Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Hotel suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2003, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

London Hotel suggestions

Any ideas on where to stay for a two night stop in London. We have two teenage daughters and will want to see all we can before leaving for Cornwall. We do have 4 days in London on the return trip and have a Hilton in Kensington for then.

We want a nice area by a good tube station
and a hotel that possibly has large enough "family rooms" or is reasonable enough to get two rooms.

The website pictures for these hotels are always made to look nice. Hopefully some of you have stayed at some and have good recommendations. Thanks!
Old Jun 9, 2003, 6:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I tend to use the Thistle group in London. Preferably the Victoria, because it is over Victoria station (though I've never found noise a problem) so very close to the underground. Rooms can be on the small size, although very variable (some are huge!), so you take pot luck! An ok area, but not fantastic, so maybe the two Kensingtons would be better - bit further from tube, but the more southerly one (always get them mixed up) is very nice. And there is a summer sale on at the moment.

You can also get miles for staying with them for some airlines - it's on the website.

[This message has been edited by Jenbel (edited 06-09-2003).]
Old Jun 9, 2003, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unlike the rest of the world, I find Kensington to be in the middle of no where. It is 20c suburban London, and a 20-30min trip to the Older, interesting part of the city. Look for hotels in Soho(almost none), Covent Garden, or Bloomsbury.

If only 2 days, take cabs from one thing of interest to another. Do not waste time slogging to and from the tube, unless the traffic is at a standstill.

Walk a lot.

If 2+4 days, apply the same formula.

Do not bother allocating more than 30 min for Herrod's. Just go the food court, look, and leave.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 8:12 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
You say your staying at the Hilton. Does this mean you are a member of HiltonHHonors? If so you might try looking at the Hilton area here. There is extensive reviews of most of the Hilton properties in London. Have a great trip.

If you are not a member of Hilton Honors, let me know and I can get you signed up and I will get a referal bonus for it. If not just go to www.hiltonhhonrs.com .
Old Jun 9, 2003, 6:23 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The Morgan Hotel is right next to the British Museum, and offers both regular rooms, and some (three or four) Fairly large apartments with one bedroom, living room with a bed or two in it, kitchen, and full bath. Breakfast is included, and the rates are fairly good.

There are not many places in london for three or more adults in one room, so book early if you can.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 4:25 am

I've always enjoyed staying in the Gloucester Rd. area. The tube stop is a block away from two very nice hotels.. the Millenium and Bailey's. And two lines run through that station making getting around very easy. I'm not sure about rooms for families. The neighborhood is full of restaurants and shope - within walking distance to the museums on Cromwell Rd.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 10:11 am

Programs: DL Gold
I just stayed in the Thistle Marble Arch. A great hotel, reasonable pricing, and it was right next to the Marble Arch tube station. It's right on Oxford Street, by all the good shopping stores, and it's really close to Picadilly Circus. A short walk down Oxford, you'll find Bond Street station and then Oxford Circus if you don't want to change lines from the Marble Arch - central line. It's also across the street from Hyde Park.

We will definitely be repeat stayers - this was a great location for central London sightseeing!
Old Jun 13, 2003, 4:19 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Try The Berners Hotel which is on Berner's Street just off Oxford Street.

It is two minutes walk from Tottenham Court road and Oxford Circus tubes stations and obviously very handy for Soho, shopping and theatre land.

I stay here on business quite often and you can get some good deals.
Old Jun 13, 2003, 7:51 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jjohns:
Any ideas on where to stay for a two night stop in London. We have two teenage daughters... We want a nice area by a good tube station and a hotel that possibly has large enough "family rooms" </font>
First I'm presuming you have no status with a major chain. This is good and bad. Good as it will not limit your choice to a hotel where you earn points. Bad that you cannot use status to talk yourself into a better/larger room at your chain of choice.

With your two teenagers you're either going to want a large room with two American-size double or queen beds or two rooms. If you're going in the summer the cost of two rooms can be prohibitive. May I recommend the following: My chain of choice in the UK is Marriott. I have better status with Hilton, but most Marriotts in the UK offer large North American-style rooms with two double beds. Not the best for getting that British experience, but very comfortable and great locations in London. Check the Marriott forum under FlyerTalk Miles for all sorts of info. Pour yourself a drink, search for London and settle down for lots of reading. The Hilton property that best suits your requirements is the Metropole near Paddington station. Not the best for touristy location, but they do have family rooms. You are best to contact the hotel directly to reserve them. Again check the Hilton forum in FT Miles for tons of tips. Search for London or Metropole or both.

If you need more details about specific hotels feel free to contact me via email. I'm one of several FlyerTalkers who has researched travelling in the UK with family to death. Others contribute regularly to the forums I mentioned. Good luck!
Old Jun 17, 2003, 1:45 am

My favorite is the Westbury in Mayfair, located on Conduit St., between Bond and Regent streets. Easy walking distance to Piccadilly Circus, Oxford Street, and Hyde Park. Oxford Circus and Green Park stations are close by.

A small, quiet hotel, with very comfortable rooms and an excellent breakfast. I believe they are now affiliated with SRS hotels.
Old Jun 21, 2003, 8:25 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
I recommend the HI Kensington-Forum (see pictures below or read a report here. The HI Kensington-Forum is my favourite considering price-performance). The price is often around 60GBP, so you will have to book two rooms ( www.6c.com ). The next tube station is less than 5min away.

------------------
Pictures from hotel stays
Basic Hotel stays/nights/points calculator
Short overview: KLM FD, LH M&M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.