Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Documentation needed for Irish passport renewal

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2009, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Documentation needed for Irish passport renewal

Everyone was so helpful with my last question, I hope you don't mind if I ask another.

I currently hold an Irish passport, and have citizenship through my Irish-born mother.

When I applied for this passport I was required to use my mother's birth certificate as proof of citizenship. To renew my passport, do I need this birth certificate again, or will my current passport serve serve as sufficient evidence for my citizenship?

I want to make sure I have this right, as I'll be living far away from my parents when it comes time to renew, thereby making it hard to get the certificate.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Always best to go the the authoritative source than to ask here.

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=254#citizenship

At any rate, it seems you have to go for the difficult option:

If born outside Ireland to a parent born on the island of Ireland
the form of your civil birth certificate which shows the names of your parents (the long form) and
the long form civil birth certificate of your Irish born parent and, if applicable, your parents’ civil marriage certificate.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Your current Irish Passport is taken as 'proof of citizenship' for renewals.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 3:45 pm

Location: Northern Ireland (in spirit), but much more likely GB or Europe.
Programs: EI Aer Club, IB Plus, BA EC, AAdvantage
Your existing passport is fine, you have already proved you are an Irish Citizen. Section 3 on the APS2 does ask you to enter details of your birth (and in your case your mother's details since you were born outside Ireland), however as you have provided your mother's Irish birth certificate for your first passport, your existing passport will suffice.

www.passport.ie has everything you need to know. You can find sample versions of the current form at http://www.dfa.ie/uploads/documents/...20e%20form.pdf and guidance notes at http://www.dfa.ie/uploads/documents/...structions.pdf
Old Sep 9, 2009, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

The information is conflicting, which is why I asked here.

The passport application itself (the sample on-line) implies that the b.c. is only required for the first application.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 4:14 pm

Location: Northern Ireland (in spirit), but much more likely GB or Europe.
Programs: EI Aer Club, IB Plus, BA EC, AAdvantage
Because it is only required for the 1st application, you already have an Irish Passport in your own name, this is the only proof of Irish Citizenship required for a renewal.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BHDBOY
Because it is only required for the 1st application, you already have an Irish Passport in your own name, this is the only proof of Irish Citizenship required for a renewal.
Great news. Thanks for the quick replies, again!
Old Sep 9, 2009, 4:44 pm

If you're going to renew your Irish passport in London then you should check with the Irish Embassy in London to find out their exact requirements - which may differ from the requirements for renewing a passport in Ireland or at a different foreign embassy. Their web site is at www.embassyofireland.co.uk.

I recently renewed a German passport at the German Embassy in London, and the advice I was given was to check the Embassy's web site... and I would guess that the same advice would apply for passport renewals at ANY embassy.

As you already hold an Irish passport it is unlikely that you will have to provide proof of citizenship again - but going by my experience with the German Embassy there may well be other documents that you may be asked to produce, such as a utility bill as proof of residence.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 4:19 pm

Programs: CO Silver, DL
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
If you're going to renew your Irish passport in London then you should check with the Irish Embassy in London to find out their exact requirements - which may differ from the requirements for renewing a passport in Ireland or at a different foreign embassy. Their web site is at www.embassyofireland.co.uk.

I would advise you to check that the passport issued is the new style machine-readable one...I know that even when we had those ones here that the one issued in Embassies/Consulates weren't this style. This may have changed but might be worth checking.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by ibdublin
I would advise you to check that the passport issued is the new style machine-readable one...I know that even when we had those ones here that the one issued in Embassies/Consulates weren't this style. This may have changed but might be worth checking.
This particular point is covered on the Irish Embassy's web site... passports aren't issued by the Embassy, they are issued in Dublin. The Embassy just does the paperwork.

Likewise my last two German passports were issued in Berlin, not London (and the current one is biometric). The only passports still issued at the Embassy are emergency ones which (in the case of German passports) are not machine readable and are only valid a year.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 6:21 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ibdublin
To be fair, the London embassy issues so many Irish passports that it is almost a passport office in its own right!

My Irish passport, issued in London last year, is both machine readable and has a biometric chip - looks just like the ones issued in Ireland (in fact, I understand some of the London passports may actually get issued in Ireland!). For the record, even the passport I was issued with in London in 1998 was machine readable.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 7:20 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, BA
Originally Posted by House
My Irish passport, issued in London last year, is both machine readable and has a biometric chip - looks just like the ones issued in Ireland (in fact, I understand some of the London passports may actually get issued in Ireland!).
I believe all passports from the Irish Embassy in London are actually processed in Dublin. They usually are rather quick, mine turned up in the post last year within a week of my application.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.