Wiki Posts
Search

Dublin: Car rental south of Liffey?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2024, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Dublin: Car rental south of Liffey?

Our hotel will be in Ballsbridge, and we’d like to rent a car to take a drive to Glendalough, possibly with stops in Bray, Avoca, and Powerscourt.
Is there any way to avoid having to travel up to DUB, then drive through Dublin traffic? We’re aware that several companies offer bus tours to Glendalough, but we’d like the freedom to go on our own.
Old May 12, 2024, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Basie007
Our hotel will be in Ballsbridge, and we’d like to rent a car to take a drive to Glendalough, possibly with stops in Bray, Avoca, and Powerscourt.
Is there any way to avoid having to travel up to DUB, then drive through Dublin traffic? We’re aware that several companies offer bus tours to Glendalough, but we’d like the freedom to go on our own.
Sure is, this location is probably within walking distance or a 10 euro cab ride of your hotel.

https://www.hertz.ie/rentacar/misc/i...ublin_City.jsp

I rented from their other location in south Dublin, on Circular Road, years ago with no issues. Returning to DUB is an option also if you don't want to return it in the city center. If you are declining the insurance coverage because your credit card covers you, make sure you call your credit card company and get a letter confirming coverage in Ireland,and print it out and take it with you. They will require that in order to decline the coverage. I saw a number of people at the counter who tried to decline the coverage but were unsuccessful because they didn't have the letter.
Old May 12, 2024, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks both for your reply about a rental agency just a short distance from our hotel, which is quite close to Aviva Stadium, and also for your advice regarding insurance- I would never have thought of that, but now we’ll have a few weeks during which I can obtain a letter regarding coverage.
Old May 13, 2024, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Basie007
Many thanks both for your reply about a rental agency just a short distance from our hotel, which is quite close to Aviva Stadium, and also for your advice regarding insurance- I would never have thought of that, but now we’ll have a few weeks during which I can obtain a letter regarding coverage.
It's entirely possible your credit card does not cover you in Ireland- many companies exempt Ireland, Italy and a couple of other countries from their coverage. If it does cover Ireland (Chase coverage generally does, for instance), you just call the number on the back of your card, tell them you are traveling to Ireland and need a letter confirming the card covers you for damage to rental cars. They will ask you where you are going, dates you will be there, and your email address- it's a 3 minute call. Probably 10 minutes later you will get a PDF letter in your email, print that out, take it with you, and you are good to go.
Old May 13, 2024, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again for the advice about insurance, since I’ve felt flummoxed by insurance on car rentals while in France. We’ll have plenty of time to get the required letter from my cc company!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.