Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: United MP Premier Gold, *A Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ADeutsch
I dont think going via Zurich is an option unless my journey back to the states wants to be a 2 stops.

Rewinding my girlfriend & I are going to be at a wedding 1 hour outside of Pisa and Florence Italy. We are trying to make it back home to Washington DC area by Sunday Sept 03 (night) for an event on labor day. If we went to zurich I think the connection if any is 50 minutes. I think the four options are as follow...

1. Air france via Paris with 2.5 hours
2. BA via London with 2 hours
3. Lufthansa via Frankfurt with 1 hour
4. Lufthansa via Munich with 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Any other options I am open to suggestions, but I do need to drive from the wedding area to an airport
I recently did a trip to germany from jfk-fra-str and returned str-muc-jfk. Both of my tips had roughly 1-1.5 hour connections but made both flights on time. Actually had time to grab a beer and have a few smokes before boarding.

Another option you can do to help with making the connection easier is if you have time on your stopover in germany, on entry apply for easypass(german global entry basically) Never seen these lines have a que for them. being an american you will scan your docs and an agent will come and give you an exit stamp. https://www.cbp.gov/global-entry/oth...grams/easypass
Old May 2, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: UAMP Global Services, AA Platinum
There is a Bologna - FRA flight on LH that day at 230 that gives you a 1 hr 10 connect time to the United Flight at 510 pm

Or bettey yet, why not take an earlier flight and chill in the awesome Senator lounge at FRA? Save yourself some stress.

Originally Posted by jcacciotti
Florence Italy to FRA Lufthansa
FRA to Washington DC IAD United (old 777)
Runways in Florence are short and face a tall mountain, so there is basically one way in and out. When winds aren't right - many days in Spring/Summer - the go around rate is high, and flights often divert to Bologna.

Is Bologna an option? It's a much larger airport than Pisa or Florence, and the have 4 mainline LH flights a day to FRA (vs CityLine). It's only 1 hour 15 by car from central Florence

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 2, 2017 at 12:26 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old May 2, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by PushingTin
3 TATLs out of MUC and FRA in the past 5 months, last one in late March and I never got a sticker? A stamp after going through the last ditch security?
I went through FRA last Friday. I tried to board the plane without this sticker. A gate agent guided me to those two security guys, who asked me those typical questions at any of European airports. I have a lot of stickers on the back of my passport for proof.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Bottom line is that this is completely doable at either FRA or MUC, with MUC being easier. But a 1 hour international connection has inherent risk due to the lack of cushion. This is less of a concern on a paid ticket than on an upgrade or business class award.

(And I've not gotten a sticker ex-FRA or VIE in several recent trips.)
Old May 2, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kmxu
I passed through ZRH from IAD last Tuesday. The security line to Terminal A was extremely slow (30+ min). Only one lane was open. A security staffer argued with a pax and told the pax not to fly through ZRH again. I guess that this does not happen very often.
Security or passport control? I suppose there could have been a delay at passport control, particularly if there were not enough agents. However, I've never had to go through security at Zurich arriving from the United States.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by PushingTin
3 TATLs out of MUC and FRA in the past 5 months, last one in late March and I never got a sticker? A stamp after going through the last ditch security?
No sticker if you check-in @ MUC or FRA directly from UA. Sticker is required is you are connecting from another airline. UA personnel has to ask you security questions, therefore, the sticker on connecting passengers. Often they want to switch to UA BP rather than using BP issued by partner airlines.
Old May 2, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: most of them
I would avoid old UA business class. LH C isn't exactly cutting edge but it will be more comfortable.
Old May 2, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA Silver
If LH (therefore Germany) are your options, then connect through Munich. It's smaller and more manageable.
Old May 2, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
No sticker if you check-in @ MUC or FRA directly from UA. Sticker is required is you are connecting from another airline. UA personnel has to ask you security questions, therefore, the sticker on connecting passengers. Often they want to switch to UA BP rather than using BP issued by partner airlines.
Yes, that's exactly the way it worked for us 10 days ago, connecting to UA FRA-SFO from VCE-FRA on LH.

I was subsequently called up to the counter, where the agent told me I had been selected for secondary screening, complete with the SSSS on my BP. She ceremoniously removed the approval sticker from my passport, and off I went, leaving Mrs. Fredd in line.

The screening itself was fairly quick. After I opened my bags, they tested them. I had to remove my shoes. They checked those and "fondled" my feet briefly, and then it was back to the queue, where Mrs. Fredd hadn't moved an inch. Still, that would add to the stress on a tight connection.

Also the first time in all our flying IIRC we've boarded a 747 at a remote gate. A lot of stairs to climb.
Old May 2, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
I dont think going via Zurich is an option unless my journey back to the states wants to be a 2 stops.

Rewinding my girlfriend & I are going to be at a wedding 1 hour outside of Pisa and Florence Italy. We are trying to make it back home to Washington DC area by Sunday Sept 03 (night) for an event on labor day. If we went to zurich I think the connection if any is 50 minutes. I think the four options are as follow...

1. Air france via Paris with 2.5 hours
2. BA via London with 2 hours
3. Lufthansa via Frankfurt with 1 hour
4. Lufthansa via Munich with 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Any other options I am open to suggestions, but I do need to drive from the wedding area to an airport
Take the BA through LHR and then you won't have to worry about it. 2 hours is ample time, and if there is a miss-connect at LHR, there is always the LHR-JFK shuttle and a re-route to WAS on AA
Old May 2, 2017, 2:42 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Are flights in Europe that on time... ? I've always figured for important connects that I want a buffer of 45' for delays. Then you factor in taxi time, de-boarding, walking to connect terminal or worse... an hour sounds crazy to me with airlines delays and such, but that is just me, LOL
Old May 2, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM
OP,

I do what you're proposing several times a year. It is doable, but I don't recommend it. There is a low, but real risk of missing the connection and there is a high probability you will have to rush. If you're the worrying type, I'd recommend 90 minutes to 2 hours.

If you have the option, Munich is a better bet. I have made connections there with 15 minutes between flights due to late incoming leg arrival and still made it with no problem.

Best of luck.
Old May 2, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
I flew UA FRA-ORD last year and one of the GAs asked me if I had a BP with a sticker on it (I originated in FRA). I had a mobile BP. She insisted on taking my phone to the podium, printing a BP and putting a sticker on it. Complete waste of time. When I asked her why she insisted on the paper BP, she claimed that "sometimes the gate won't read the mobile BP". There were several other people around me in line that had mobile BPs. No idea why I was singled out.

To the OP, I wouldn't do a 60 minute connection in FRA. 70 minutes in MUC is much easier. For me it's mainly about the risk of a misconnect. These days, if you come into the A gates and leave via the Z gates in FRA, it doesn't take that long.
Old May 2, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PMMMDL
Take the BA through LHR and then you won't have to worry about it. 2 hours is ample time, and if there is a miss-connect at LHR, there is always the LHR-JFK shuttle and a re-route to WAS on AA
I don't have experience with BA at LHR, but if I was not concerned with miles or status I would definitely take this option. Or, if I REALLY needed to be back in DC for Labor Day, I would take this option anyway.
Old May 2, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Depending where your Florence flight lands at A gates, it may take a good 10 ten minutes to find an elevator to Z gates. Then, you have to go through customs. The passport line was pretty short for me last Friday. At your UA flight gate, you will need to get a sticker on your passport before boarding.
So, if your connection flight from Florence is on time and the plane is not parking at a remote site, you should be able to make it in 60 min. Good luck.
Why would you go through Customs? You would go through security and they would check your passport but customs is when they go through your luggage? Why Customs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.