Wiki Posts
Search

26 HRS in London -- Advice for a Noob

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2007, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
26 HRS in London -- Advice for a Noob

I have 26hrs to spend in London and this is my first time, so pls be kind. I land in LGW at 830am on OCT 19th and leave from LHR the next day at 1030am. I need advice on the following:

1) Which hotel to stay closest to LHR?
2) What to do? Is there a city tour?
3) What are the must see-must do in London?
4) How can I get to LHR? I only have a small check in bag and a laptop bag.

Any other advice would be most beneficial. Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 10:19 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I personally wouldn't stay at LHR, but (I see you're HH Gold) would go for the Hilton London Paddington, right in the station which has a 15-minute rail transfer to LHR. You can get to Paddington from LGW rather easily by getting the train to London Victoria, and then onwards by Tube (Circle Line), Bus (36/436) or Taxi. Don't get a taxi all the way from LGW, it costs loads and takes forever.

As for what to do... Well, there's a million things to do in this city, what do you like? There are plenty hop-on hop-off tour buses, as well as the rather unique London Duck Tours.

Do bear in mind the weather is likely to be poor in October, so arm yourself with a good umbrella, and plenty indoor things to do. The London Eye and Tate Modern are rather good, and a show of some sort is thought by many to be a London 'must'.

The Visit London website is a mine of information, particularly for temporary exhibitions and events.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 10:30 am

Programs: AC, BW, National
Intersting, interesting, .....

What are your interests, war, art, social, pubbing, theater, shopping, good food, great wine, indian food, goth, ..... give us a hint and we can direct you better.

Cheers,
SC
Old Oct 2, 2007, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Well, since this is my first time ever in London, I would like to see the basic sights that all tourists see like Buckingham Palace and so forth. I would like to be a tour grooup so that I do not have to get around by myself and get bored.

Later in the evening, good place to eat (love to eat - but nothing Italian as I just got back from Italy). I would like to try one of the famous Indian restauarnts in London for dinner though.

Hotel -- I do not know yet since I would like to find out how elites are treated at the Hilton or the IC.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
OK. I'll take a stab. The 19th is a Friday, I believe.

As recommended - don't bother with staying way out at LHR, but stay at/in Paddington and take the HEX to LHR in the morning.

You should be in London proper by about noon at the latest, I would think.

Drop your bags at the hotel and hit the street.

I would do most of this itin. by walking, but then I'm a nut for strolling around.

For lunch, I'd just grab something quick and hit the sights. Pret-a-manger are everywhere and reliable for a very quick sandwich. (some will disagree with me).

Assuming you're staying in Paddington, I'd head down Oxford street and make a quick stop in Selfridge's (the big department store) just for a quick walkabout - I like it much more that Harrod's. Continue on Oxford street and find your way to the British Museum. It will be busy, but still worth the look.

From there I'd walk past St. Paul's and then cross the Thames on the Pedestrian bridge.

Go into the Tate Modern, which is a fabulous building with a so so collection.

By now its probably getting on towards supper time, there are a row of places sort of behind the Tate Modern on "the Cut" The Hope and Anchor is possibly the best known of the lot.

After supper wander back to the Thames and head left along the banks to Westminster Bridge. By now it should be dark and the views are fantastic. If you have the strength take a detour past Westminster Abbey which will most likely be closed but is still worth a walk around.

If you're still on your feet walk your way up past Trafalgar Square, up Regent Street, Left on Oxford Street and find your way home.

If you're dog tired hop on the Number 15 or 23 bus at Trafalgar Square (buy a ticket from the machine on the curb, I think its a pound) and that will take you right to Paddington Station.

The next morning be sure to allow enough time for the HEX, its about a 20 minute trip one you're on the train.

A variation for the evening would be to have the hotel concierge see if they can get you Theatre tickets for that night.

