Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a United 747

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ssh

From SAT Lawyer's First Post:

Please also see: http://seatexpert.com/seatmap/320/Un..._First_&_Biz)/ and http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...747-400_B.php]

What follows is my assessment of where to sit on the 744, which I sampled on a recent flight from SYD-SFO. I sat in E+ for three hours before a flight cancellation on Tuesday and in 15K in the upper deck in business for 13 hours the following day, so I feel sufficiently well-informed to dispense advice for those cabins. I cannot, however, make a recommendation for business class seating on the lower deck or the E- minus cabin, so with that caveat, here is my feedback on the upper deck . . .

Where should I sit in the upper deck? Any seats better than others?

Unlike the old configuration of the upper deck where certain seats – especially the exit row seats in row 15 – are appreciably better, on the new configuration, there is not really much to distinguish between the upper deck seats except for the limited caveats noted below.

What seats should I try to avoid?

There are only five seats that are nominally less attractive than the rest. 12 J & K are close to the forward lavatories and the flight deck so you can expect increased foot traffic and noise during the flight. The shell for 14K protrudes backward into the exit door area and partially overlaps with the exit door causing a nominal reduction in the view and a possible cold spot due to airflow penetrating the door seal. 17 J & K lose a good deal of privacy because they are visible from the top of the stairs and suffer from increased noise and light from the galley and traffic to and from the galley.

Window or aisle?

Window, definitely. And I say this as someone who is typically an aisle guy. You get the side bins for storage, the view, a little more peace and privacy being further removed from the aisle, and avoid the possibility of being disrupted by a seatmate climbing over you. Climbing over a seatmate in the aisle seat who is in the sleeping configuration requires a little bit of dexterity, but certainly is not terribly difficult for anyone who is at least 6 feet tall. Those who are substantially shorter than 6 feet may want to avoid the window, however.

Forward or backward?

Doesn’t really matter. Due to the pitch of the aircraft, those facing backwards will have their feet slightly below their heads in the sleeping configuration, but we are really splitting hairs here. Personally, I prefer the backward-facing view from the upper deck because you can see the wing and the engines.

What if I’m traveling with more than two people?

You will not be able to see or converse with the passengers whose feet oppose yours behind the wall adjoining the foot pocket and video panel. In other words, to give one example, the passengers in 15 J & K are fully walled-off from the passengers in 16 J & K. The shell of the seat also provides full privacy from behind. So, if you want to keep an eye on travel companions, you should try to sit diagonally across the aisle from one other. Passengers in 15 J & K, for example, will have a good view of passengers in 16 A & B, and vice versa. Actually, if you are travelling in a group of more than two and being able to chat is important to you, you'll probably want to sit in the middle section of the lower deck.

What happened to the exit row?

For all intents and purposes, it doesn’t exist. The seats in both rows 14 and 15 both back up to the exit area creating something more akin to an exit corridor. No extra legroom or particular advantage to these seats.

How is the seat for sleeping?

It’s a true, parallel-to-the-ground lie-flat seat, which is the big improvement. The arm rests on both sides can be manually lowered so that they don’t extend above the seat in bed configuration, which further increases arm and shoulder room. Unfortunately, for window seaters, there will be a healthy gap between the lowered arm rest and the side bins which means that the extra room on one side isn’t particularly useful since if you stick your arm far enough off the seat, it will essentially drop off a cliff with nothing to prop it up. As a 6-footer, my left foot was a little bit cramped due to the curvature of the foot-pocket, although this was not terribly bothersome. Both my seatmate and I felt that the seat lacked sufficient padding in the lumbar region of the back so we both woke up with sore lower backs.

What is the audio and video on-demand like?

For United and in comparison to the old configuration, great. The video screens are positively huge. There aren’t as many movies as one may find on airlines like Singapore, but still, there should be enough features to keep all but the most demanding and fickle passengers entertained.

As for the E+ cabin . . .

Seat pitch seems indistinguishable throughout, the bulkhead row 19 excepted. I don't care for the seats in row 19 myself because the hard bulkhead without cutouts effectively prevents all but the shortest traveler from stretching out his or her feet. This is true of both the outside seats as well as the middle section.

I would strongly advise against any D seat -- the aisle seats on the port side of the middle section -- because the audio boxes are beneath those seats and inhibit leg room for the left foot. There still should be enough room to place both feet, but only at a fairly sharp and uncomfortable angle.

As an aisle guy, I would go with one of the G seats. No audio box inhibiting leg room and landlocked middle seat passengers can access the aisle in either direction cutting in half your chance of getting bumped or bothered while you are trying to sleep.

There are still no individual seat-back video screens, unfortunately, so you are stuck with whatever programming UA runs on the main screens. Fortunately, the main screens have been upgraded to LCD screens. Sit at least a few rows back from row 19 to avoid being uncomfortably close to the screens.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a United 747

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2008, 9:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
I suppose the upper deck makes one feel "more elite"? Or is it just because there are fewer people that it is more quiet? Is the downtstairs simply not as nice because there are too many people?
It's at a higher altitude, so the air is cleaner...

I like it upstairs because it's less crowded, especially during boarding, and it's unique (among UA aircraft at least).
Old Nov 15, 2008, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It's at a higher altitude, so the air is cleaner...

I like it upstairs because it's less crowded, especially during boarding, and it's unique (among UA aircraft at least).
Have you sat downstairs in business also?
Old Nov 15, 2008, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by gaobest
I chose 14A which faces forward and is upper deck. I know everyone says that facing forward or backward is irrelevant but it affects me mentally! I can't even be in an upside-down position in Pilates because of the psychological effects.

