Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Edinburgh information

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2008, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Yeah, Edinburgh is bad for accommodation and atriocious in August.

There's an ugly but useful Marriott not far from the airport, if that helps. You might also consider hotels or B&Bs in pretty South Queensferry, which is near the Forth Rail Bridge, not far from the airport, handy for the road network to the rest of Scotland and has a train station which is about 6 minutes journey on one of the commuter lines from the main Edinburgh Waverley station. People don't think to look there so you may get away with a lower price.

Are you staying on a weeknight or over a weekend?
Old Jul 12, 2008, 2:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
The other airport hotel is the Quality Inn - it is usually a lot more reasonable than the Hilton, but again, it's Edinburgh in August. If not there, there's a premier travel inn out at the Forth Road Bridge, although that does make it more difficult to get into Edinburgh. There are also quite a lot of B&Bs along the A8, not far from the airport.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 2:34 am

Programs: BA,BD,VS,ANA
I'd be surprised if you could get anything decent for under £100 in august.
The other hotel near the airport is Norton House which is quite nice, and usually comes in around the £150 mark.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 1P
For what it's worth, I'm having good luck (right now, mid-July) with the Best Western King's Manor. Total bill for 3 nights (Thursday/Friday/Saturday) is £200, split 60/60/80. The room is pretty nice, the TV is flatscreen, the wireless is free, and the furnishings (including bathroom) look completely new. There are a few quirks due to the hotel going uber-green, though. For example, you have to stick your key card in a slot by the door in order to enable the electricity for the room. I expect to lock myself out at least once, and it's hard to leave your electronics charging while you're out. I also am not a fan of low-volume toilets...

It's a ways out from City Center, but the bus ride in takes perhaps 20 minutes, so I don't mind. Buses go by every 10 minutes (maybe less) during the day. The only really big downside is the lack of late-night takeout options. If it's 2 AM and you're hungry and jetlagged, a 15 minute hike to the local Wal-mart can be rather annoying.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 8:39 am

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
We had a fine 3 day weekend in Edinburgh, a bit of rain but mostly fine weather. Stayed at the Sheraton and figured out (after passing the lap dance bars 3 or 4 times) how to get to the Royal Mile without stumbling through all the construction. [Clue: go to the left out of the 2nd floor doorways, not right!]

Wedgwood the Restaurant was outstanding. Lisa Wedgwood (wife of chef Paul) was a delight, the young staff was engaging if not necessarily experienced, and the food was terrific. Haggis, neeps & tatties were delicious, as was the rare pigeon's breast that accompanied it. We enjoyed every dish, and the wine list was refreshingly affordable.

Sunday evening at Stockbridge was also a delight, quite a different style of food but also excellent. [One nice side note: on Sunday evenings you can BYOB without corkage fees]. Big flavors, nicely varied menu, and similarly enthusiastic and engaging young staff. I had a fine piece of lamb, and my wife enjoyed the grilled salmon...and we had a couple of excellent deserts as well.

As first-time Edinburgh visitors, we walked up and down quite a few hills that in hindsight could have been avoided. Nonetheless, an entertaining city and we'll be back. We even enjoyed a pint at the World's End on Monday afternoon, making up for a disappointing walk through Mary King's Close. Thanks to all of you who contributed advice - we'll look forward to a return visit.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 5:34 am

Glad you enjoyed it

(But could people please stop saying how good Wedgwood is? I'd like to be able to get a table without booking 3 weeks in advance )
Old May 10, 2009, 4:17 pm

Just a bump to say I've updated the Edinburgh restaurant list a bit
Old Sep 7, 2009, 4:00 am

bumping for more restaurant updates!
Old Feb 16, 2010, 8:28 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ajamieson
GETTING AROUND

The cheapest and easiest way into the city centre from EDI is on Lothian Buses' Airport 100 shuttle which runs between the terminal and Waverley Bridge every 10 minutes or so all day and takes around 25 minutes, costing £3 single, £5 return. The bus additionally picks up and drops off on Princes Street and Haymarket Terrace and drivers will usually help with directions if required. A taxi journey from EDI to the city centre usually costs £15-£20.
Is the Airport 100 still the way to go to get from EDI to the city centre?

--
Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:26 am

The 35 bus is a slower and much cheaper alternative if you are staying in the Old Town, Grassmarket or Royal Mile

If you aren't staying near the 100 route then after you get off you still might have a substantial walk or taxi ride to your accommodation.

In the past I've bought a £3 day ticket on the 35, got off at the Ingleston Park & Ride, taken the express into town then another bus to my final destination - and I can use the ticket for even more bus rides.

Have a look at the route map on www.lothianbuses.com and work out the best way to your accommodation - if it's down at Leith for example take the 35 to The Gyle, then 22 to Leith
Old Feb 17, 2010, 2:29 am

I love the 35 - but the 100 takes 30-40 mins into the city centre, while getting to Leith on the 35 takes close to 2 hours (but does mean no faffing with bags once you are on, so great if you are jet-lagged).
Old Feb 17, 2010, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Jenbel
I love the 35 - but the 100 takes 30-40 mins into the city centre, while getting to Leith on the 35 takes close to 2 hours (but does mean no faffing with bags once you are on, so great if you are jet-lagged).
Didn't suggest goign to Leith on the 35 - only as far as the Gyle
Old Jul 14, 2011, 1:13 am

Programs: hhonors diamond, spg gold, mileage plus 1K, a nobody with delta skymiles
best transportation option to the Caledonian Hilton

family and i will be in EDI in late Sept, will be staying at the Caledonian Hilton. Is the Airlink bus (outside of a cab) the best option to get to our hotel from the airport?
Old Jul 14, 2011, 3:33 am

Absolutely. I think it will even stop somewhere in the West End, close to the hotel.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 3:39 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
It does, it stops on Shandwick Place, just outside Quicksilver Amusements

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.