Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gatwick to Tamworth

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2002, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Gatwick to Tamworth

Trying to figure out how to buy train tickets from Gatwick airport (tube) to Tamworth. Which train station goes to Tamworth? Prices?

I can't figure out these train web pages. Too many things I don't know about UK.
TIA
Old Jul 29, 2002, 3:02 am

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
Use www.railtrack.co.uk Timetable option to find the routing options .. you should be able to get a ticket via www.thetrainline.com but this site seems to have a few problems right now. Prices seem to range from 41GBP to 183GBP.

In general terms the UK rail network now uses the same yield management as airlines .. thus if you know the time and date of travel the earlier you book the cheaper it is.

Is there not a flight direct to Birmingham International?
Old Jul 29, 2002, 4:32 am

Programs: BA
Gatwick to Tamworth

Take the Gatwick Express train (no tube at Gatwick) into London Victoria station. Trains every 15 minutes. Take the Victoria Line tube (or a cab if you have heavy luggage you can't manage easily) across central London from Victoria station to Euston station. Then take the train from there to Tamworth.

Direct trains to Tamworth are about every 2 hours. For example, on weekdays during daytime they leave Euston at 09.30, 11.25, 13.25, 15.30. Times are different at weekends. In between times there are some connections available too, but these can lead to long waits en route. As suggested, check on www.railtrack.co.uk . Click on the orange "Timetables" and put in the journey London to Tamworth. Pay attention to the "numer of changes" column. If you are travelling at a weekend the service is poorer and at present is sometimes disorganised/replaced partly by buses as this railway is being heavily rebuilt. The website is good for giving precise details about this for a gven date.

I can understand your confusion if you have entered "Gatwick to Tamworth" because the website, in the spirit of precise egalitarianism in the new world of privatised railways in Britain, shows a whole range of bizarre one-off routings that I would never recommend to a first-timer. The route I have given is the easiest to follow, and you can start it at any time of the day.

You will be able to buy a ticket at Gatick Airport station ticket office right through to Tamworth. BritRail tickets are only sold overseas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.