So my FRA>SFO C is in February and everyday I wonder if it will go back to the old 744 which would put me in a *bad* U/D seat (since on the old 744 I always chose Row 15 exit). I keep thinking about how/when I will ask about this on FT and keep thinking to post about it closer to the date. In the meantime it's one of my many daily thoughts. Will the 744 still be new or will it go back to old? Ugh. This may be my only new 744 C experience for a long time, because I've no plans for 744 TATL travel after Feb. So I'm totally excited and totally worried that I'll be excited and then crestfallenly disappointed if I arrive at FRA and learn it's the old 744 and that I can't switch my C seat. Then there are the days I need to check .bomb to make sure my UG is still confirmed.

I really think you should just relax, perhaps take a pill It's more than three months away and a lot can happen between now and then. In the grand scheme of things it only 11 hours of your entire life.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 12:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
Have you sat downstairs in business also?
Yes. It was fine, but we just prefer the upper deck (especially Row 15).
Old Nov 16, 2008, 10:58 am

Upper deck it is!

I'm all set for 16a an 15K in the upper deck on new config C. In one, I'm sitting forward, the other, I'm sitting backwards. Will let you know how it goes!
Old Nov 16, 2008, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Row 15 for old or new or both configurations? If only for old, then which row for new configuration?

I love Row 15 for old configuration, and as I babbled before, I've not been on the new configuration.

What amuses me are the airlines where the upper deck of 744 is Economy. I'm not sure if I'd want to climb the stairs to go to Economy. Plus I'm guessing there are still only 2 bathrooms but now with maybe twice or at least 50% more pax.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 12:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gaobest
Row 15 for old or new or both configurations? If only for old, then which row for new configuration?

I love Row 15 for old configuration, and as I babbled before, I've not been on the new configuration.

What amuses me are the airlines where the upper deck of 744 is Economy. I'm not sure if I'd want to climb the stairs to go to Economy. Plus I'm guessing there are still only 2 bathrooms but now with maybe twice or at least 50% more pax.
As seatguru / seatexpert reports there is little difference in the new config U/D seats. Certainty not like the advantage of row 15 in old config. Some think new config row 12 is too close to the lav.

It basically window /aisle and forward/backward facing choices. If you fear a config change and can handle backward facing, pick 15 if available. That's what I did -- outcome was new config both ways.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 6:00 pm

747 upstairs

Another thing I could do is do outboudn upstairs and return downstairs to see which is better...
Old Nov 19, 2008, 3:26 pm
BTA

Programs: Fly: AA EXP UA Gold MM Stay: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat Drive: Avis PC, Hertz PC
Question Best F seats on reconfig 747

Hi all,

I've searched for an answer here with little luck, and seatguru doesn't seem to be that informative, just using the same info from the old config. Both are likely due to not a lot of people flying these seats yet.

Anyway, I throw it out to the experts here. I have a SYD roundtrip coming up in the spring, and the seat map opened up recently (the right side is available for seat selection). I'm traveling with Ms. BTA, so I'd like to sit together...Currently in 3C and 3H, as they seem like the best for a pair. She normally likes window seats, but at least on the outbound, it will likely be dark for most of it. On the return, there probably isn't much to see besides ocean anyway most of the time.

Thanks for your input.

BTA

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 19, 2008 at 3:29 pm Reason: merged into existing thread
Old Nov 19, 2008, 3:31 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Please also see: http://seatexpert.com/seatmap/320/Un...ew_First_&_Biz)
Old Nov 19, 2008, 3:42 pm
BTA

Programs: Fly: AA EXP UA Gold MM Stay: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat Drive: Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Sorry, this probably should have gone in this thread initially...I did check that link, but unfortunately it doesn't have any info on the seats at all other than the configuration. which is why I'm looking for FTers sage advice.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 4:34 pm

What is 744 F (new config) like? Are 3/4 C/H similarly good for two traveling together as 4/5 E/F were on the old config? I have only flown the new F on the 763 (never the 744) and on the 763 the non-aisle sides of the new seats are quite high and would not promote too much conversation. If the 744 seats are the same it would seem that row 1 would be better for two traveling together than 3 or 4.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA (1MM); SPG Plat
Originally Posted by UA840
What is 744 F (new config) like? Are 3/4 C/H similarly good for two traveling together as 4/5 E/F were on the old config? I have only flown the new F on the 763 (never the 744) and on the 763 the non-aisle sides of the new seats are quite high and would not promote too much conversation. If the 744 seats are the same it would seem that row 1 would be better for two traveling together than 3 or 4.
I have found some pics posted by another FTer:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucas77...92200633/show/

Go to the end of the pics and will be able to see all 4 rows in F. It appears that the KitchenCounter is located in Row 2, which will make 2A/2K less private.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sink
I have found some pics posted by another FTer:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucas77...92200633/show/

Go to the end of the pics and will be able to see all 4 rows in F. It appears that the KitchenCounter is located in Row 2, which will make 2A/2K less private.
Interesting !

Do they actually serve this nice salad and pie on a domestic C ?
Old Nov 20, 2008, 12:27 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Interesting !

Do they actually serve this nice salad and pie on a domestic C ?
I don't know about domestic C now but I did get similar Salad on domestic first from SFO-ORD this Aug. Maybe they do some "enhancement" now.
It is amazed that there is still no PTV in Economy class cabin on new configuration 747s. United really focuses on "good" customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.