Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HEX or Lizzie Line on Strike days

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2024, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by averageflyerLHR
Forgive my ignorance, but I’m confused as to why it should be called Crossrail. Have I missed something I shouldn’t have?
Annoyance that a perfectly sensible name was dropped for a more confusing one. It’s a hybrid service and naming it like a tube line doesn’t make sense, plus Crossrail trips off the tongue whereas Elizabeth Line doesn’t. And Lizzie line is beyond cringe, with apologies to the OP.

As for the sycophancy that drove the name change in support a former Mayor’s ambitions for a gong, well that’s Omni territory. 😉
cockpitvisit and KARFA like this.

Last edited by Swanhunter; Mar 23, 2024 at 9:44 pm
Old Mar 30, 2024, 12:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

Markie, Swanhunter and tom tulpe like this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA

Fantastic KARFA . As always FT never fails to head in directions never even considered when a thread is started!🤣
KARFA likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
But then very little of the Underground line from Heathrow to Hammersmith, as contemplated in this thread, is actually underground, so perhaps the Underground network is improperly named also.
:D! likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
For you it is the tube strike that creates the main problem - both HEX and the train service that should be called Crossrail
but it isn't, it is called the Elizabeth line, and people using unofficial/enthusiast names for things because they don't like the proper name are only going to cause confusion to the audience.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by stifle
but it isn't, it is called the Elizabeth line, and people using unofficial/enthusiast names for things because they don't like the proper name are only going to cause confusion to the audience.
indeed and the only time “Crossrail” should be used is in discussion of the history of the line and not as part of its day to day operations and directing people how to use it.

Even some of the most hardened transport nerds on some of the blogs I read have conceded that point so have stopped calling it “Crossrail” for day to day usage.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 3:06 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
TfL doesn't seem to care about naming, as seen when they renamed Bond Street 'Burberry Street' and some tourists actually got confused.

This also happened when National Rail wanted to be clever on Halloween and changed the names of some stations on electronic displays to "scary" words.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone actually say "underground" to refer to the tube except in official announcements such as when they announce a "good service on all LU lines" (although by "good" they actually mean "normal" as certain parts of the service could never be described as "good")
Old Mar 31, 2024, 9:25 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
If the Underground is not on strike it is easy - Piccadily Line to Hammersmith and then the District to Wimbledon. If they are on strike I would recommend the bus as had been shown here. Without prying, you do not state where in Wimbledon you are going - It is quite a big place with Wimbledon Village up the hill or Wimbledon Park?
I have never heard of a branch of the District line that went from Hammersmith to Wimbledon. What you need to do is ride the Picadilly line to Earls Court and transfer there.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 1:53 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I have never heard of a branch of the District line that went from Hammersmith to Wimbledon. What you need to do is ride the Picadilly line to Earls Court and transfer there.
No. You need to go to Earls Court. I was muddling it up with Richmond as you will see I posted on 23rd March.
Markie and Arctic Troll like this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 4:36 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by plunet
The project for many years, pretty much up to the final stages was referred to as Crossrail. Some are cross the project name was dropped, but TfL typically uses Named Lines for its services, and is now continuing the retrofit even to the various Overground lines.
Don’t get me started in the Overground renaming. They won’t catch on, it’ll be Overground to me, or carry on with “the orange line”.

I live on the Jubilee Line and lots of people I know shorten it to “the jubs” just as people still call it “Battersea Power Station station”. People who live in London tend to use tfl naming only as a springboard to more colloquial nicknames, Lizzie line case in point.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Don’t get me started in the Overground renaming. They won’t catch on, it’ll be Overground to me, or carry on with “the orange line”.

I live on the Jubilee Line and lots of people I know shorten it to “the jubs” just as people still call it “Battersea Power Station station”. People who live in London tend to use tfl naming only as a springboard to more colloquial nicknames, Lizzie line case in point.
Just another mayor of London vanity virtue signalling project.
stifle likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Just another mayor of London vanity virtue signalling project.
Yet it was in his election manifesto for the 2021 Mayoral election so has democratic legitimacy.
Arctic Troll likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 6:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I lived on the Jubilee Line for many years (since the days when it terminated at Charing Cross!) and have never, ever heard anyone refer to it as "the jubs"!
Arctic Troll likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 8:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Misco60
I lived on the Jubilee Line for many years (since the days when it terminated at Charing Cross!) and have never, ever heard anyone refer to it as "the jubs"!
Nor me!

In any event, based on arguments advanced earlier, it should really be called the Fleet Line anyway
Swanhunter and Arctic Troll like this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 4:10 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
So blurt91 - what did you do in the end?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.