How to get to Blackburn in the UK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2007, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond

Hi,

I am thinking of going to Blackburn in early October to attend a soccer game.
I am based in Detroit DTW. I have plenty of miles in NW, DL, UA and will likely need to make arrangements after September 20...I know, it's kind of late but I can be quite flexible.

It looks like I need to get to MAN since train from London will take too long to get to Blackburn? Cheap flights from Heathrow to MAN? Any recommended HIlton or Starwood properties in the Blackburn or Manchester area? Transportation to the Blackburn Rovers stadium?

I am looking for any feedback you can give me.

Thanks
Old Sep 7, 2007, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by gpapadop
It looks like I need to get to MAN since train from London will take too long to get to Blackburn? Cheap flights from Heathrow to MAN? Any recommended HIlton or Starwood properties in the Blackburn or Manchester area? Transportation to the Blackburn Rovers stadium?
Brand new Hilton in Manchester City Centre. In fact other new hotels in town as well, but since you asked for Hiltons and Starwoods. Another Hilton at the airport.

All can be found on hilton.co.uk or other hilton websites
Old Sep 7, 2007, 12:46 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat.
Why not use your UA miles on BD from ORD to MAN non-stop.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 4:00 pm

National Rail website for train times to/from Blackburn - the mainline station is "Manchester Piccadilly" and there's a station at MAN.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 4:11 pm

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
Ya use National Rail. If you can at all help it avoid travelling before 9.30am as it's off peak after that. Trains rum from MAN to the city centre then you'll want to transfer to Blackpool North or Preston train on Platform 14 (go up the travelator and be prepared to have a ticket ready to show as theres usually manned barriers in place) and probably change at Bolton?. (Bolton is only 20 minutes from where mrploddy lives XD). When you get to Bolton you'll probably come in to Platform 4 so you'll need to schlep over the bridge and head for Platform 1 on the far side as Blackburn trains come from there. Another option if you have a hotel in Manchester City centre which you probably will do is to walk to Manchester Victoria which is near Urbis (other side of town) and go from there on a Blackburn (direct) or Clitheroe train.

As for where you're going from the station to the stadium I guess taxi ?. All stations in the North West (big town ones) have a taxi rank nearby.

-mrploddy
Old Sep 9, 2007, 12:48 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by gpapadop
Hi,

I am thinking of going to Blackburn in early October to attend a soccer game.
I am based in Detroit DTW. I have plenty of miles in NW, DL, UA and will likely need to make arrangements after September 20...I know, it's kind of late but I can be quite flexible.

I am looking for any feedback you can give me.

Thanks

I don't want to incur the wrath and indignation of any Lancastrians out there, but unless you're a die-hard Blackburn fan, I have to think there are much better options. Blackburn is a rough old town with some serious race issues. And they are playing some ugly football this season.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 6:28 am

The fact that the OP even knows about Blackburn prolly means he does wanna go there.

To the previous poster I'm a Lancashire lad born and bred but there are different parts of Lancashire. East and West and I for my sins live in West Lancashire. I'd take Blackburn any day over the scousers from Skelmersdale XD.

If the OP has time to kill he could always come out to Wigan and catch a game there too. The JJB Stadium is very nice and theres some excellent pies to be had too. Also Bolton Wanderers games are easy to get too as well. Just get a train up to Horwich Parkway and the stadium is within walking distance.

-mrploddy
Old Sep 9, 2007, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
OP follow up

Hi,

Thanks for all the responses so far. The UA suggestion flying from ORD to MAN on BD is intriguing but twice now the UA rep (after holding for a while) did not have access to the BD computer system I will try again.

I also tried DL because I have a $400 voucher I can use but gave up holding on the phone...Not sure if they can get me there but I will try again.

I am a Greek fan of the Larissa soccer team that plays Blackburn for UEFA. I live near Detroit and just returned from a 3 week vacation in Europe. First match is in Larissa on September 20 and it looks like I am going to miss it due to prior family committments. A lot will depend on that game's score, if we get blown away I think I am not going to go. It's a $100 fee to redeposit my UA miles if I change my mind so it's kind of a crapshoot if I should do it now (not sure if there are any award seats anyway...).

I take it you recommend getting a hotel room in Manchester instead of Blackburn.

Again, thanks for the responses so far.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 7:59 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Blackburn Rovers FC is about to be taken over by a US based consortium.

Guess the Walker Trustees need the Cash to support Flybe

Last edited by UncleDude; Sep 9, 2007 at 8:06 am
Old Sep 9, 2007, 8:21 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
If you are just staying One Night stay at The MAN Airport Hilton and take the train from Manchester Airport via Preston for the Game. You may even have time to Visit the home of Man U.

If not Rent A Car and stay here http://www.stanleyhouse.co.uk/ you can visit the Lake District or an old Roman Town near The Hotel.

http://www.ribchestermuseum.org/

Also nearby is the Birthplace of SirLoin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoghton_Tower

For flights Delta fly from DTW via JFK fare around $700 or look at NW/KLM DTW-AMS-MAN
Old Sep 9, 2007, 11:32 am

I'd definitely recommend a hotel in Manchester city centre because
a) They're of International Standard (Commonwealth Games remember?)
b) Lots more choice of good food and entertainment
c) The journey is a lot simpler back to the airport than if coming from Blackburn and if the OP is not familiar with the Northwests rail network and the dual stations in Manchester it would be a baaaad idea to try and make it from Blackburn on the day of the flight.

I'm also reasonably sure theres a hotel from every major hotel group in the city centre. They're concentrated around Picadilly Gardens which is more or less the heart of the city and a equal distance walking from Victoria for the Blackburn train and Picadilly for the airport.

As for getting there igoing via Bolton is better than via Preston? Theare are services which are a lot more frequent and also direct as well if you go from Manchester Victoria.

-mrploddy
Old Sep 9, 2007, 11:45 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat.
Originally Posted by NWA747SNN
Why not use your UA miles on BD from ORD to MAN non-stop.
You can check *alliance award availability on the ANA website. You have to join Mileage Club first.

http://www.ana.co.jp/asw/AMCTopServlet?type=use

FYI, below is what the Blackburn fans will be "greeting" you with as an away supporter.

http://home.wanadoo.nl/maarten.geluk...blackburn.html
Old Sep 11, 2007, 9:37 am

If you're on a bit of a budget, you could do a lot worse than the travel lodge in the centre of Didsbury. I've stayed there a couple of times. Clean and functional rooms in a reasonable area. Also, good pubs close by and easy access to both the airport and the centre of Manchester which is where you will need to go in order to get a train to Blackburn.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 10:10 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Just be very careful you don't fall into one of the 4000 holes.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stut
Just be very careful you don't fall into one of the 4000 holes.

N.B, there is no SPG option in Manchester, but decent Hilton and Marriott options.

I have to say I can think of nicer places to go and watch a football match, even if they are playing your team. It's not an especially nice place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.