Last edited by milepig; Oct 2, 2007 at 11:54 am
Old Oct 2, 2007, 11:30 am

1) Heathrow Hilton - wouldn't stop there though when you can stay in London overnight and still easily make your flight

2) Several hop on, hop off tours, you can also get local buses that will take you past many of the sights

3) ABSOLUTE essentials for the 1st timer - London Eye, British Museum & Tower of London

4) have you tried looking at the Heathrow Airport website - ditto for getting from Gatwick to London
Old Oct 2, 2007, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by alanR
1) Heathrow Hilton - wouldn't stop there though when you can stay in London overnight and still easily make your flight

2) Several hop on, hop off tours, you can also get local buses that will take you past many of the sights

3) ABSOLUTE essentials for the 1st timer - London Eye, British Museum & Tower of London

4) have you tried looking at the Heathrow Airport website - ditto for getting from Gatwick to London

I left off the Tower of London only because it is a wee bit off my walking course. Agree with the London Eye, and it is right on my walking path by Westminster Bridge. You can prebook tickets online, I believe.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

well....I am looking at the Hilton Paddington since that will give me easy access to the station and directly to LHR !!

I was looking more into a city bus tour as I will be walking for 5 days straight at a fair in BOLOGNA and will be tired of walking 10 miles a day, but thanks for the input MILEPIG -- but your food inputs are encouraging.

I am researching all the websites and going forward.

Anyone know of a good hole in the wall Indian food place --- preferably north indian cuisine? I do not want a SUPERB place that is evry expensive.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 6:29 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
Originally Posted by anaggie
well....I am looking at the Hilton Paddington since that will give me easy access to the station and directly to LHR !!

I was looking more into a city bus tour as I will be walking for 5 days straight at a fair in BOLOGNA and will be tired of walking 10 miles a day, but thanks for the input MILEPIG -- but your food inputs are encouraging.

I am researching all the websites and going forward.

Anyone know of a good hole in the wall Indian food place --- preferably north indian cuisine? I do not want a SUPERB place that is evry expensive.
I cant remember the name of the place, but there is a nice Indian (really cheap) on Greys Inn Road nearly opposite the Sky News centre. We used to get 5 pound student meals from there that was curry, rice, pampadums, naan and chutneys.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 9:57 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

London single-ride bus tickets paid for in cash are now GBP2. For GBP5.10, you can get a one-day travelcard (valid from 9:30am onwards until 4:30am the following morning) that is good for the tube in zones 1 & 2 -- all you'll need -- and all bus routes in London.

Get the travelcard and use public transit instead of taking a tour, during the week, there are busses going everywhere. Be sure to ride upstairs in double decker busses if at all possible!

There is a decent pamphlet, usually buried in the pamphlet racks at Heathrow located right after immigration, that shows you the bus routes around all the areas you will want to go. And there are tube maps available most anywhere as well.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 1:53 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
London single-ride bus tickets paid for in cash are now GBP2. For GBP5.10, you can get a one-day travelcard (valid from 9:30am onwards until 4:30am the following morning) that is good for the tube in zones 1 & 2 -- all you'll need -- and all bus routes in London.
Or now 90p with an Oyster card, but you won't need those for so short a trip.

If you're only going to be using the buses, don't bother with a travelcard, just get a one-day bus pass, which is cheaper, and available from the bus stop ticket machines.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 8:13 pm

Programs: AC, BW, National
My 2 bob

I would also highly recommend a one day travel anywhere in the circle tube ticket. Last time I bought one it was about 10 pounds. The advantage is you can then hope one station and get out and look about without consideration for the fare. My sis didn't buy one and when she totaled what she spent she was up around 22 pounds for the day.

I second the thought on the Eye of London. While there the tower of London was a highlight for me. I enjoyed seeing the weaponry and how it evolved over the years and some of the novel arms various kings funded research for. T of L also houses the crown jewels which is a you kinda gotta see it once thing. (Oh, also look for traitors gate and the new women Yeomen! Kinda cool to see history walking around live.)

After walking for the several days prior can I suggest a theater. It is always something I hit when in London. There is a day-of-show place and they have half price tickets. They now take Visa. You should hit it about 9:30 or 10:00 when they open (the line does move fairly quickly.) Everyone has signs saying half price tickets but the right place is a small one story building in the middle of a square (Leicester square???) and it has a low metal railing to guide the lineup.

Cheery-O,
SC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.