Wiki Posts
Search

Dublin, Ireland Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2005, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Primary: AA & Marriott; Also Hilton, JetBlue and United
Dublin, Ireland Suggestions?

I'm headed to Dublin in a few months and would love any suggestions anybody has for restaurants. Looking for something with great food, yet great character too.

Thanks!

Todd
Old Mar 22, 2005, 6:44 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
From Saveur Magazine Jan/Feb 2005

Downstairs at the Dublin Writers Museum is an extraordinary restaurant called Chapter One. The dining room, with its granite walls and sash windows, is understated and elegant, and Irish chef Ross Lewis cooks with real finesse. The influence of France may be felt in many of his dishes, but where in France would we encounter perfect plaice filets served on a bed of minted mushy peas, with a cylinder of mashed-together potato salad and aioli on the side, or smoked haddock with a rarebit crust? And where else would we find an Irish charcuterie assortment offering salami, chorizo, cured smoked lamb, cured venison loin - and Lewis's own game terrine and pig's foot sausage?
Old Mar 22, 2005, 7:15 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I believe these two are two star Michelin

http://www.restaurantpatrickguilbaud.ie/

http://www.thorntonsrestaurant.com/

A place we have not been but that gets good press is: http://www.mermaid.ie/
Old Mar 22, 2005, 4:02 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Prices in Dublin are higher than NY, London, Paris now! And quality is mostly poor; I'm sure there are some good restaurants, but they are few and far between. I'm told that prices have quadrupled in recent years, while quality has dropped (classic supply and demand in a surging economy). In any event the current situation in Dublin is somewhat surprising and even shocking; I never found a meal that I enjoyed much less considered reasonable value. Easier to do that in such gastronomic capitals as Frankfurt.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
I believe these two are two star Michelin

http://www.restaurantpatrickguilbaud.ie/

http://www.thorntonsrestaurant.com/

A place we have not been but that gets good press is: http://www.mermaid.ie/

Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud is adjacent to my favorite 5-star hotel in Dublin, the Merrion. Nice combo! Just ask regular Piers Brosnan.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 6:33 pm

dublin restaurant recs

Rolly's is an extraordinarily pleasant bistro with excellent food and service.

The secondary restaurant at the Fitzgerald Hotel, on Stephen's Green, is also outstanding.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by 206013671
I'm headed to Dublin in a few months and would love any suggestions anybody has for restaurants. Looking for something with great food, yet great character too.

Thanks!

Todd
Amazing Places I've enjoyed:
Cuban Food: Bella Cuba www.bella-cuba.com
French Food: Roly's Bistro www.rolysbistro.ie

Both are in in Ballsbridge and are wonderful.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 6:21 am

Programs: *G and whatever else I can match to....
I recently had very nice meals at Eden and Peploe's on the Green.

In general, I found that dining was best at the low end (fish and chips, potato and leek soup with brown bread) and the high end (see above), while the middle range (including pub food) was poor value for money.

- Michael
Old Mar 28, 2005, 7:41 am

Are these places expensive to eat? We will be in Dublin at the at the beginning of June. I would like to find a place that has simple food, but at a decent price. We would be happy with fish and chips. Are there any "hidden" hole in the wall type places that we might want to check out? We are also heading south so any tips down towards Dingle are also welcome!
Julie
Old Mar 29, 2005, 7:47 pm

We were in Dublin two summers ago for our daughter's wedding. We ate at three restaurants we can highly recommend. The 1st is "The Bistro", continental cuisine, 4/5 Castlemarket, Dublin 2, behind the Fitzwilliam Hotel, off Grafton Street (upscale casual dress, mid-price range). The 2nd is "Mao" Cafe & Bar, Chatham Row, also behind the Fitzwilliam and off Grafton Street (also upscale casual dress, mid-price range). The 3rd is "Eden", in Temple Bar (a bit more upscale casual, expensive). Enjoy Dublin... and have a Guiness for us!

Sandy
Old Mar 29, 2005, 10:08 pm

dingle

Originally Posted by Gajules
Are these places expensive to eat? We will be in Dublin at the at the beginning of June. I would like to find a place that has simple food, but at a decent price. We would be happy with fish and chips. Are there any "hidden" hole in the wall type places that we might want to check out? We are also heading south so any tips down towards Dingle are also welcome!
Julie
Adams Restaurant/Bar is terrific in Dingle. Try to get one of the three tables at the front window. Especially if it is sunny, try to sit in the bar.
Great pub food - meaning, good prices, but terrific food.

Soups in Ireland are inexpensive but delicious. I mean really delicious. Soup Nazi on Seinfeld kind of delicious.

Cuban and French I mention in Dublin are pretty expensive. Ballsbridge is the embassy district.

As well, be prepared for Euro to Dollar sticker shock with the exchange being what it is.

T
Old Mar 30, 2005, 3:22 am

Programs: IB, KL and LH
Some 3 or 4 years ago I thoroughly enjoyed dinner at Bruno's in the Temple Bar area.

The fish was very good but the chocolate and hazelnut mousse was memorable!!!!
Old Apr 1, 2005, 12:27 pm
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
check out www.adlib.ie for some lesser-known restaurant reviews ^

John P
Old Apr 2, 2005, 12:36 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Gajules
Are these places expensive to eat? We will be in Dublin at the at the beginning of June. I would like to find a place that has simple food, but at a decent price. We would be happy with fish and chips.
The better restaurants are expensive by any measure (compared to either western europe or US). I had a quite good paella at a spanish restaurant in Temple Bar but it cost 50 Euros for one person (and that was just a glass of house wine, not a bottle) -- it would be half that price in Madrid. There are lots of fast food type restaurants scattered around Dublin, surprisingly many Indian places, where you can eat for 5-10 Euros. Much more expensive than Dublin of 10 years ago, and more expensive than London for that matter. The only bargain in Dublin is the public bus from the airport, everything else is over-priced now. I suppose the prolonged economic and real estate boom there has made price no object in local minds.
Old May 22, 2006, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Just wanted to bump this as we'll be in Dublin this coming weekend and wanted to see if there were any other new places to check-out. I like the idea of this Eden place. Sounds like something to try. We're looking for moderately-priced places. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.