Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does UA Still Provide Hotels to 1Ks for Weather Delay/Cancelation/Misconnect?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does UA Still Provide Hotels to 1Ks for Weather Delay/Cancelation/Misconnect?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Why all the consternation? Any FFer worth his or her salt will have purchased their ticket on a cc that offers flight interruption insurance which will cover the cost of a hotel in such cases. It is utter folly today to expect airlines to pick up all these costs during an IROP particularly when you're traveling on a discounted fare. And if you're a 1K chances are your employer is paying and can cover the cost of the hotel night...at both ends (including any room booked at the arrival end should it not be cancelable).

Last edited by Shareholder; Apr 29, 2011 at 10:34 am
Old Apr 29, 2011, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
Originally Posted by Shareholder
It is utter folly today to expect airlines to pick up all these costs during an IROP particularly when you're traveling on a discounted fare.
I wouldn't think it's folly at all, if that's what the COC says they will do. 'Course, that doesn't apply in this case, since it was a weather delay and (as others have pointed out) there's no established benefit.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 29, 2011 at 4:33 pm Reason: unnecessary
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by azepine00
noone else offered this benefit.
huh? AA does it for EXP and DL does it for SkyPriority (Gold and up).
Old Apr 30, 2011, 2:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
And if you're a 1K chances are your employer is paying and can cover the cost of the hotel night...at both ends (including any room booked at the arrival end should it not be cancelable).
I have been 1K for 3-4 years now and I paid for all my trips except for 1 trans-con trip that was paid for by my employer.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 6:40 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nov11
I have been 1K for 3-4 years now and I paid for all my trips except for 1 trans-con trip that was paid for by my employer.
Or when you are your employer, like in my case.

That being said, one month ago, flew into ORD heading home. The last ORD-MBS went WX about 4PM (for a 5PM departure). Walked up to the RCC agent, who knew the flight I was on just canceled...I asked, "Can you rebook me for tomorrow morning, and are there any rooms left at the Hilton next door?" 12 minutes later, I was in my room across the street and the food voucher paid for 3/4 of my room service bill. No muss, no fuss...And I was on an award ticket (XF to ORD, then XY to MBS).

I've NEVER been so much as even questioned when it came to getting a hotel room when there's a weather-related cancellation...And I've spent probably 5 nights in the last year and a half at the ORD Hilton on UA's dime. The agents were always accommodating, quick to issue vouchers and very sympathetic with my unplanned extra night away.

Here's hoping this doesn't go away and become another change Jeff thinks I'll like.
Old May 6, 2011, 11:16 am

Just had weather delay that would have caused too close of connection at IAD (would have made it since connection delayed too), but asked for a last second reroute through ORD and to a separate destination in the morning. Upgraded on both legs (booked into Y), and ORD staff didn't ask any questions and got the voucher ready within seconds. ^^^ United.

Without question one of the two or three best perks of being 1k, and if it sticks in the new United all the more reason to gun for it again for 2012.
Old May 6, 2011, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I had a tight connection at IAD (my home airport but just dropping in going from one place to another) for tomorrow night, and I called into the 1K desk to see what my options would be if my first flight was late getting in. This was just to see if they would put me on a very late Continental flight. The 1K desk's answer? "Sure, or we would just give you a hotel and put you on the first flight Monday morning".

I was under the impression that 1Ks still got some benefits like hotel rooms and food vouchers. Plus cab rides if you're diverted to a different airport in the same market (like from DCA to IAD or LGA to JFK).
Old May 6, 2011, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa
huh? AA does it for EXP and DL does it for SkyPriority (Gold and up).
Even for wx reasons? I didn't realize that.
Old May 9, 2011, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Originally Posted by catocony
I had a tight connection at IAD (my home airport but just dropping in going from one place to another) for tomorrow night, and I called into the 1K desk to see what my options would be if my first flight was late getting in. This was just to see if they would put me on a very late Continental flight. The 1K desk's answer? "Sure, or we would just give you a hotel and put you on the first flight Monday morning".

I was under the impression that 1Ks still got some benefits like hotel rooms and food vouchers. Plus cab rides if you're diverted to a different airport in the same market (like from DCA to IAD or LGA to JFK).
I did get at hotel room and voucher for a WX misconnect in March.
Old May 9, 2011, 4:47 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Why all the consternation? Any FFer worth his or her salt will have purchased their ticket on a cc that offers flight interruption insurance which will cover the cost of a hotel in such cases. It is utter folly today to expect airlines to pick up all these costs during an IROP particularly when you're traveling on a discounted fare. And if you're a 1K chances are your employer is paying and can cover the cost of the hotel night...at both ends (including any room booked at the arrival end should it not be cancelable).
1) Count me in as another one of those 1Ks who's employer both pays and doesn't pay - because I'm self-employed and most of my travel is non-work related.

2) Going through the hassle of making a travel insurance claim shouldn't be necessary when the airline can cheaply make things right for its most loyal flyers. There is no folly in this expectation.

Originally Posted by Cheerfulflyer
UA ticket on CO metal; flights cancelled due to WX. SFO RCC and 1k said no to hotel/meals. Was too tired to ask anyone else, so got myself a room and will send reciepts to CR. Any recent exp. by fellow 1Ks?
I think the problem you had is the CO metal. You have to go to CO to deal with that issue.

Originally Posted by rch4u
1Ks are NOT guaranteed hotels during weather-related irrops, regardless of how much some folks here are intent on believing. It’s up to airport management – it is NOT automatic.
Someone pulled up the computer codes regarding this - it sure looked automatic to me.
Old May 9, 2011, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by N1120A
Someone pulled up the computer codes regarding this - it sure looked automatic to me.
Nope - dependent on airport management, as much as some might want to disagree.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 12:41 pm

does UA really give free hotel for 1K members, even if it's due to weather?

I was reading this month's InsideFlyer magazine.... and noticed someone writing about getting freel hotel rooms as UA 1K member, even if the flight delay/cancellation was due to weather problems.

I was 1K from 2007 to 2010. There were 3 or 4 times that my flight was cancelled and I ended up paying for my own hotel room. (at ORD, IAD, LAX) The UA airport agents didn't give me any free hotel vouchers.... did I get cheated?
Old Jun 26, 2011, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Yes you did
Old Jun 26, 2011, 12:49 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes and no. UA hardly ever volunteers free hotel rooms. That's because most staff aren't aware that this benefit exists. So while you should have gotten a free room, it's very possible it wasn't done out of malice, but rather management's (intentional?) choice not to promote knowledge of this benefit among staff.

Now the next question is whether you would have wanted to stay at the hotel that United would have found for you!
Old Jun 26, 2011, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by smellyplane
I was reading this month's InsideFlyer magazine.... and noticed someone writing about getting freel hotel rooms as UA 1K member, even if the flight delay/cancellation was due to weather problems.

I was 1K from 2007 to 2010. There were 3 or 4 times that my flight was cancelled and I ended up paying for my own hotel room. (at ORD, IAD, LAX) The UA airport agents didn't give me any free hotel vouchers.... did I get cheated?
If should have got your free hotels if you didn't ex from those airports you quoted for your trips!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.