Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions for hotel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2001, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
Suggestions for hotel

Looking for any suggestions for a hotel in London in March. I was hoping for something nice under $150us a night if that is possible.

Thanks
Old Oct 22, 2001, 11:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Look at http://www.travelinn.co.uk

I booked my dad and sister there earlier this year for a few nights (at the Tower Bridge property) and they were pretty happy with it. There was a resuarant on site and east access to the Tube. They also have a property over by the aquarium, across the Thames from Parliament, but it was fully booked. They paid about $100 a night and would go back.
Old Oct 23, 2001, 7:28 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chichi:
Looking for any suggestions for a hotel in London in March. I was hoping for something nice under $150us a night if that is possible.

Thanks
</font>
We loved the Swallow International in the South Kensington area. As I recall our rate was about $168 a night during high season there. It is located in a great part of town, with tube stops convenient either direction you turn. Also lots of restaurants nearby as well as two grocery/chemist stores near. Have fun. Smallworld

Old Oct 23, 2001, 8:44 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
I, too, have heard that Travel Inns are very good but have not stayed at any (they have always been full when I checked). The place where I typically stay is the Blandford Hotel, which is one of three properties owned and operated by Capricorn Hotels:

http://www.capricornhotels.co.uk

I have stayed at the Blandford several times over the past few years, and friends have stayed there as well. Each of us would go back. Our rooms were basic but comfortable and clean, plus the breakfast was very good and the staff quite friendly and helpful. Their website now offers online booking; I just checked availability for dates in March and found rates ranging from £50 to £85 (approx. US$72-122) per night across their three properties (Oliver Plaza, Blandford and Byron hotels).
Old Oct 26, 2001, 1:18 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by smallworld:
Originally posted by chichi:

Thanks
</font>
We loved the Swallow International in the South Kensington area. As I recall our rate was about $168 a night during high season there. It is located in a great part of town, with tube stops convenient either direction you turn. Also lots of restaurants nearby as well as two grocery/chemist stores near. Have fun. Smallworld

Smallworld,

Is that the 27 story hotel right near the Gloucester Arcade? If so, it's now the Holiday Inn-South Kennsington.

If it is, I'll echo what you said--I just got back yesterday, and it's a really nice hotel (they are doing some remodeling, but it's not a problem).

Nice friendly staff, the concierge (sp?) got me what looked to be the last available ticket for the revival of "My Fair Lady", and it's a little more than a block from the Gloucester Road tube station.

take care,
Scott

Old Oct 27, 2001, 7:07 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Scott Stevenson:
Smallworld,

Is that the 27 story hotel right near the Gloucester Arcade? If so, it's now the Holiday Inn-South Kennsington.

If it is, I'll echo what you said--I just got back yesterday, and it's a really nice hotel (they are doing some remodeling, but it's not a problem).

Nice friendly staff, the concierge (sp?) got me what looked to be the last available ticket for the revival of "My Fair Lady", and it's a little more than a block from the Gloucester Road tube station.

take care,
Scott

</font>
Scott: Gee. I don't remember it being 27 stories high. Hmmmm. It was about that location tho. It was right across from a grocery store I remember that. I will check it out. I think my husband said he told someone to get reservations there. I will post back. It has been about 18 months since we were there. Smallworld
Old Nov 3, 2001, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
Thanks for all the great information. It helps alot.
Old Nov 4, 2001, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bloomsbury is very centrally located, and now now fashionable. It is full of small decent hotels that are about 100bp.

I prefer Bloomsbury to Kensington, etc.
Old Nov 4, 2001, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is the greatest site I know of for hotels, air, entertainment etc in London, Great Britian or Europe. Nice prices, descriptions, other info etc..... www.lastminute.com

MisterNice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.