Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Version 1 is no longer in service (12 Feb 2017).

Note: This Wiki and thread is devoted to the pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1. There is a second thread, and more extensive Wiki about both planes, in the Wiki and thread on Version 2. This thread should be used for discussion of Version 1, although older posts may refer to Version 2 (they were split 8/30/14).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1360456-everything-you-wanted-know-about-where-sit-pmua-3-cabin-777-version-2-a.html

And, if you're looking for the thread about pmCO 777, it's here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1475682-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-pmco-777-international-5.html

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on Version 1

Version 1 vs. Version 2
There are two version of the international 3-class pmUA airplane.
"Version 1" on the United website has 8 First, 40 Business, and 218 coach seats. (no longer in service)
"Version 21" has 8 First, 40 Business, and 221 coach seats. (formerly Version 2 is now Version 1).

One unique attribute of Version 1 was the crew rest seats at the back of the E+ cabin in the middle section of Rows 29 and 30 (seats DEG). On most flights these seats were curtained off and dedicated for use by the crew. However, they were sometimes available when these planes were used on shorter routes and there was no need for crew rest. They provided much better legroom and footrests. This post contains a description and pictures: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25059936-post991.html

Fixed bassinets were available in economy 19G, 34G -- none in BF or GF.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by berkeleyguy3

(2) If I pick a different seat that exists in both new & old configuration (e.g., 21J), am I likely to retain this seat assignment when the configuration swaps?
IME, yes, although "likely" is not "guaranteed". I have had it happen more times than not.

Originally Posted by RJNYC
Stuck in whY with a travel buddy (assuming UGs don't clear). Should we pick 20AB (bulkhead pair in E+) or 33HJ (exit row)?
See post a couple above. Row 20 is nicer in that it's at the front of the E+ cabin, but there's not meaningful additional legroom, which there is in the exit row. However, the exit row is right next to the bathrooms, and with only 2 on the new config. they can get long lines after meals/before landing/pretty much the rest of the time.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 11, 2012 at 1:35 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 12, 2012, 3:59 am

Programs: AC, BA, Marriott, SPG
seating question

I'm flying in J from LAX-LHR on the night flight. I have the option of an aisle seat in row 6 (front business section) which faces backwards or aisle seat in row 8 (back business section) facing forwards but near lavatory. I have heard that facing backwards risks seeing light from the galley during the night. Anyone have a personal preference or recommendation to help me decide? I've never flown J on United.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by seegs
I'm flying in J from LAX-LHR on the night flight. I have the option of an aisle seat in row 6 (front business section) which faces backwards or aisle seat in row 8 (back business section) facing forwards but near lavatory. I have heard that facing backwards risks seeing light from the galley during the night. Anyone have a personal preference or recommendation to help me decide? I've never flown J on United.
I would take the rear-facing seat in the front business section. I sleep better in the rear facing seat. If the light is bothersome (I do not think it will be while lying down) you can always use eye shades.

Much better than being near the lavs, IMO.

A scotch and an OTC sleep aid also helps quite a bit.

Last edited by goodeats21; Jan 12, 2012 at 5:43 am Reason: iPad auto correct...grrrr
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I would take the rear-facing seat in the front business section. I sleep better in the rear facing seat. If the light is bothersome (I do not think it will be while lying down) you can always use eye shades.

Agree ^

When flying lie-flat C, I always go for the rear-facing seats. Unless you are seated directly across from the galley, I don't think you'll notice any light at your seat, especially when lying down.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Originally Posted by goodeats21

+1
Was in 6C on New Years Eve. Just make sure the little toggle bar on the magazine section between seat is horizontal or you'll have them going everywhere on take-off.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by qfrodo
+1
Was in 6C on New Years Eve. Just make sure the little toggle bar on the magazine section between seat is horizontal or you'll have them going everywhere on take-off.
Glad to know I am not the only one....
It took me a couple times, but now remember to check that little bar before takeoff
Old Jan 14, 2012, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA MM; SPG Gold; Avis PC. Fmr UA GS 2011-2013
Flew UA857 SFO-PVG (Shanghai Pudong) on Jan 7th and it was the old 777 config. Return flight UA858 on Jan 14 was the new config.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by steve4031
I just selected these seats for the ORD-PEK flight and return on the United website. They were the forward most seats in the economy plus cabin, and there are only 2 seats rather than 3 in this row. This looked liked a good deal to me, so I grabbed them. This is a 777 with 3-3-3 seating in economy.

Are these good seats?
I haven't got a measuring tape out, but it seemed to me there was significantly less leg room in 20AB than in the cherished 17AB in the old configuration. Also, the tray table in the new configuration in those seats is at a very precarious angle - at least it was both times I've flown those seats.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
New F Cabin on 777Q - Best Seats for Couples?

