Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Any good buys in London for yanks for anything?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any good buys in London for yanks for anything?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2005, 4:25 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Gold, easyJet Flight Club, Global Entry
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
In general, US chocolates have fillers that help the chocolate remain firm through a broad range of temperatures. UK and European chocolates do not have the same climate storage issues as in the States, thus do not add such fillers. Therefore, the same brand of chocolate - in general - is vastly superior in Europe/UK. IMO.

I recently bought Malteasers, a personal fave, in Hong Kong. They had been made in Australia. They were disgusting. I threw away the boxes, and waited til my next UK trip for the good ones.
Aahh...mystery solved. I'm in Boston early March so if any of you want some genuine merchandise, I'll be dressed a giant Dairy Milk bar!! As for the Maltersers being 'disgusting' - well it made me laugh - such emotion expressed over chocolate.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 10:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by mark_jones13
I bought my Cartier watch from the store on Sloane Street, no discount at all. A friend of mine bought a Breitling in New York and wasn't too happy to find out it was cheaper in the international watch room at Harrods. A Jacob would obviously be a lot cheaper in NY.

I wasn't really talking about watches anyway, I was refering to clothing, shoes, handbags, luggage, leathergoods.

I wanted to expel the myth that all designer goods are cheaper in New York. The truth is, only less desireable designer brands are cheaper in New York such as Donna Karen, Calvin Klein. (They're cheaper because they're American).
Old Jan 25, 2005, 2:02 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by WillTravel
I've been told that UK Cadbury chocolate is qualitatively different than US Cadbury chocolate.
The UK is about the only country in the world where vegetable fat is allowed to constitute a significant amount of the fat used for chocolate production. Although this doesn't sound very appetising, and master chocolatiers, even in the UK itself, would turn up their noses at it, it does account for the fairly unique taste of UK chocolate (so Cadbury's, and UK-produced Terry's and ex-Rowntree - now Nestl - not that I would touch anything that company produces, but that's a different story...)

So you tend not to find UK-style chocolate anywhere else. Which is a shame, as I do rather like the taste. Particularly those new Flake Pralines...
Old Jan 25, 2005, 6:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by AuAAdvantage
We're back from London and can definitely state that there are indeed no good buys in London for Yanks. We went to Harrod's and even with their big sale where some stuff was 50% off, and you got an additional 10% off if you charged your purchase with an Amex card, there still weren't any decent buys. Even things like movie admission prices (10.5 pounds for evening admission) near Leicester Square were outrageous. $21 USD to see a movie. I don't think so! $40 USD for 2 for just the entree, i.e. not counting drinks, dessert, etc, at our medium grade hotel restaurant is kind of pricey for lemon chicken and rice (Chinese food). Almost $5 USD to travel a few miles on the tube (Zone 2 to Zone 1 on a weekday morning)! Don't get me wrong, I like visiting England, but Yanks better be prepared for "shock and awe" if they go shopping expecting to find bargains!
Just a reminder that London prices are not necessarily the same as UK prices.. I'd be scandalised to pay 10.50 to see a film (my expensive cinema is 5, my local independant, one screen, very cute one is 3 ), and generally, meals are more expensive too...us out of towners can get at shock at how much it costs to eat there too So just get out of London, and see how non-Londoners live
Old Jan 29, 2005, 8:18 am

Programs: UA G-1MM/*G, B6 Mosaicm, DL G, HH S, Bonvoy(...?) Plat, Avis PS, Hertz 5*, Nat ExVIP
Originally Posted by AuAAdvantage
We're back from London and can definitely state that there are indeed no good buys in London for Yanks. We went to Harrod's and even with their big sale where some stuff was 50% off, and you got an additional 10% off if you charged your purchase with an Amex card, there still weren't any decent buys. Even things like movie admission prices (10.5 pounds for evening admission) near Leicester Square were outrageous. $21 USD to see a movie. I don't think so! $40 USD for 2 for just the entree, i.e. not counting drinks, dessert, etc, at our medium grade hotel restaurant is kind of pricey for lemon chicken and rice (Chinese food). Almost $5 USD to travel a few miles on the tube (Zone 2 to Zone 1 on a weekday morning)! Don't get me wrong, I like visiting England, but Yanks better be prepared for "shock and awe" if they go shopping expecting to find bargains!
Yeah... welcome to my life. However, I did hit the sale at Laura Ashley on my last day and totally cleaned up for 75 (minus VAT refund). The joy of the gifts far outweighed the fact that the items, on 70% clearance, were now reasonably priced.

Were any of the places I suggested worth the visit?

Timothy

PremEx! You were in LHR and didn't tell me? I would have bought you a $20 bowl of Pho.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 3:32 pm

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
You can get a decent English breakfast of Egg, Mushrooms, Tomatoes, Beans, Bubble & Toast served all day for less than 5 at Smith's of Springfield, a short walk from the Farringdon Tube stop. http://www.smithsofsmithfield.co.uk There are weekend brunch specials for around 8... Nice place to sit and talk about how much more inexpensive things are back in the US.

I even buy single malt scotch at Costco for about 30% less than the duty free stores at LHR and LGW!
Old Feb 2, 2005, 11:22 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by prspad
You can get a decent English breakfast of Egg, Mushrooms, Tomatoes, Beans, Bubble & Toast served all day for less than 5 at Smith's of Springfield, a short walk from the Farringdon Tube stop. http://www.smithsofsmithfield.co.uk There are weekend brunch specials for around 8... Nice place to sit and talk about how much more inexpensive things are back in the US.
Smiths of Smithfield.

Its an expensive breakfast when you could go somewhere like the chelsea kitchen or some little place in beautiful finchley that hasn't been turned into a trendy coffee bar and get the same thing for about 2.5 quid.

I'll tell you, 10 bucks for an egg, four mushrooms, some baked beans and cabbage with one piece of whole meal toast is not a bargain, considering what that would cost you at Dennys in Dubuque.

However, the "ambience" is nice, the bathrooms are outstanding and the fact they open right after the dfw-lgw flight lands is a good thing.

The only thing I bought in London that I thought was a moderate bargain was some golden cross and ragstone cheeses from Neal's Yard. Neals Yard Dairy does not import their goat cheeses to the left coast, so we're happy to stock up in London.

Other than that, I replaced my old coach day planner with a new filofax which was marked down from 42 to 21 GBP. That was a bargain.

lala
Old Feb 3, 2005, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Last time I looked, top-price tickets to West End shows were cheaper than Broadway. And the theatres are better as well.

And if you go to the new TKTS booth at Canary Wharf (DLR platform 4) you can get yourself half-price top-price tickets WITHOUT having to queue for more than a minute!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.