Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a United 747

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ssh

From SAT Lawyer's First Post:

Please also see: http://seatexpert.com/seatmap/320/Un..._First_&_Biz)/ and http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...747-400_B.php]

What follows is my assessment of where to sit on the 744, which I sampled on a recent flight from SYD-SFO. I sat in E+ for three hours before a flight cancellation on Tuesday and in 15K in the upper deck in business for 13 hours the following day, so I feel sufficiently well-informed to dispense advice for those cabins. I cannot, however, make a recommendation for business class seating on the lower deck or the E- minus cabin, so with that caveat, here is my feedback on the upper deck . . .

Where should I sit in the upper deck? Any seats better than others?

Unlike the old configuration of the upper deck where certain seats – especially the exit row seats in row 15 – are appreciably better, on the new configuration, there is not really much to distinguish between the upper deck seats except for the limited caveats noted below.

What seats should I try to avoid?

There are only five seats that are nominally less attractive than the rest. 12 J & K are close to the forward lavatories and the flight deck so you can expect increased foot traffic and noise during the flight. The shell for 14K protrudes backward into the exit door area and partially overlaps with the exit door causing a nominal reduction in the view and a possible cold spot due to airflow penetrating the door seal. 17 J & K lose a good deal of privacy because they are visible from the top of the stairs and suffer from increased noise and light from the galley and traffic to and from the galley.

Window or aisle?

Window, definitely. And I say this as someone who is typically an aisle guy. You get the side bins for storage, the view, a little more peace and privacy being further removed from the aisle, and avoid the possibility of being disrupted by a seatmate climbing over you. Climbing over a seatmate in the aisle seat who is in the sleeping configuration requires a little bit of dexterity, but certainly is not terribly difficult for anyone who is at least 6 feet tall. Those who are substantially shorter than 6 feet may want to avoid the window, however.

Forward or backward?

Doesn’t really matter. Due to the pitch of the aircraft, those facing backwards will have their feet slightly below their heads in the sleeping configuration, but we are really splitting hairs here. Personally, I prefer the backward-facing view from the upper deck because you can see the wing and the engines.

What if I’m traveling with more than two people?

You will not be able to see or converse with the passengers whose feet oppose yours behind the wall adjoining the foot pocket and video panel. In other words, to give one example, the passengers in 15 J & K are fully walled-off from the passengers in 16 J & K. The shell of the seat also provides full privacy from behind. So, if you want to keep an eye on travel companions, you should try to sit diagonally across the aisle from one other. Passengers in 15 J & K, for example, will have a good view of passengers in 16 A & B, and vice versa. Actually, if you are travelling in a group of more than two and being able to chat is important to you, you'll probably want to sit in the middle section of the lower deck.

What happened to the exit row?

For all intents and purposes, it doesn’t exist. The seats in both rows 14 and 15 both back up to the exit area creating something more akin to an exit corridor. No extra legroom or particular advantage to these seats.

How is the seat for sleeping?

It’s a true, parallel-to-the-ground lie-flat seat, which is the big improvement. The arm rests on both sides can be manually lowered so that they don’t extend above the seat in bed configuration, which further increases arm and shoulder room. Unfortunately, for window seaters, there will be a healthy gap between the lowered arm rest and the side bins which means that the extra room on one side isn’t particularly useful since if you stick your arm far enough off the seat, it will essentially drop off a cliff with nothing to prop it up. As a 6-footer, my left foot was a little bit cramped due to the curvature of the foot-pocket, although this was not terribly bothersome. Both my seatmate and I felt that the seat lacked sufficient padding in the lumbar region of the back so we both woke up with sore lower backs.

What is the audio and video on-demand like?

For United and in comparison to the old configuration, great. The video screens are positively huge. There aren’t as many movies as one may find on airlines like Singapore, but still, there should be enough features to keep all but the most demanding and fickle passengers entertained.

As for the E+ cabin . . .

Seat pitch seems indistinguishable throughout, the bulkhead row 19 excepted. I don't care for the seats in row 19 myself because the hard bulkhead without cutouts effectively prevents all but the shortest traveler from stretching out his or her feet. This is true of both the outside seats as well as the middle section.

I would strongly advise against any D seat -- the aisle seats on the port side of the middle section -- because the audio boxes are beneath those seats and inhibit leg room for the left foot. There still should be enough room to place both feet, but only at a fairly sharp and uncomfortable angle.

As an aisle guy, I would go with one of the G seats. No audio box inhibiting leg room and landlocked middle seat passengers can access the aisle in either direction cutting in half your chance of getting bumped or bothered while you are trying to sleep.

