Wiki Posts
Search

12 hours for holiday shopping in London

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2001, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lapsed elite statuses galore
12 hours for holiday shopping in London

Hoping to do a mileage run in early December to London, probably LHR, and it looks like I'll have up to 12 hours to get some Christmas shopping done (gifts from the UK being delightfully novel here in Hawaii). Asked about opportunities at LHR itself on the Airports board, and the reply was pretty encouraging--almost enough to make me think I'd never have to leave Terminal 3 to accomplish this holiday mission.

So, the question is...with an afternoon or so to spare, where should I go to bag the holiday goodies for friends and loved ones? Stay at LHR? Venture into the city? Grab a cab or bus to...where?

Any and all suggestions are highly appreciated!

Aloha.
Old Aug 14, 2001, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would go into London for trinkets. 12 hrs is plenty of time to get in and out of downtown. At least 7-8 hrs. in center city. Although the xpress is faster, it dumps you in shopping no where. Cab from there to Tourist Central.

I think I would prefer to ride the Piccadilly line (about 45-60min) to Leicester square. Pack an extra suitcase for all the stuff you can buy.

I toesn't matter which direction you go from Leicester Square, there are tourist speciality shops everywhere. Hawaii could learn a thing or two about merchandising from London.

------------------
regards

jer
Old Aug 14, 2001, 9:59 am

Lokahi,

it's terminal 4 at LHR that has a nice shopping alley.

Picadilly line would be the right tube, however, on some Sundays they have big delays; see BA's homepage for more information.
Old Aug 16, 2001, 1:30 pm

Programs: BD / BA / AF
Terminal 3 has good shopping as well.

Best shopping areas are around Oxford Street/Tottenham Court Road/Covent Garden area (moderate); Bond Street/Green Park (expensive); and Kensington/Knightsbridge (expensive).

Given Heathrow location, I'd head towards Knightsbridge Station (Piccidilly line) and hit Harvey Nichols and Harrods.

If you have time, grab a cab over to Selfridges. Liberty's is also worth a visit, although you can pick up most of their signature merchandise at Heathrow.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Aug 17, 2001, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I never pass through London without stopping at Hamleys toy store on Regent Street -- and Fortnum & Mason on Piccadilly. Tube to Oxford Circus, Piccadilly Circus or Green Park puts you in the area. I could fill a suitcase from those two stops alone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.