Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Intra-Europe trip from London: Any advice, suggestions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2007, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K in training

I'm a U.S. resident and I've done many trips to London in the past, but this time I'm doing something new: I'm doing a nested trip to Frankfurt in the middle of my London trip, and I'd like to know what to expect.

First of all, I'm staying near the Fulham Broadway tube stop and I'm trying to figure out which airport will be the easiest for me. Heathrow's reasonably close since I'm already on the west side, but it's always pretty crazy for my international trips. Would I be better off flying in/out of LCY, for example?

Second, how do intra-Europe flights compare to flights to/from the U.S.? Do I need to get to the airport just as early, or is the timing a little more relaxed, as with U.S. domestic flights?

Finally, will I have any issues with hand baggage restrictions? I know I'll be limited to a single bag per current U.K. security rules, but I also seem to recall that intra-Europe baggage rules were a lot less permissive than those for other international (or U.S. domestic) flights. Will I have any difficulty if I bring my U.S. carry-on sized rollerboard?

Any advice/suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Hi - a little more information (which really makes all the difference) would be really useful:

- Which airline will you be flying?
- Which class will you be flying?
- What time of day will you be flying at?

Re: hand luggage, whether or not your bag is too big does not depend on the destination. Your US bag *should* be fine, but I would check the airport's sizers if possible.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Consider London City Airport, British Airways CitiExpress Avro RJ100 service to Frankfurt.

Even if you are forced to check-in luggage, you will get it back quicker at LCY than LHR.

Heathrow would be a 2nd choice for me. London City is like Washington National with the congestion of Kansas City International or Toledo Express (not much congestion).
Old Oct 8, 2007, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
From Fulham Broadway, London-City is probably the furthest airport to get to. Heathrow will be the easiest as you can change to the Picadilly line at Earl's Court and go straight there. Gatwick is not that difficult either -- you can catch the Southern Rail from West Brompton and change to the Gatwick train at Clapham Junction. No sweat.

As for bags you're right, they are a lot more restrictive, particularly if you fly the low-cost carriers like Ryanair and EasyJet.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyguy
Will I have any difficulty if I bring my U.S. carry-on sized rollerboard?
Probably, as UK security rules state that the bag size INCLUDES all bits that stick out like wheels & handles and don't use "linear inches", so the maximum overall size is 56x45x25cm (22x17.7x10in)

In any case low costs airlines generally use 55x40x20cm (21.7x15.7x7.9in) for hand luggage and it can be smaller
Old Oct 8, 2007, 3:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum
Fulham Broadway to LCY / LHR by Tube

I would have also said LHR was much easier and quicker - but looking at the TFL website, it seems there isn't that much in it...... although it will depend on time of day as to which option is more comfortable.

From Fulham Broadway to LCY

LCY OPTION ONE
Take the Upminster Bound District line train to Westminster (16 minutes or so) Take the Jubilee Line from Westminster to Canning Town (19 minutes) take the DLR train to City Airport (7 minutes) =42 minutes total but with connection time nearer an hour....

LCY OPTION TWO
Take the Upminster Bound District Line train to Monument (26 minutes) quite a long walk to Bank DLR station - Take the DLR train to City Airport (24 minutes -= total time probably a little more than an hour

LHR
Take any District Line train to Earls Court - (4 minutes) - change to the Picadilly Line to Heathrow (40 minutes) - with connections about =50 minutes

So I would say LHR is a little easier and quicker, but given there may be other factors involved - I wouldn't say that access by tube is the deciding issue.......
Old Oct 8, 2007, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LHR is a no-no. Apart from the fact that it's the busiest airport, operated by a dismal company and feels extremely chaotic in general, it's the most prone to weather delays/cancellations because of its location. I actively work to avoid LHR, and only end up flying from there if I can get a ridiculously cheap fare on AZ (one of the few major EU carriers who only fly to one UK airport).
LCY should be the preferred option, from where you can fly nonstop on either BA or LH or even with a convenient connection at AMS in case you're too loyal to Skyteam or just want a few extra miles/segments!
If you don't like the above airlines, can't find low enough fares or are simply feeling adventurous you can venture slightly further afield and fly low-cost- either AB from Stansted (Ryanair don't fly to Frankfurt despite claiming to do so- therefore avoid!) or Flybe from Southampton.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K in training
Originally Posted by ajax
Hi - a little more information (which really makes all the difference) would be really useful:

- Which airline will you be flying?
- Which class will you be flying?
- What time of day will you be flying at?
Airline: Don't care; this is the least important factor. I have lots of miles on Star Alliance, but for a flight this short, it really doesn't matter to me.

Class: Economy

Time of day
LHR - FRA: sometime on Monday (probably middle of the day, with some
flexibility)
FRA - LHR: either late Wednesday evening or early Thursday morning
Old Oct 9, 2007, 2:34 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Hi

You're in a pretty good position. Since you're flying in the middle of the day, you'll miss a lot of the early morning business traffic.

Fulham Broadway is much closer to LHR (only about 30 minutes by Tube I'd reckon). You could take public transport to LCY, too, but that would take you about an hour I'd say (District Line to Westminster, Jubilee Line to Canning Town, DLR to LCY) - but the transfers are quite easy.

I would recommend flying from LCY in this case, as it's such an easy check-through process. Everyone is relaxed and it takes you approximately five minutes from arrival to being in the lounge, especially at that time of day.

I asked about class and airline because, for instance, if you were flying CE on BA, you could use Fast Track in Terminal 1 and get through security, etc., much more quickly than if you were flying LH economy from Terminal 2.

I would go for LCY.

Best wishes to you.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 7:11 am

Another vote for LCY.

The journey to LHR may be quicker, but any time saved on London Underground would be lost by the longer check-in time and longer security lines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.