There are still no individual seat-back video screens, unfortunately, so you are stuck with whatever programming UA runs on the main screens. Fortunately, the main screens have been upgraded to LCD screens. Sit at least a few rows back from row 19 to avoid being uncomfortably close to the screens.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a United 747

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2008, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA 1P, F9 Ascent, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Christofu
Hello All you upper deck fans!

Looks like i'm on my first newly config'd 744. I looked on seatguru and am trying to figure out whether there's any difference btw Row 14 and 15 in the UD.

I'm a huge row 15 fan in the old conifg. Any suggestions/comments to the best seat in the UD? Seat guru has no "green" seats listed yet.

Thanks!
Chris
What I can't figure out is how the UD and LD have the same seat width. Originally the 747 LD was 2-3-2 and UD was 2-2. The new config is 2-4-2 and 2-2 respectively. If the new seats are actaully 3" wider, how did they get an extra seat in the LD?
Old Dec 2, 2008, 6:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mlasser
If the new seats are actaully 3" wider, how did they get an extra seat in the LD?
Tighter packing and narrower aisles.

Originally Posted by John Thacker
Four in progress at once? Nice. At this rate those optimistic-sounding end of year projections will actually come close.
They would need to have six 747s in the shop right now (as opposed to the two currently there) to have any chance of making the promised 15.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 6:49 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by Christofu
Hello All you upper deck fans!

Looks like i'm on my first newly config'd 744. I looked on seatguru and am trying to figure out whether there's any difference btw Row 14 and 15 in the UD.
All C seats have the same width and pitch. UD window seats have the advantage of the side bins. 15 faces rear (no big deal to me) and 14 faces forward. See http://seatexpert.com/seatmap/320/Un...ew_First_&_Biz)

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Dec 2, 2008 at 7:13 pm
Old Dec 2, 2008, 7:45 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
What I can't figure out is how the UD and LD have the same seat width. Originally the 747 LD was 2-3-2 and UD was 2-2. The new config is 2-4-2 and 2-2 respectively. If the new seats are actaully 3" wider, how did they get an extra seat in the LD?
They are not wider than the old C seats.

The old C seats were 20.5" wide on 744's - actual seating area. The new C seats are 19" wide - actual seating area. They only expand to 23.5" when the armrests are lowered - If the old C seat armrests lowered, you'd easily be able to measure 27"+ across.

New United Business
Width 19" (23.5 including armrest)
Length 76-77" 55" pitch

Recline 180 degrees
Direction Forward and rear facing seats

Old C seat width:

747 20"
767 19"
777 20.5"

The reason they are able to do 2-4-2 is because they are narrower seats than the old C seats.

- T
Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA 1P, F9 Ascent, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by TonySCV
They are not wider than the old C seats.

The old C seats were 20.5" wide on 744's - actual seating area. The new C seats are 19" wide - actual seating area. They only expand to 23.5" when the armrests are lowered - If the old C seat armrests lowered, you'd easily be able to measure 27"+ across.

New United Business
Width 19" (23.5 including armrest)
Length 76-77" 55" pitch

Recline 180 degrees
Direction Forward and rear facing seats

Old C seat width:

747 20"
767 19"
777 20.5"

The reason they are able to do 2-4-2 is because they are narrower seats than the old C seats.

- T
Ahhh, the armrests! I stupidly figured they were measuring the cushion. From Seat Guru you'd easily draw the conclusion the seats got wider.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 12:42 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Don't the armrests recline with the seat, thereby providing a width of 23.5 inches in flat mode?

[sorry, didn't read the entire previous post]
Old Dec 3, 2008, 12:56 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Ahhh, the armrests! I stupidly figured they were measuring the cushion. From Seat Guru you'd easily draw the conclusion the seats got wider.
They really did get wider. The armrests drop down to cushion level (or maybe even a little lower--they're more than out of the way), and you still have the stationary 'credenza' between you and the your seatmate for one arm at least. Plus, if you're upstairs there's ample room between the storage bin and the seat to flop your leg over the side.

I'm 6' tall and all torso with short arms. I could never get my arms down to the level anyway. I'm rather wide as well, and there was more than ample room to sleep and it felt much wider than the old configuration.

Mike, no the arm rests do not move with the seat.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 7:26 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by EastbayMike
Don't the armrests recline with the seat, thereby providing a width of 23.5 inches in flat mode?

[sorry, didn't read the entire previous post]
I've slept in the new C three times now. The first time, I didn't realize the arms went down. When I slept, I did think that it was quite anrrow. But when you drop both arms, it's great. The width is quite nice.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
What follows is my assessment of where to sit on the newly-configured 744, which I sampled on a recent flight from SYD-SFO. I sat in E+ for three hours before a flight cancellation on Tuesday and in 15K in the upper deck in business for 13 hours the following day, so I feel sufficiently well-informed to dispense advice for those cabins. I cannot, however, make a recommendation for business class seating on the lower deck or the E- minus cabin, so with that caveat, here is my feedback on the upper deck . . .

