Wiki Posts
Search

UK Business class airfare duty could rise - Telegraph

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2024, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M&S Elite+
UK Business class airfare duty could rise - Telegraph

The Telegraph are reporting that the UK government could raise APD on J flights to pay for possible tax cuts:

Jeremy Hunt is considering an increase in business class air fares as part of a series of measures targeting the wealthy to fund a tax cut in this week’s Budget.

One proposal under discussion is increasing air passenger duty for those in business class, potentially raising hundreds of millions of pounds.

Last night, it was not known which cuts and tax rises had been chosen to go forward into Wednesday’s Budget.

Air passenger duty is split into three categories: a reduced level for economy, a standard level for business class and a higher level for private jets.

For those in business class, the charge is £13 for domestic flights, £26 for up to 2,000 miles, £191 for up to 5,500 miles and £200 over that.

Altogether, it raises £3.8 billion a year, so an increase could potentially bring in hundreds of millions more.

But last year, Ryanair said that UK airports were already at a disadvantage because Britain is the only country to have such a tax.

If the Chancellor does go ahead with the increase, it would break a pledge to the airline industry in September not to impose any new taxes to discourage flying.

A leading industry source said: “It’s certainly against the spirit of the promise No 10 made in September not to put up taxes on air travel and has come out of the blue when all the discussion with the Government has been about working together to decarbonise aviation.
This link is paywalled. Disable JavaScript to read.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...hunt-tax-cuts/
email2markt likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 12:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Because it's not already high enough?
MaxFlyer, bafan, Enigma368 and 6 others like this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 12:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I like the irony - raise a tax so that can claim to be doing a tax cut
Old Mar 4, 2024, 12:51 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I like the irony - raise a tax so that can claim to be doing a tax cut
I am sure it makes perfect sense in the twisted minds of politicians…🤮
MaxFlyer, tmac100, SxMan and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 1:06 am

If I were in HM Treasury I would be looking at IAG's profit, targeting the tax on LHR, and bringing transit passengers in to the scope of it. It's difficult to argue that privileging foreign passengers over UK ones on congested national infrastructure which creates noise over central London is good public policy.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by strowger
If I were in HM Treasury I would be looking at IAG's profit, targeting the tax on LHR, and bringing transit passengers in to the scope of it. It's difficult to argue that privileging foreign passengers over UK ones on congested national infrastructure which creates noise over central London is good public policy.
It might impact UK workers though (not that they seem to care, but still)..

Anyway, I wouldn't have minded another tax hike if it meant investing the output in, say, improving NATS or some other bit of the national infrastructure that is crumbling, but funding a tax cut feels exceedingly self-serving.
adrianlondon and SxMan like this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 1:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Even before NATS were made a Public-Private Partnership in 2001 it would return a profit to the Treasury. PPP meant that NATS itself borrowed £735m which it immediately to the government, and repayed the loan over the following twenty years. I'd estimate that it's been over half a century since the UK government gave NATS any money, sadly I can't see it ever happening unless something even worse (in terms of impact on aviation) than Covid happens.
Jimmie76, atcodave and 13901 like this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 1:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Flying is an exceptionally easy target for this sort of thing, unfortunately. Impacts a small percentage of the population, Hunt can badge it as hitting the wealthy and also hitting a polluting industry.

Meanwhile in reality, the amount raised will be chicken feed in the context of funding a tax 'cut' for a direct tax like NI. It's all rumours, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of things like this put up so the Chancellor can grab himself a headline.
BA or bust, bafan, DaveS and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by oceanscape
Doesn't appear to put people off though, does it? I'm looking at some trips this summer and hotel prices are coming in at almost 2x they were last summer - demand is through the roof. There's a lot of people with a lot of spare money in this world.

Whenever I travel in J, it's nearly always a full cabin. When demand is so high, sadly it's all-too-easy to raise tax.
BA or bust likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
It's no more cynical an idea than Seville charging for access to Plaza de Espana or Macron doubling the tourist tax in Paris to help pay for hosting the Olympics. Or any other place that charges a tourist tax such as Venice, Amsterdam or the Canaries.
BA or bust and Silver Fox like this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 4:38 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, BA Pleb
Originally Posted by oceanscape
Given the enduring popularity of the more luxury cabins, it probably isn't high enough.
Increasing APD on business class is the easiest of open goals for a politician. It's a luxury tax on the wealthy- most people can't afford to travel business- AND it can be spun as green.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 4:54 am

Would ex INV flights still be exempted from this?
BA or bust likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 5:09 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by Cw novice
Would ex INV flights still be exempted from this?
INV no APD is based on a different policy position in order to protect rural communities. This policy may well be reviewed but separately from considerations as to the nature and extent of other taxes.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 5:13 am

As an avid exEU flyer, I welcome a further incentive to continue my flying habits. A long weekend somewhere that is not London fulfills my travel needs
BA or bust and 1Aturnleft like this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 5:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum
£200 on a £3000 fare is only 7%. 20% VAT would be much worse so APD feels quite reasonable to me.
BA or bust and fnl111 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.