Wiki Posts
Search

connecting in MAN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2009, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EB*G, BT VIP
connecting in MAN

It is quite some time since I was in Manchester last time, and never connected there.
Looking for advise if 50 min connection time will be sufficient to arrive T3 on SAS (09:30) and be in time to T1 for BMI domestic departure (10:20)? Most probably I would need to check-in for BMI flight at MAN, no checked baggage.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 2:37 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
I think you will be going T1 -> T3, not the other way around.

There is a flight connection route marked in T1 - keep your eyes open as you head down towards UK immigration. I think in T1 it's off to the left and up some stairs, just before immigration.

From there, I have no idea, as I live in MAN and have never connected. However, my recommendation is to get SAS to check you in or, check in online with bmi and print or get the boarding pass sent to your phone.

It's a small airport and you should make it!
Old Aug 25, 2009, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, you are right, arriving T1 and departing T3
Old Aug 26, 2009, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Airside connection is a bit of a faff. IIRC it involves phoning someone and waiting for a bus to pick you up.....50mins might be tight.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Airside connection is a bit of a faff. IIRC it involves phoning someone and waiting for a bus to pick you up.....50mins might be tight.
I have done it the other way around (a long time ago, though) and it did not involve a bus transfer as the terminals are adjacent (are you confusing with T2, by any chance, are have things changed in the last couple of years or so)?

Originally Posted by another_shot
Most probably I would need to check-in for BMI flight at MAN, no checked baggage.
This would suggest that you are doing a DIY connection on separate tickets. If so, I would strongly advise you against it. A 50 mins connection, even on the same airline out of the same terminal, is asking for trouble. If your SK flight is late and you miss your BD flight, BD could very well ask you to pay for a new ticket. If it is on the same ticket, however, I would probably do it. The worst that is likely to happen is that BD put you on the next available flight.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB
I have done it the other way around (a long time ago, though) and it did not involve a bus transfer as the terminals are adjacent (are you confusing with T2, by any chance, are have things changed in the last couple of years or so)?.
It was from Swiss (who use T1) to BA (who use T3 I think). It was International to Domestic which might have necessitated the bus as I had to immigrate in T3.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 8:03 am
Original Poster

For some reason I cannot get this routing on a single ticket at any internet reservation system, at least not for BD 10.20 departure and next BD flight will be too late for me. I guess I will take Flybe instead which will give me 1:30 connection time.
Thanks to everyone for help!
Old Aug 26, 2009, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
You can't book it as a through ticket probably because the transfer time is less than the airport's official Minimum Connection Time - that is the time it thinks you need to safely connect from one flight to the next.

I think that might tell you something about the shortness of the connection
Old Aug 26, 2009, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

I never though 50 min is really not enough at MAN, usually I can connect in 50 min in most European airports unless really bad luck. Maybe a part of the reason is passing immigration, which you don't need to do on continent.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Just for the record: it took me 20 min from arrival gate in T1 to transfer desk in T3, including getting boarding pass at transfer desk and short visit to rest room . There is a walkway from T1 to T3, just follow the "transfer" signs, no bus transfer, walking all the way. It looks I was the only one going this way today morning. There is a security screening and immigration on the way, dedicated for T1->T3 connection.
It would help to have onward boarding pass in hands, but printed booking confirmation worked as well at security.
Overall with hand baggage (or baggage checked through) 50 min is quite managable, especially with boarding pass for onward flight.

p.s. and then I stuck with Flybe for 1.5 hrs. First 10 min delay due to aircraft change (technical), then pushed from the gate, started engines and came back to the stand again with technical problem. There was one more spare aircraft on the apron, but with deboarding, coming back to terminal, crew transfer etc departed 1:30 later than scheduled.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 3:14 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
That's why they're called Flymaybe!!!

Thanks for the update on the transfers - it will be useful for others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.