Wiki Posts
Search

UK Visitor in Transit Visa

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite, EY Silver, VS Silver
UK Visitor in Transit Visa

Hi all. I was hoping to get some guidance before having to call in and pay to get an answer from the Visa phone line. I am an Indian national with a US green card and I am looking at a flight LAX - LHR - BOM with a 10 hour layover at LHR. Not sure if it matters but I'd be arriving on UA and onwards flight is on AI.
I would like to use that time to get out of the airport for a bit if I can so I used the UK Visa website to determine if I need a visa and based on my answers it said I would need a visa and recommended the Visitor in Transit visa.

However, under that it says I may be able to transit without a visa if I meet a few conditions:
You may be eligible to transit without a visa if:
- You arrive and depart by air
- Have a confirmed onward flight that leaves on the day you arrive or before midnight on the day after you arrive
- Have the right documents for your destination (eg a visa for that country)
*I meet all three of these conditions*

It also has a list of additional conditions of which, one must be met. The two below apply to me
One of the following must also apply:
- You’re travelling from (or on part of a reasonable journey from) Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA and have a valid visa for that country
- You have a valid USA permanent residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998
Would love any guidance on whether I would qualify to enter the UK without a visa given the above or if this is just outlining requirements for transiting in the UK without leaving the airport, it is a bit unclear to me. TIA
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:36 pm

My understanding is that you should be fine to enter the UK in this scenario under the TWOV rules. The only issue would be if the border agent does not believe you will take your onward flight, but that shouldn't be a problem if you have the relevant details and no suspicious flags about you.

The good thing is, in the (unlikely) event they say no, you should simply be able to remain airside and connect that way.

This is assuming your booking is all on one ticket. If not, you might have more difficulty convincing UA to let you board in LAX.
DaveS and ss1710 like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite, EY Silver, VS Silver
Thank you! Yeah, I have no issue remaining airside if I have to, it would all be on one ticket. Appreciate the help
Old Mar 29, 2024, 1:52 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+
I would agree with what Ldnn1 said. The UK BF officers are not known for being unreasonable like in some other countries, so I think you will be OK too. Enjoy your brief visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.