Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Edinburgh information

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2004, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Couldn't agree more. Your hotel is very centrally located (which is good) but that also makes it one of the hardest to access by car; it's in the middle of the medieval World Heritage Site. The city authority in Edinburgh is unashamedly anti-car. Although it beggars belief, £25 a night for a guaranteed parking space in the middle of Edinburgh is not all that unreasonable.

There are other nearby car parks available, the NCP in New Street, or another facility at St John's Hill. I'm sorry that I don't have details right now; I deliberately took a different route to work this morning to look at the rates sign on New Street but the opening hours and rates were unclear - not least since it is currently next to a major construction site. I'll have another dig around later for you.

But my feeling is that, even if that parking doesn't get you, the one-way streets, the traffic and the temporary festival-related road closures probably will. The city population rises by an additional 150 per cent in August and driving in the centre is not an enjoyable experience.

You'll have fun, though Enjoy your stay. Will you be in Edinburgh on the night of Sunday 5th for the fireworks concert? One of the best in the world.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 9:11 am
DG

Programs: AA Gold; NWA Silver
Thanks!

Thanks for heads up Ajamieson & Efrem! So much for getting away from Boston traffic for our vacation!

We plan to drive up from Manchester, stay a couple of days, and then drive down again - unfortunately, no way to ditch the car for a couple of days. We will try and find a long-term parking solution - I did check out the NCP parking web site for rates (thanks for going out of your way Ajamieson!) - I wonder at our chances of getting a spot though!

Unfortunately, we won't be around for the fireworks - I've heard awesome things about them. I'm psyched to be around during the festival weekend though! Thanks again!
Old Aug 31, 2004, 10:05 am
Original Poster

I don't think you'll have problems finding a space to park, but I'm afraid the rates are going to be pretty steep. It is worth reflecting on the fact that parking charges represent better value than parking fines (which are pursued, even for hire car drivers).

The fireworks are at 9pm on Sunday. Shame you won't be around. I was up on the castle ramparts today to meet the pyrotechnicians in charge of the display and it looks amazing.

To be clear, the International Festival is still on this weekend (as is the Television Festival) but the main Fringe, Film Festival, Jazz Festival and Book Festival have all finished. Most of the festivals are two or three-week events.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 6:21 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Link for airport bus doesnt work - new link
Old Dec 27, 2004, 6:50 am
Original Poster

