Wiki Posts
Search

Refund of UK departure tax?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2007, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Refund of UK departure tax?

We have a flight AUS-LHR-AUS for later in the year; but planning to do a side trip Eurostar to Amsterdam. I have bought a one-way AMS-LHR to connect with the return flight. Is it possible to get the UK departure taxes refunded in this case? How about outside of Euro zone connecting to LGW flight? (looking at AUS-LGW-AUS on AA and RAK-LGW on LCC)
Old Sep 24, 2007, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
From HM Revenue and Customs Web site - In addition to the connection having to be within 24 hours, which yours apparently is:

In addition to the time related criteria, the agreement for carriage must be evidenced by a ticket which must show the:

airport from which the passenger intends to depart
date and time of his intended departure and
airport at which he intends to arrive.
The connected flights must be detailed on the same ticket or conjunction tickets to qualify for the exemption. Tickets can only be regarded as conjunction tickets if:

(a) they are in one booklet; or

(b) where they are in separate booklets:

each refers to the other and states that they are to be read in conjunction or
there is a summary of the flights constituting the passengers journey including the flights in question.
Although the flights may meet all the other criteria for determining whether two flights are connected, they will only qualify for the exemption if the connection is evidenced on the ticket or a flight summary.
Since there does not seem to be any connection between your trans-Atlantic round trip and the one-way AMS-LHR flight you bought later, you will be liable for UK Air Passenger Duty (aka departure tax). (The definition of "booklet" is taken to mean a single ticket in the case of e-tickets. There may be some wiggle room there, but not much.)

Last edited by Efrem; Sep 24, 2007 at 8:05 pm Reason: Correct typo in name of UK department responsible for APD
Old Sep 25, 2007, 8:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
OP has an answer, and this thread will go to the more appropriate forum. Thanks for your participation.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 4:10 am

Programs: Several. Forget airmiles!
Post APD when flying out of the UK

G'day

Whether you come from Oz, Paris, Brussels or Timbuktu, the UK (doubled since Feb 2007) "Brownonian" airport departure taxes is levied on you if you leave a UK airport

That applies if you leave from London, Cardiff, Glasgow or Belfast and is the reason why British (and Manx) now fly outside Europe from Dublin

Here an example

Ryanair are flying at low cost to Marrakesh, Morocco presently.

If I leave from London-Luton, my "taxes and fees" come to GBP 55 on the outward flight alone because Morocco is not Europe

If I fly Liverpool to Girona (Barcelona) for GBP28 return inclusive and then Girona to Marrakesh for euro 20 rtn incl, that makes only GBP 42 for the whole return inclusive trip whilst I don't even get there from Luton for that.

I combined two trips to France and Sweden this spring (your autumn) with connection in Hahn (Germany) in order to avoid the UK APD on even European flights.

Dublin is the answer or don't fly out of the UK on your way back home

More at http://travel.holidays.com and check out /tips and also /recommendations too

You leave UK ---- You pay APD
The Customs and Excise know no pardons or rebates mate

Cheers
Airnuts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.