Where should I sit in the upper deck? Any seats better than others?

Unlike the old configuration of the upper deck where certain seats – especially the exit row seats in row 15 – are appreciably better, on the new configuration, there is not really much to distinguish between the upper deck seats except for the limited caveats noted below. Given this, I personally would prefer one of the seats in row 15 in case the equipment is switched to the old configuration. Of course, with an equipment substitution, there are no guarantees that your seat assignment will stick.

What seats should I try to avoid?

There are only five seats that are nominally less attractive than the rest. 12 J & K are close to the forward lavatories and the flight deck so you can expect increased foot traffic and noise during the flight. The shell for 14K protrudes backward into the exit door area and partially overlaps with the exit door causing a nominal reduction in the view and a possible cold spot due to airflow penetrating the door seal. 17 J & K lose a good deal of privacy because they are visible from the top of the stairs and suffer from increased noise and light from the galley and traffic to and from the galley.

Window or aisle?

Window, definitely. And I say this as someone who is typically an aisle guy. You get the side bins for storage, the view, a little more peace and privacy being further removed from the aisle, and avoid the possibility of being disrupted by a seatmate climbing over you. Climbing over a seatmate in the aisle seat who is in the sleeping configuration requires a little bit of dexterity, but certainly is not terribly difficult for anyone who is at least 6 feet tall. Those who are substantially shorter than 6 feet may want to avoid the window, however.

Forward or backward?

Doesn’t really matter. Due to the pitch of the aircraft, those facing backwards will have their feet slightly below their heads in the sleeping configuration, but we are really splitting hairs here. Personally, I prefer the backward-facing view from the upper deck because you can see the wing and the engines.

What if I’m traveling with more than two people?

You will not be able to see or converse with the passengers whose feet oppose yours behind the wall adjoining the foot pocket and video panel. In other words, to give one example, the passengers in 15 J & K are fully walled-off from the passengers in 16 J & K. The shell of the seat also provides full privacy from behind. So, if you want to keep an eye on travel companions, you should try to sit diagonally across the aisle from one other. Passengers in 15 J & K, for example, will have a good view of passengers in 16 A & B, and vice versa. Actually, if you are travelling in a group of more than two and being able to chat is important to you, you'll probably want to sit in the middle section of the lower deck.

What happened to the exit row?

For all intents and purposes, it doesn’t exist. The seats in both rows 14 and 15 both back up to the exit area creating something more akin to an exit corridor. No extra legroom or particular advantage to these seats.

How is the seat for sleeping?

It’s a true, parallel-to-the-ground lie-flat seat, which is the big improvement. The arm rests on both sides can be manually lowered so that they don’t extend above the seat in bed configuration, which further increases arm and shoulder room. Unfortunately, for window seaters, there will be a healthy gap between the lowered arm rest and the side bins which means that the extra room on one side isn’t particularly useful since if you stick your arm far enough off the seat, it will essentially drop off a cliff with nothing to prop it up. As a 6-footer, my left foot was a little bit cramped due to the curvature of the foot-pocket, although this was not terribly bothersome. Both my seatmate and I felt that the seat lacked sufficient padding in the lumbar region of the back so we both woke up with sore lower backs.

What is the audio and video on-demand like?

For United and in comparison to the old configuration, great. The video screens are positively huge. There aren’t as many movies as one may find on airlines like Singapore, but still, there should be enough features to keep all but the most demanding and fickle passengers entertained.

As for the E+ cabin . . .

Seat pitch seems indistinguishable throughout, the bulkhead row 19 excepted. I don't care for the seats in row 19 myself because the hard bulkhead without cutouts effectively prevents all but the shortest traveler from stretching out his or her feet. This is true of both the outside seats as well as the middle section.

I would strongly advise against any D seat -- the aisle seats on the port side of the middle section -- because the audio boxes are beneath those seats and inhibit leg room for the left foot. There still should be enough room to place both feet, but only at a fairly sharp and uncomfortable angle.

As an aisle guy, I would go with one of the G seats. No audio box inhibiting leg room and landlocked middle seat passengers can access the aisle in either direction cutting in half your chance of getting bumped or bothered while you are trying to sleep.

There are still no individual seat-back video screens, unfortunately, so you are stuck with whatever programming UA runs on the main screens. Fortunately, the main screens have been upgraded to LCD screens. Sit at least a few rows back from row 19 to avoid being uncomfortably close to the screens.

