Barring obvious problems like being seated in row 88 or having a late inbound arrival I'd have no problems with this connection. It's not that NRT is filled with diversions to make you wish for a longer stay...
Old Jul 8, 2011, 2:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Will this even book?
Standard international to international MCT within Terminal 1 is 60 minutes, NH-UA is listed as 45 minutes.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 9:03 am

Programs: JL Diamond, CX MPC Silver, OW Emerald, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
If it is under one PNR or one ticket, you wouldn't have to worry too much about making the connection at NRT. They will usually send out agents to look for you if you don't show up, and these agents will scream for your name. Another sign of Japanese efficiency.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.