Does anyone have flight experience on the best seats for couples on the new configuration in F? Seat Guru and Airline Expert show the center seats pointing away from each other, and the latter has recommendations that couples should go with A/C instead of C/H as a result of the alignment of the seat towards the aisle (as does the initial post). The pictures from CaptainBilly on the first page of this post make it seem that the alignment towards the aisle would not necessarily mean that “couples traveling together have an awkward time if they take the middle pairs”. The pictures do make it seem that “sharing of meals and quiet conversation would be difficult across the aisle would be difficult however”. While center seat conversation may result in some slight neck cramps, I can’t imagine it would be any easier or less disruptive to carry on a conversation across an aisle. So, does anyone have any real life experience travelling with a partner in the new F cabin?

For what it’s worth, when my itinerary was changed to this new configuration, the default seating assignment was A/C… I’ve since changed to C/H as a result of thinking this would be a similar experience to the old 777 F configuration. I wonder why the default assignment was A/C (there were also seats assigned for row 2 H/K, which leads me to believe that there is another couple that were defaulted to paired aisle seats).

Thanks!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA MM Platinum, HH Diamond
6B, 6C, 6H or 6J?

Pretty open seat map on an upcoming flight to Asia - which seat to choose?

• 6B and 6J are the aisle seats on the sides and face forward
  • 6C and 6H are the aisle seats in middle section and face backward

Any difference between the left and right side of the aircraft?

On the 747, I prefer aisle, backwards and upper deck.

The 777 middle section seats look really close together...

Thanks!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA S/AGR S+/MR G/SW CP/AA Plat
Originally Posted by UALurkerORD
Does anyone have flight experience on the best seats for couples on the new configuration in F? Seat Guru and Airline Expert show the center seats pointing away from each other, and the latter has recommendations that couples should go with A/C instead of C/H as a result of the alignment of the seat towards the aisle (as does the initial post). The pictures from CaptainBilly on the first page of this post make it seem that the alignment towards the aisle would not necessarily mean that “couples traveling together have an awkward time if they take the middle pairs”. The pictures do make it seem that “sharing of meals and quiet conversation would be difficult across the aisle would be difficult however”. While center seat conversation may result in some slight neck cramps, I can’t imagine it would be any easier or less disruptive to carry on a conversation across an aisle. So, does anyone have any real life experience travelling with a partner in the new F cabin?

For what it’s worth, when my itinerary was changed to this new configuration, the default seating assignment was A/C… I’ve since changed to C/H as a result of thinking this would be a similar experience to the old 777 F configuration. I wonder why the default assignment was A/C (there were also seats assigned for row 2 H/K, which leads me to believe that there is another couple that were defaulted to paired aisle seats).

Thanks!
My wife, daughter, and I got swapped to the new 777 to FRA, and so we got 2A C and H. We liked the C and H because they are connected and even though they face away from each other, it is not as if they were 180 degrees from each other. In fact I usually got up from my A seat to go see my daughter in the C seat, while my wife just leaned over from H to C.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
See post a couple above. Row 20 is nicer in that it's at the front of the E+ cabin, but there's not meaningful additional legroom, which there is in the exit row. However, the exit row is right next to the bathrooms, and with only 2 on the new config. they can get long lines after meals/before landing/pretty much the rest of the time.
Even if you are 6'3" 225lbs like me ... I've been burned on bulkhead seats with minimal leg room before.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BaltimoreZ71
My wife, daughter, and I got swapped to the new 777 to FRA, and so we got 2A C and H. We liked the C and H because they are connected and even though they face away from each other, it is not as if they were 180 degrees from each other. In fact I usually got up from my A seat to go see my daughter in the C seat, while my wife just leaned over from H to C.
It's a good thing you had an chance to observe both scenarios in one trip. Thanks for the input!
Old Jan 18, 2012, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, ICH Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by BaltimoreZ71
Thanks for the information on these seats. Hubby and I have selected 2C & 2 H for our LAX - PVG next month.

Last edited by Mollyann500; Jan 18, 2012 at 4:00 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:58 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum . Hyatt Diamond . Delta Diamond . All kinds of car rental statuses
Am I to understand from this thread that UA is selling tickets on aircraft with deliberately misleading seatmaps ?

I've got a LAX-NRT round trip coming up in a few days that I bought because I liked the 2-5-2 config and they clearly showed that to be the one I'd be buying a seat on.
I gather from this thread that a day or so prior to departure they will suddenly switch to another seat map and that this is a now-established and systematic policy.

Changing aircraft to to "operational" exigencies is understandable and unexceptional, prior knowledge and systematic misrepresentation is another thing.
I have a non-refundable ticket but I believe that I have a strong legal case to show that I've been deliberately cheated and do not intend to fly it

This is not an invitation for the pros vs the cons of each config , and I'm not interested in that.

If there are others who feel that they have been so mislead then please contact me. UA ought to be reprimanded

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.