Wiki Posts
Search

HEX or Lizzie Line on Strike days

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2024, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
HEX or Lizzie Line on Strike days

So I have eventually managed to book a trip to London on a strike day! 8th April arriving 0800. Ultimate destination is Wimbledon. Apologies if this has been answered in other strike threads, but I couldn't find it. Is best option (least crowded/chaotic) to use HEX to Paddington and then cab? Cab all the way from T5 would be pretty expensive and in very high demand at time of the morning I imagine. Appreciate suggestions. Thanks
Old Mar 23, 2024, 2:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
490 bus to Feltham Station, train to Clapham Junction, train to Wimbledon. Shouldn't take much more than on a non strike day.
blurt91 and becks1 like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For you it is the tube strike that creates the main problem - both HEX and the train service that should be called Crossrail are running normally on the 8th. Either of the above and then cab are the only viable options, I’d have a preference for Crossrail to Bond St and a cab from there as Paddington will be a zoo.

South West Trains are also out on the 8 April so the Feltham shuffle is off.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 2:42 am

Bear in mind the Tube strike could be called off, as happened last time. Don't pin your hopes on it, but you may want to retain some flexibility in case more options open up.

If you are looking to use a cab, I would personally try and find a reasonably priced pre-booked one to pick you up directly from T5 rather than go into central London. The journey from town to Wimbledon would be very slow-going even on normal day.
blurt91 and TravellingChris like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your information and suggestions as always.
TravellingChris likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 4:34 am

Programs: BAEC
If you're not in a rush and can handle buses being busy....

Getting the SL7 bus into SW London and a cab from there might be a pragmatic option.
blurt91 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 8:08 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
If the Underground is not on strike it is easy - Piccadily Line to Hammersmith and then the District to Wimbledon. If they are on strike I would recommend the bus as had been shown here. Without prying, you do not state where in Wimbledon you are going - It is quite a big place with Wimbledon Village up the hill or Wimbledon Park?
TravellingChris likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 8:18 am

Programs: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Originally Posted by blurt91
So I have eventually managed to book a trip to London on a strike day! 8th April arriving 0800. Ultimate destination is Wimbledon. Apologies if this has been answered in other strike threads, but I couldn't find it. Is best option (least crowded/chaotic) to use HEX to Paddington and then cab? Cab all the way from T5 would be pretty expensive and in very high demand at time of the morning I imagine. Appreciate suggestions. Thanks
I highly recommend checking the situation when you arrive. The best place to do so is either TFL webpage or an application called Citymapper.
If you prefer busses, here are two options from T5

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
If the Underground is not on strike it is easy - Piccadily Line to Hammersmith and then the District to Wimbledon. If they are on strike I would recommend the bus as had been shown here. Without prying, you do not state where in Wimbledon you are going - It is quite a big place with Wimbledon Village up the hill or Wimbledon Park?
There is no direct District Line from Hammersmith to Wimbledon. The best is to take Piccadilly to Earl's Court and then change to District Line to Wimbledon.
blurt91 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 8:41 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by VorelNaCestach
I highly recommend checking the situation when you arrive. The best place to do so is either TFL webpage or an application called Citymapper.
If you prefer busses, here are two options from T5

There is no direct District Line from Hammersmith to Wimbledon. The best is to take Piccadilly to Earl's Court and then change to District Line to Wimbledon.
You are absolutely right - and to my shame I attended the Lycee Francais de Londres and went on the Underground from Wimbledon to South Ken daily. I was thinking of Richmond.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
the train service that should be called Crossrail
Forgive my ignorance, but I’m confused as to why it should be called Crossrail. Have I missed something I shouldn’t have?
Old Mar 23, 2024, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
You are absolutely right - and to my shame I attended the Lycee Francais de Londres and went on the Underground from Wimbledon to South Ken daily. I was thinking of Richmond.
It's OK PUCCI GALORE I don't think anyone noticed!🤣
Old Mar 23, 2024, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Suggestions of bus and then cab might be a brilliant compromise... I won't be in a hurry having retired 3 days earlier!
Old Mar 23, 2024, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by averageflyerLHR
Forgive my ignorance, but I’m confused as to why it should be called Crossrail. Have I missed something I shouldn’t have?
Just somene trying to be clever.

The original scheme was indeed called 'Crossrail' but it was officially changed to Elizabeth Line and hence the more informal Lizzie Line.

I have seen posts where peopple do indeed think Crossrail is something different to Lizzie. Comments such as this aren't helpful in that respect as it just confuses.
Swanhunter likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by averageflyerLHR
The project for many years, pretty much up to the final stages was referred to as Crossrail. Some are cross the project name was dropped, but TfL typically uses Named Lines for it's services, and is now continuing the retrofit even to the various Overground lines.
:D! likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by blurt91
Suggestions of bus and then cab might be a brilliant compromise... I won't be in a hurry having retired 3 days earlier!
Going an extra stop or two beyond Cromwell Road on the SL7 to somewhere like New Malden might be a good tactic if you're going to continue by cab.

If you want to really go the "scenic route" and the trams are running, continue on the SL7 to Croydon and then head back towards Wimbledon on the tram. That won't be quick though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.