pasted from #1

ACCOMMODATION
If you're using Priceline, select only the City Centre area. Try and aim for a good value 4-star bid rather than a dirt cheap 3-star bid. There are some fairly poor 2/3-star chain hotels located on the fringes of the zone which really stretch the concept of 'central' and offer disappointing accommodation in inconvenient locations; these are far more likely to accept your low bid.
Chain hotels
Edinburgh has all the usual major chains, but most of city centre establishments are fairly unremarkable despite their high prices. Service and ambience at the main Hilton Caledonian are often said to be poor, while the Sheraton Grand has some second-rate rooms at top-rate tariffs. Even the historic Balmoral Hotel on Princes Street is less impressive than one might think from the exterior. If you must stay at one of the chains, make sure the rate is competitive and that you get the full benefit of your hotel chain status.
Sheraton Grand Hotel, Festival Square (Lothian Road)
Excellent location opposite the castle but the perfectly adequate building is modern, charmless and surrounded by office blocks. The only real reason to stay here is to use the spa which Sheraton has spent millions of pounds converting into one of Europe's best spas. It is stunning and well worth an appointment...but you can still visit without being a guest.
Hilton Caledonian, Princes St, corner Lothian Rd/Shandwick Pl
One of the city's most famous and historic buildings, the old turn-of-the-century Caledonian Hotel was taken over by Hilton but there has been little improvement in the service or the standard of the rooms. If you can get a room looking across the street to the castle, all to the good. The restaurant downstairs is good quality and sometimes boasts good offers on food and drink (often with Hhonors Points...) for residents and non-residents. Sean Connery always stays here. But then, he can afford the good rooms
Hilton Edinburgh Airport
This is convenient and comfortable but, with a reliable bus service into the city centre and an early morning taxi journey costing about £15 and taking about 20 minutes, there is really no need to stay here unless you are stuck.
Hilton Grosvenor Street
Located in the west end of the city, close to Haymarket rail station, this is often the cheaper choice for those who want HHonors Points but can't stretch to the Caledonian. Split across two sides of the same street, it gets mixed reviews.
The Balmoral Hotel, 1 Princes Street
The capital's most prestigious address and one of the grandest places to stay. The building is a major city landmark, but the interior decor is more belle epoque than modern luxury - odd, since the hotel got a major refit a couple of years ago. Jennifer Lopez recently booked out the top floor suites for a long weekend.
Thistle Hotel, 107 Leith Street
Centrally located but part of an ugly shopping complex which should never have been built. Sometimes offers good rates but generally avoidable.
Ramada Jarvis, Princes Street
Well located, with excellent views from the south-facing rooms over the Castle and the Old Town and often bargain rates, but this hideous property is otherwise best to avoid.
Independent hotels
Edinburgh boasts some excellent independent or 'boutique' hotels which are well worth a look and offer much better value for a short-stay experience than almost all of the major chains.
Prestonfield House, Priestfield Road, EH16 5UT
Among the best luxury hotels in Britain, this historic country house a mile or so from the city centre has recently been bought by the legendary Edinburgh restauranter, James Thomson. The unpublished prices are high, but for an indulgent all-in treat you couldn't do much better than this unique 17th century property, which boasts its own resident peacocks.
Rick's Hotel 55A Frederick Street
Stylish and comfortable, the £110 rooms are located above a trendy bar.
The Glasshouse, 2 Greenside Place
A brand new designer hotel, part of a new entertainment and leisure complex, with a stunning roof terrace at the back that overlooks Calton Hill.
Point Hotel, 34 Bread Street
Stylish and extremely good value, centrally located but away from many of the other hotels, the toop floors have great views.
The Scotsman Hotel, North Bridge
My former office! The former baronial headquarters of The Scotsman newspaper were sold in 1999 to make way for this luxury hotel whose rooms are themed to match the building's printing history. The views and location are among the best in the city, and Justin Timberlake booked out the Editor's Suite (which used to be the inky, dirty, old compositors' room for the Evening News) when he came to Edinburgh for the MTV awards. Rooms start at £72 at weekends but prices are usually much higher.
Holyrood Aparthotel, Holyrood Road
Tucked away in a side-street off Holyrood Road, this is an ideal choice for those travelling with families or groups who want a little more space or a self-catering option. It is easily accessible by road and fairy central, just behind the lower end of the Royal Mile.
Malmaison, 1 Tower Place, Leith, EH6 7DB
Enjoying a fantastic waterside location down in the Port of Leith, the trendy enclave of bars and restaurants located to the north-east of the city centre, the former Seamen's Mission is popular with celebs and has a great downstairs bar.
Smaller chains/budget chains
Jury's Inn, 43 Jeffrey Street
Part of a small Irish chain, unremarkable but good value 3 star hotel almost right next door to where I live. It is very well located behind the Royal Mile, and has good views across to Calton Hill and the New Town. There are often some very good rates here and the service is pretty good.
Travelodge, St Mary's Street
A large no-frill chain hotel with functional, comfortable rooms at reasonable rates. Very handy for the Royal Mile.
Travel Inn, Morrison Link
Part of a large no-frills chain offering good value rooms in the west end of the city
Bed and Breakfast
For a comfortable, quiet and friendly stay in the capital you could do worse than to choose a B&B. There are bucketloads, listed by location and category on the excellent VisitScotland website, but here I've chosen some of the classier, upscale ones. Personally, I would recommend one of Edinburgh's fine Georgian homes in the New Town, the beautiful 18th century planned area to the immediate north of Princes Street.
16 Lynedoch Place, EH3 7PY
High class B&B with friendly welcome from owners who can spare time for your travel advice. The house is delightful but the attic-style rooms on the very top floor may offer less value.
17 Abercromby Place, EH3 6LB
Fairly pricey as B&Bs go, but this stunning historic building - the former home of William Playfair, Edinburgh's famous architect of Georgian times, - is furnished throughout with antiques and offers among the most stunning rooms to be found in the capital.
41 Heriot Row
A charmingly eccentric B&B run by a travel writer and located in one of Britain's most sought-after addresses.
50 India Street, EH3 6HD
Another top-end B&B, in the west end of the New Town.

LINKS

OTHER THREADS
FT 'do' in EDI, May 2003
FT meet for festival fireworks party

Last edited by ajamieson; Dec 27, 2004 at 12:00 pm
Old Feb 16, 2006, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA, DL, *wd, IC
ajamieson, thanks so much for the very helpful information. Even though it's been a while since this thread had an update, I'd guess most of the info still applies?

Mr SB and I are just starting to plan our first trip to Scotland -- we hope to include Edinburgh and the Highlands, and as much as we can reasonably see in 10 days or so. So much to choose from, it's hard to know where to begin!
Old Feb 19, 2006, 4:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
A few changes that I can see - e.g. the Hilton Grosvener is no longer a Hilton. The IC George (which inexplicably has been left off the good hotel list ) is now no longer an IC, leaving the most central PC property a HIEX I would think the Macdonald Holyrood hotel deserves a mention, even if you may be kept awake at night by carousing journalists or politicians (well, probably not ). And it's a safe bet most of the historical information remains unchanged.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 8:48 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
41 Heriot row is no longer a B&B. The owners now have a B&B at 2 Cambridge Street

Last edited by TIMP; Feb 23, 2006 at 8:48 pm Reason: cause I have a numbers problem
Old Apr 10, 2006, 11:06 am

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space have been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 22, 2008 at 10:51 am
Old May 10, 2006, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA; AC; HHonors; SPG; BA
Smile The Howard and the Museum of Childhood

I had a very enjoyable stay at The Howard at the end of February this year. The exceptional service started a month before arrival, when I received an email from the hotel asking whether we had any special requests for travel arrangements. I did request that we needed to be on the ground floor as she walks with a cane and this was taken care of. We stayed in a twin room named the Hanover. I requested and was given a tour of the other grades of rooms. The Howard's website does not do their rooms justice.