Last edited by SAT Lawyer; Dec 4, 2008 at 11:18 am
Old Dec 4, 2008, 11:22 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
What follows is my assessment of where to sit on the newly-configured 744, ....
Thanks for one of the most definitive posts to date! ^^^
Old Dec 4, 2008, 11:41 am

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Totally agree with SAT Lawyer for the C seat upper deck in new config. Window seat is great for extra space in upper decker and not be disturbed in general. I was always worry about not able to get out without waking up the seatmate in window seat but not a problem for new config for me. I will always go with upper deck first as it is much more private than the lower deck. Would choose the window if have to go to the lower deck C as the center part of lower deck are face-to-face for two rows which seems too "open" to me . I sat at 8K once and it was fine.

Thanks for sharing the experience of Y seat. I am an asile person as well and normally pick a D seat in Y for old config. Will try to go with a G seat now for new config.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 11:42 am
In Memoriam: Original Member

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
That was a great post! I was debating on a window seat on the inbound due to the side bins but stuck with the aisles. I didn't know that you could lower the arm rest. Thanks, now I have to fly back to Asia to check it out!

Dave
Old Dec 4, 2008, 11:49 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by jmd001
Thanks for one of the most definitive posts to date! ^^^
SAT Lawyer's write-up has been added as the first post of the thread; thanks.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 12:14 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
Since many folks are in the dark about where to sit in the newly-configured 744 as was I before this week's SYD-SFO flight, I have posed a fairly comprehensive primer to both the upper deck business class cabin and the E+ cabin here. Hope it helps.
Nice write-up. ^

I would only add one thing...To me, the extra gap between the storage bins and the seat is nice for one thing--comes in handy when sitting upright and you want to adjust your position...I found myself hanging my leg over the side quite frequently.

The only other slight, minuscule, irrelevant thing...If you use the remote controller a lot for games (or anything else on it where it has to be held horizontally), I found it annoying that the cord is short to begin with, but from seats where the 'seat divider' is on the right, you have to double the cord back over (cord comes out of the right side of the seat, and goes into the controller on its left side), giving you even less slack. Very, very insignificant, but with all seats being equal, we've got to find something here to talk about on FT!

BTW, I'm booked on a 747 next fall, and have the first assigned seat in C, so with everything to chose from, I selected 15A. Old habits die hard. (I do think upstairs is the place to be, and I too like the window, and I found the central location of the cabin to be nice--far enough away from the restrooms and far enough away from the galley).
Old Dec 4, 2008, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer
Wife & I flew 900 SFO-FRA in September. She was in XF, and I UFC from a Z fare. Thus the best we could do was 2A & 3A. The seats are very private. If you are traveling with someone, go for the center seats (3 C&H or 4 C&H). Otherwise, I had to get out of my seat to be able to talk to her. (Not complaining, however, as if the UFC hadn't happened, I would have been on the UD...). All the F cabin seats seemed to be very private and comfortable. From my albeit limited experience I didn't see any big difference between them, except as noted. IIRC, there is a center divider that comes up for C&H, so if the person next to you isn't your traveling companion, you'll still have good privacy.

In the F cabin, unlike the C cabin, there is plenty of storage space around one's seat (and lots of overhead bins, as well). Lots of room to stash pillows, blanket, laptop, book, eyeglasses, etc. etc. I found the controls easier to use than the controls for the ps F seats. The bed goes flat, and I found I was comfortable in any normal sleeping position (back or side, for me). I didn't try stomach.

I was able to charge my iPod, although I didn't try playing anything "from" it on the (very nice) 15" screen. I found the selection of movies much better than what is to be found in the "box o' tapes" they come around with on some flights, and better than what they have on the personal players on ps flights. I did have one "reboot" during my journey. I tried both the provided noise cancelation headphones, and my QC-II's. The provided pair were adequate, but not as good as the QC's.
I would disagree about flying with someone and privacy. Seats 3A and 3C are close to one another (and the same onthe other side of the aircraft), so these are the seats I'd choose if flying with someone and avoid if flying solo. The aisle through between these seats is extremely narrow.

I found the seats more comfortable than the old F both for sitting an sleeping.

There is a convenient seat control next to your head when in the bed position which makes it easier to sit upright again. The arms push down so that the shoulder width is great and the shell remains which helps with privacy when seated.

There is plenty of storage, but most of it inconvenient shapes so that nothing large (such as laptop bag) will fit (other than under the footrest).

The IFE is certaily a big improvement, but wouldn't call it a leapfrog over the competition.

Summary is that I am more than happy with the new 744 F cabin. Its not the best experience in the sky, but is no longer an embarrassment. Now if the in flight service was consistantly good........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.