Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to go in December?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2007, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Where to go in December?

I've set aside 2 days of an upcoming London trip for the purpose of doing a side trip elsewhere in the country. There are a lot of useful threads on this topic in this forum, and if I were going in May, I'd be spoiled for choice.

However, I'm going in early December, and so I think that probably changes the equation. Any advice would be welcome, particularly about Bath vs. Brighton vs. Edinburgh. (And yes, I realize I could go to Paris, but I did that last time.)
Old Oct 3, 2007, 12:43 pm

Try York - 2 hours from London

http://www.yuletideyork.com/

You could try Edinburgh but it's combination of German Market, open air ice rink isn't that inspiring

http://www.edinburghschristmas.com/
Old Oct 3, 2007, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
As much as I love Brighton, December is not when it shines best. The OP may want to consider Manchester. There is almost always some show or event going on, the city centre is VERY walkable, and advance train tickets on Virgin from London can often be had for 10GBP ow.

One note of caution - There is not a giant selection of hotels in the city centre of Manchester. Do not arrive without a reservation and assume you'll just find something. Book in advance and you'll be fine.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 3:58 pm
Suspended

I would suggest eschewing the busy cities that time of year and book ahead for a lovely Cotswold break - bracing walks in the coutryside, a trip round a country house, possibly Blenheim, and a stay at the Swan at Bibury for delicious organic full English Breakfast, and lashings of crumpets and sandwiches for afternoon tea round a crackling fireplace.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 4:29 pm

York over Bath or Brighton. Manchester better for shopping but possibly not as interesting for a US tourist (especially given the exchange rate). I'd say it's York or Edinburgh.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 1:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Wingnut
York over Bath or Brighton. Manchester better for shopping but possibly not as interesting for a US tourist (especially given the exchange rate). I'd say it's York or Edinburgh.
let's not forget the atmospheric European Christmas markets that take over all of Manchesters vacant squares from end of Nov up to Christmas. They are absolutely ace!
Old Oct 4, 2007, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm actually Jewish, so the Christmas stuff is of interest to me only in a very limited "oooh, pretty lights" kind of way. I also need to get there via train or (hopefully not) bus, which lets the Cotswolds out, I think. However, taking the chance to tour a country house is an excellent idea and makes me think that York and Castle Howard may be the way to go. I'm sure there are things to do in York besides shop for Christmas ornaments, right?

Also, Manchester -- who knew? My only reference for it is Queer As Folk and I'd thought the point was that it was rather dreary, but I suppose one shouldn't believe everything one sees on TV. Will mark the shopping there down for some hopeful vist in the future when the dollar isn't in the cellar.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 4:15 am

York has the Minster (catherdral), the City Walls, beautiful historic streets with odd names, museums a plenty (Vikings and trains amongst others), Clifford's Tower (the site of a 12th Century Jewish massacre) and is less than two hours on the train from London.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 4:23 am

Programs: Several. Forget airmiles!
Boka Tov Tea Addict
So you only like pretty lights and don't celebrate the Jewish Hannukah?

I worked with a Jewish Bank for 14yrs and found that they were able to bring up the respect of our Christmas just as we respected their holidays, beliefs and festive days

It sounds as if you are looking for warmth at the North Pole on your December trip and I'd advise flying with Ryanair to Girona and then on to Marrakesh. It will be warmer and cheaper than staying in the UK during the hectic period ---- After all, it IS our Xmas

Hannuka tova mate and good luck in the ideas factory
Airnuts
(who flew Dublin-Tenerife for euro 1 each way last year in Dec)
Old Oct 4, 2007, 5:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by TeaAddict
Also, Manchester -- who knew? My only reference for it is Queer As Folk and I'd thought the point was that it was rather dreary.
shocked - who's spreading such rumours

Originally Posted by TeaAddict
, but I suppose one shouldn't believe everything one sees on TV.
very true, QAF in my opinion is specifically out dated view of MAN by now

but it does sound like MAN is not your cup of tea, at least for this trip
enjoy UK anyway!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.