Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does UA Still Provide Hotels to 1Ks for Weather Delay/Cancelation/Misconnect?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does UA Still Provide Hotels to 1Ks for Weather Delay/Cancelation/Misconnect?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2010, 8:58 am

Programs: AA, IHG
Got a hotel provided for this 1k at ORD last weekend during the weather event. Last ORD-IND of the night got cancelled - I went to the RCC, asked specifically for the Hilton, and a voucher was provided.

She had to make a call to get the space opened up - otherwise I would have been at a Crowne Plaza. Both times I've gotten the Hilton, it seems to have been an exception for 1K: "I've got a 1K here; could I get a room at the Hilton" seems to be the line the CSR uses with the desk they call.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I received a hotel voucher from LH here in FRA tonight. Missed my connection to ACC. Funny how the LH agent was berating UA the whole time for not doing their job and accommodating me due to the misconnect. The LH agent and her supervisor hooked me up with taxis, a hotel (Kempinski) and meals without any hesitation. Too bad I had already checked into the Sheraton prior to talking to LH, SPG points down the drain.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
As a 1K I was provided a room near SFO in October due to a miss connect. A a non-1K couple in front of me in the same situation got nothing, except a rebooking the next morning. When I steped up the agent said, "Your 1K status entitles you to a room."
Old Jan 31, 2011, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
does anyone know if this benefit would apply for more than one day?

i see a huge storm headed for ORD, if the airport is closed for several days would they put up a 1k until it re-opens, or is it a one day voucher?

from the wiki:

***HOTEL AND $15 MEAL VOUCHER***
ONLY 1 NIGHTS LODGING AND A $15 MEAL VOUCHER MAY BE
PROVIDED FOR FLIGHT INTERRUPTION IF AT LEAST 1 OF THE
FOLLOWING CRITERIA ARE MET:

etc.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 5:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, National Executive, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by hausrath
Got a hotel provided for this 1k at ORD last weekend during the weather event. Last ORD-IND of the night got cancelled - I went to the RCC, asked specifically for the Hilton, and a voucher was provided.

She had to make a call to get the space opened up - otherwise I would have been at a Crowne Plaza. Both times I've gotten the Hilton, it seems to have been an exception for 1K: "I've got a 1K here; could I get a room at the Hilton" seems to be the line the CSR uses with the desk they call.
Good to know I got stranded at ORD last year as 1P, due to WX, and UA would not spring for hotel. Fortunately had the sense to ask Mr BT2 to book me in the Hilton while we were boarding the flight at LAX - sure enough I needed the reservation. If this happens again will pressure UA for a Hilton room now that I'm 1K. However I did get 9K miles due to the misconnect.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 8:09 pm

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
No by RCC SFO and 1K

UA ticket on CO metal; flights cancelled due to WX. SFO RCC and 1k said no to hotel/meals. Was too tired to ask anyone else, so got myself a room and will send reciepts to CR. Any recent exp. by fellow 1Ks?
Old Feb 3, 2011, 9:03 pm

Not weather related, and not 1K, but thought this would be a decent thread to post ? in rather than start a new one.

If a flight goes MX and no more flights for that day, will UA offer everyone hotels?
Old Feb 3, 2011, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hellyea
Not weather related, and not 1K, but thought this would be a decent thread to post ? in rather than start a new one.

If a flight goes MX and no more flights for that day, will UA offer everyone hotels?
Yes.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 9:48 pm

Programs: QR platinum
Originally Posted by hellyea

Yes, I got an hotel a few times as 2P/1P for MX and other GM passengers also got a room in that case.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:57 pm
gba

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fastair
My own psuedo-legal opinion is that UA guarantees hotels for no one ever, not for mechanicals, not for weather, and that UA and most airlines pay for mechanicals, not as a guaranteed external policy, but a) to remain competitive, and b) as an INTERNAL guideline.
The official, published, public guidelines are as follows (from http://www.united.com/page/article/0...1513,00.html):

If rebooking options are not available until the following day, we will offer complimentary overnight hotel accommodations. However, if the cancellation is due to severe weather conditions, air traffic control decisions or other issues outside of United’s control, we cannot offer such accommodations. In these circumstances we will make reasonable efforts to provide information enabling customers to secure accommodations on their own.
Thus, even people who don't earn miles, should reasonably expect a hotel if they're stuck because of a mechanical, even though it's not explicitly stated in the CoC (Interestingly, the CoC does promise accomodations in the event of a diversion)
Old Feb 4, 2011, 1:25 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Mrs. Jet'Dillo and I were given a hotel and meal voucher @ IAD in October.
We were checked in for the 21:45 IAD->SFO and the co-pilot didn't show.
We waited for about an hour then they cancelled the flight.
I went over to the CS desk in C terminal asked for a hotel and the very nice CS person behind the desk barely batted an eyelash before handing it and some meal vouchers over, one for each of us. Between the two of us, there was enough to order a smattering of things from room service(Which, at 2345, was about all we wanted).
So, it can happen. I think it's a matter of right time, right person.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by gba
The official, published, public guidelines are as follows
(from http://www.united.com/page/article/0...1513,00.html):
I fixed the link, so one can click on it:

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1513,00.html

Also, these seem to be just the general guidelines - I also thought 1K's got special WX consideration (a hotel room) as well. Hope they haven't eliminated this benefit - only used it once in 12 years as a 1K, but you never know!
Old Apr 29, 2011, 7:13 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
No hotel for a 1K

Data point: Flight fropm IAD to SFO was delayed due to weather for 4 hours yesterday, causing me to miss flight to HNL. Had to overnight in SFO (not really a hardship) and I fly out today.

I asked the 1K desk *and* the ladies at the RCC for a hotel voucher, and I even quietly pointed out that I was a 1K and I was under the impression that there was a special program for 1Ks. Both times, they went and checked with someone and came back refusing.

So data point: if there was a special thing for 1Ks where they take care of you in the case of weather delays even tho they don't have to, I either didn't get it or it no longer exists. Possibly another stealth status downgrade, or maybe I just didn't talk to the right people. *shrug*

<threadCrapInnoculation>
Yes, I KNOW I wasn't entitled to a voucher. Not necessary to point that out, unless you just want to pad your post count
</threadCrapInnoculation>
Old Apr 29, 2011, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kcblakely
Data point: Flight fropm IAD to SFO was delayed due to weather for 4 hours yesterday, causing me to miss flight to HNL. Had to overnight in SFO (not really a hardship) and I fly out today.

I asked the 1K desk *and* the ladies at the RCC for a hotel voucher, and I even quietly pointed out that I was a 1K and I was under the impression that there was a special program for 1Ks. Both times, they went and checked with someone and came back refusing.

So data point: if there was a special thing for 1Ks where they take care of you in the case of weather delays even tho they don't have to, I either didn't get it or it no longer exists. Possibly another stealth status downgrade, or maybe I just didn't talk to the right people. *shrug*

<threadCrapInnoculation>
Yes, I KNOW I wasn't entitled to a voucher. Not necessary to point that out, unless you just want to pad your post count
</threadCrapInnoculation>
Hmmm. If true this is extremely upsetting, though I do recall from time to time reading accounts of people being deined the benefit in spite of it still being in effect.

Can anyone confirm/or deny that this benefit still exists?
Old Apr 29, 2011, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by as219
Hmmm. If true this is extremely upsetting, though I do recall from time to time reading accounts of people being deined the benefit in spite of it still being in effect.

Can anyone confirm/or deny that this benefit still exists?
1Ks are NOT guaranteed hotels during weather-related irrops, regardless of how much some folks here are intent on believing. It’s up to airport management – it is NOT automatic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.