Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time to arrive at LHR for

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2007, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Time to arrive at LHR for Sunday morning flight

The wife and I are taking a much-needed vacation at the end of September, and we've chosen London as our destination.

While there's lots of things going on planning-wise, one thing that sticks out in my mind is the fact that we're on a flight that departs from LHR at 7:55 AM on Sunday morning (UA 923, if it matters). What time do we realistically need to leave London to make it to that flight, and what is the best way to get to the airport at that hour of a Sunday morning?

Last edited by QuantumMeruit; Aug 14, 2007 at 10:08 pm Reason: Fixed title to be more descriptive
Old Aug 14, 2007, 7:28 pm

Ought not be too tough by hired driver or Taxi. Even then I'd allow 3 to 3.5 hours (2 hours early to airport). Not sure about early morning train/bus schedules. You could save a few dollars but not much time.

Where are you staying in London?
Old Aug 14, 2007, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Assuming no need for last minute airport shopping, you need to arrive at LHR 1.75 hours prior to departure if you're in coach and 1.25 if in J or F.

You don't say where you're staying in Lon. If you dont mind a bit of a walk with bags and aren't too over burdened, the Heathrow from Paddington Sta is pretty slick. I'm not sure about Sun am departures but no more than 30 min apart.

Otherwise a taxi, 2 persons, about $100 should only take a half hour or so on a Sunday morning, assuming departure from the West End. I've never seen a huge time difference between taxi from hotel-Paddington-HEX-walk vs. taxi all the way door to door. (except at rush hour of course). A taxi (hotel to Paddington or hotel to Heathrow) wont be hard to get on a Sun morning but might not be right at the door either so leave another 20 min. All in all, at that time of a Sunday, I would leave hotel 2 hours before departure in premium class. There is no "best". Only a "worst" and that is the tube with baggage on a weekend (frequent maintenance on the lines).
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, that's all very helpful. Will I have any problems getting a taxi before 6:00 am on a Sunday morning, though?
Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by QuantumMeruit
Thanks, that's all very helpful. Will I have any problems getting a taxi before 6:00 am on a Sunday morning, though?
should not be a problem - reserve in advance and enquire from the hotel if they can recommend any companies
Old Aug 15, 2007, 2:28 am

Programs: KL/BMI/BA
Most hotels would be able to book a minicab for you (rather than a traditional Black Cab Taxi).

They operate 24 hours and will pick you up at your hotel and I'm sure will be much cheaper than a Black Cab-I'm also pretty sure they will have a set fare to Heathrow (rather than on the meter) which they would be able to quote when booking.

Have you thought about spending your last night at an airport hotel. This would be my first choice with such an early departure. I think you'll find airport properties significantly cheaper that central London & many have complimentary airport transport (although you'd have to check what time they start).

You wouldn't have to get up quite as early and I'm sure you would save $/£.

Last edited by simon stingray; Aug 15, 2007 at 2:39 am
Old Aug 15, 2007, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by simon stingray
Have you thought about spending your last night at an airport hotel. This would be my first choice with such an early departure. I think you'll find airport properties significantly cheaper that central London & many have complimentary airport transport (although you'd have to check what time they start).

You wouldn't have to get up quite as early and I'm sure you would save $/£.
Good idea. We used priceline and bid for a 4 star. We got the Sheraton Skyline for around $100 USD. Great hotel. If Just overnighting, you can even bid on 3 star hotels. Internet booking at the Skyline was about $200 USD and direct booking was even higher.

You can check out downtown Saturday at noon or whenever, check your bags with the hotel, enjoy the afternoon, have dinner and do a show if you want and head out late to the airport. What you save on the hotel will pay for much of your afternoon and evening or go early to the Skyline, relax at the pool and do dinner there.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 5:43 am

Whilst a hotel will be happy to book you a mini-cab the fare you'll pay will include their %age.

It's probably cheaper to do a search for a car service like justairports

As for finding airport hotels cheaper than central London my experience is that they aren't - nor do they have complimentary transport to & from them

Personally I'd prefer to stay in central London for for final night rather than some anonymous and (for the price) grotty hotel with equally grotty food

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.