Wiki Posts
Search

The world of pounds sterling

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2007, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, American
The world of pounds sterling

A few months ago, I posted a question on this board regarding currency in Northern Ireland. It was explained to me by many of you (thanks, by the way) that NI had it's own version of pounds sterling. Basically, four different banks had their own notes (including, to my amusement, the Bank of Ireland).

It was also pointed out that Scotland and another jurisdictions had their own notes. Apparantly, merchants in England don't like taking these other notes.

Today, I was reading an article in The Chicago Tribune about Gibraltar.

Among other things, this tiny country has it's own pounds sterling notes, too.

I hope I don't get into trouble with the moderator of this board for posting this link:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel...,2314962.story
Old Oct 3, 2007, 3:05 am

Coins from Gibraltar turn up from time to time in change in the UK; I typically get 2-3 each year. Isle of Man coins are about as common in my experience but I haven't got any this way from the Channel Islands.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 4:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
The Channel Islands do have their own coins as well. As a student, I worked in a supermarket, and we'd take the coins, but not give them out again in change. Since they are all the same size, only the design changes (like the Euro), they can be used in vending machines as well.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 4:51 am
Suspended

Being a Manxman I always have a collection of Manx coins lying around - I use them in vending machines and parking machines.

They are equally as valid from a bank's perspective, but people think they are funny money so shy away from accepting them, especially as they often have dodgy looking art on the reverse side which makes them look like toytown coins from a game.

For instance this one from the back of our two pound coin. And we still have a (plastic) one pound note.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 4:58 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
greetings from the channel islands!

whenever im back in london i always find my pockets full of the local coins, which i'll put into parking meters etc, you can generally slip them past shop keepers too.

An interesting fact that has won me more then a couple of bets: scottish notes are NOT legal tender in england, and therefore there is no obligation to accept them. Thats enough to win the first bet, then throw out: in fact scottish notes are not actually legal tender in scotland. That one always wins the double or quits...
Old Oct 3, 2007, 5:05 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by aceman
An interesting fact that has won me more then a couple of bets: scottish notes are NOT legal tender in england, and therefore there is no obligation to accept them.
Just a clarification for new travellers to the UK: Although there is no official obligation for a shop in London to take your Scottish bank notes, almost all do take them.

I did get a (joking) comment a few times when paying with English notes in Scotland.

SmilingBoy.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IIRC the Falklands also have their own coins and notes?

The biggest pain with CI money is the 1 pound note. Other coins and notes are easier to get rid off. Travelex at LGW are normally happy to swap CI notes for GBP without any hassle.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 5:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by aceman
greetings from the channel islands!

whenever im back in london i always find my pockets full of the local coins, which i'll put into parking meters etc, you can generally slip them past shop keepers too.

An interesting fact that has won me more then a couple of bets: scottish notes are NOT legal tender in england, and therefore there is no obligation to accept them. Thats enough to win the first bet, then throw out: in fact scottish notes are not actually legal tender in scotland. That one always wins the double or quits...
IIRC they are actually a promissary note issued by the Scottish banks, which the banks have always made good on, and as such are accepted in good faith.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 5:21 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by Jenbel
IIRC they are actually a promissary note issued by the Scottish banks, which the banks have always made good on, and as such are accepted in good faith.
So than that's not really a reason against the Euro then (as I have heard a number of times)? They could still issue these notes, right?

SmilingBoy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.