Wiki Posts
Search

LHR transit questions...any info appreciated

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2009, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
LHR transit questions...any info appreciated

Hey folks, I had posted this in the HEX/HEC thread but as it's sort of an amalgam of questions thought I'd put it out to the wider community. Seriously - any thoughts appreciated.

Hey folks, any advice appreciated. Spouse + self flying MSP - LHR on NW on an award leaving 9/11 but arriving 12 PM 9/12 into T4. Hopefully we'll avoid the 3-hour immigration queue I found in place when I stupidly arrived on 9/11/07. (Any advice on recent immigration waiting time appreciated - I've searched for threads but not found much.) It's award travel in Y so no hope of fast-tracking the queue.

Right now we plan to stay at one of the airport hotels (Sheraton Heathrow, also on points) the night of the 12th, in case we do run into an exhausting/exasperating security queue after a 9-hour flight. We prepurchased HEX tickets into town for the 13th, after finding a coupon for a discount and upgrade to first-class.

However, the majority of our stay will be @ Hilton Paddington - we're staying on points (GLONP2) and decided we'd like to be close to transit options rather than somewhere picturesque but out of the way.

I know we'd have to take a "free shuttle" to reach Hotel Hoppa from T4, which has me thinking we'd need to take a cab to Sheraton LHR rather than wait what could be a long time for shuttle + Hoppa. However, this could be expensive - I seem to remember this trip running around £10 last time I went, so that's nearly US$40 for roundtrip cab fare to the hotel.

Should I cancel the Sheraton, since the HEX might take us to Paddington quickly? I hear the transfer at Heathrow 1-2-3 may be slow, and not knowing exactly what to expect I'm thinking I'd really rather avoid a transit hassle on very little sleep, particularly on top of what could be a long immigration queue. (Not trying to make an issue of this, I know USA immigration queues are awful as well.)

Would we have to change our HEX tickets? The HEX website mentions "ticket reservations are kept in the system six months" and the ticket would still be good if we'd "booked the wrong date" (here), but there's no further information on necessary steps to travel on an alternate date.

If we do decide to go straight into town and cancel our airport hotel, should I pay the 10 quid apiece to cancel the HEX ticket and book Connect, avoiding the transfer at 1-2-3?

Also, have been searching for threads letting me know if my carry-ons will be weighed, as my bag was in 2007. I realize the one-bag limit has been lifted, but need to plan for any issues on the weight thing since will have heavy camera gear.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Also, let me know if these questions would be more appropriately asked elsewhere - I've used Search profusely and not found a sort of master thread on this.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Unless you take a taxi from T4 straight to the Sheraton, you can get from T4 to Paddington on the Heathrow Connect faster than you can from T4 to your hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.