The room was spacious with a LCD television with free internet access. There were Penhaligion toiletries and Frette bathrobes and towels. The bathtub and shower were separate.

One afternoon we had tea in the lounge. The tea was loose leaf and we each had a homemade shortbread cookie. There were a number of Single Malt whiskies available in the lounge. There was however one surprising mistake. Springbank was listed as a Highland malt. I pointed out that Springbank is actually the top single malt of Campbelltown in Southwest Scotland. Within an hour, the list of whiskies was corrected.

The Howard is located on a quiet street in the New Town of Edinburgh and is within easy walking distance of Princes Street. Nearby are a number of galleries as well as restaurants. We tried the Alba D'Oro fish and chip shop about a block away which is generally regarded as having the best fish and chips in the city. The owner of the Alba D'Oro will fry virtually anything and in the past has deep fried crocodile.

The options for Breakfast were excellent. I had a fresh fruit plate and a full scottish breakfast. The fresh fruit plate included kiwi fruit and pineapple.

The cost for this level of service was 150 per night with breakfast inclusive of VAT which is remarkably good value when compared to other Edinburgh hotels.

Other hotels in this group include Channings, The Bonham and The Edinburgh Residence.

Another place to visit is the Museum of Childhood in Edinburgh. The only problem is that one sees one's toys from childhood.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 9:06 am

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
In things to do - one of my favourites is the Water of Leith between Roseburn and the Botanic Gardens - totally free walk through a deep wooded gorge with weirs, herons, huge viaducts and olde worlde buildings popping out.

Also, I love Corstorphine Hill (behind the zoo - woods, radio masts and the occasional stunning vista) and the Pentlands - deserted, barren hills. Arthur's seat has been mentioned, but Holyrood Park as a whole is a stunning oasis of wilderness in the middle of the city and it doesn't necessarily involve climbing high cliffs.

Plaisir de Chocolat has unfortunately ceased trading.

I would mention Cadenhead's Whisky shop and Royal Mile Whiskies - both on the Royal Mile - for some unusual whiskies at reasonable prices.

I would also mention the fab deal you get with Lothian Buses day tickets - now £2.50 for a day pass but it means you can hop on and off buses at will, even just to get from one end of Princes Street to the other.

For trips outside Edinburgh, I adore St Abbs Head. Also, the Maid of the Forth does runs to Inchcolm (an island with a ruined abbey in the Firth of Forth), setting out from South Queensferry. And if going to St Andrews, the Tentsmuir Forest is a wonderful deviation, with old woods and coastline with seals.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 9:10 am
Original Poster

These are great suggestions, thanks.

To my considerable shame, I have not kept this thread as up-to-date as I has wished. It is well overdue for a rewrite. Next time I get a quiet night shift...
Old Sep 17, 2007, 10:44 am
mti

For hotels I've found the Travelodge and Ramada Jarvis are good on tight budgets, and for a nicer experience the Sheraton Grand on Festival Square has given me many lovely short breaks; I've also had my car parking for free there the last two times.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 5:02 pm

Programs: BA silver, CO
I'm living in Edinburgh right now and I'm more than happy to answer any questions people may have, except for hotel questions. I really don't know much about the hotels.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
We just returned from a wonderful 3 week trip: the first week we rented a house in Crathie (about 500 yards from the entrance to Balmoral Castle)....probably one of the most delightful weeks I have spent on holiday. All 6 of us agreed....we could have stayed longer. Won't comment more here, since this is an Edinburgh thread.

Second week, Edinburgh! We rented an apartment on the Royal Mile, about 50 yards south of John Knox House (corner Cannongate and Cranston/Jeffrey). Super location, but the singing and dancing and loving and arguing of those coming home from pubs at 2 a.m. was irritating a few nights. One night, we got to listen to about 40 minutes of Jingle Bells, We Wish You a Merry Christmas, Jingle Bells, Deck the Halls, Jingle Bells .... and more Jingle Bells! Ahhh....the mixture of youth and alcohol.

I won't go into a listing of the sights, since they have been adequately covered above. But here is a listing of restaurants we visited:

We ate wonderfully -- super new restaurant called Wedgewood (on Cannongate); open less than 3 months, and one of the best meals ever--they will be quite sucessful! We quite enjoyed Monteith's (also newly opened; great food, but seems to cater to a younger crowd [we are 40s-50s]) and Jackson (both on Royal Mile).

We have a family tradition...on the last night of a trip, we book a dinner which we hope to be quite memorable. This trip, we made reservations at the chef's table in the kitchen at Abstract (Castle Terrance). Since the table is reserved for the whole night, we went early for drinks....and spent about 5 hours there. Tremendous food. Great entertainment in the kitchen--despite several mistakes which were not really staff's fault. But the prices were, in typical UK fashion, expensive, made more so by the dismal exchange rate. Dinner was £60/$125 per person; a flight of French wine to match each of the 7 courses was £50/$110 per person. With pre-drinner wine and scotch, coffee, etc, we ended up paying about £300/$625 per couple.

Some flew home the next day, yet 3 of us spent another week in London. But that's for a different thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.