Good Experience at LHR AMEX Centurion Lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2024, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence

I was on VS153 yesterday, the 1410 departure LHR-JFK. As I was in deepest, darkest coach, I was unable to access the VS Clubhouse. The counter agent told me that as a Delta DM I was entitled to use "Lounge D", which is the Aspire Lounge. Also, I was sent to the Fast Track security entrance, rather than to the elevator that leads to VS dedicated elite security entrance. Upon exiting Fast Track, I saw a sign for "Lounge A". the Amex Centurion Lounge (which I knew was there but didn't know exactly where). I followed signs and ended up in an elevator that let me off right outside the entrace to the Centurion. Even though I got there 3 hours 25 minutes before scheduled departure, I was admitted with a smile.

While the club is windowless, I found a table and comfortable chair to open up my laptop and spread out a bit. The club had a full English breakfast buffet together with an assortment of cheeses, fruit and pastries, and a nice sized bar staffed by two men. The club had bathrooms at the back; the men's room was clean and well maintained.

I had a pleasant and productive stay at this lounge, probably the best of the four Centurion clubs I've visited (the others were at JFK, LAS and IAH). While I was going to check out the Aspire club, I enjoyed myself too much to leave any time to go by there.
slobass and awonderer like this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 9:21 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Which criteria allowed you to get in…being a DM, having a DL-branded AmEx card (Reserve or Platinum), or AmEx Platinum card?
Old Mar 15, 2024, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by audidudi
Which criteria allowed you to get in…being a DM, having a DL-branded AmEx card (Reserve or Platinum), or AmEx Platinum card?
I got in through my Delta Reserve AMEX card.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 11:08 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat
Yeah, I was disappointed during my last trip that I couldn't get into Clubhouse but the Centurion was a good lounge.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 12:09 pm

Programs: Delta
I agree. I had to spend 6 hours there with my family when our Delta transatlantic flight was cancelled. We used Amex Platinum (non-branded) to get in (2 cards + 2 teenage son "guests"). The food and beverage selections were varied and good, and we found plenty of space and charging outlets to spread out a bit while we were there.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 8:27 am

Programs: VS Flying Club, UA Mileage Plus
This lounge in some ways is better than the Aspire one if you don't mind the lack of windows.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 10:35 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by adhiren
This lounge in some ways is better than the Aspire one if you don't mind the lack of windows.
The Aspire lounge is TERRIBLE!! awful food options. barely any bar service. super crowded. I still cannot believe that Delta is sending PM and DM's to this pitiful lounge.
Aspire is laughable for a premium airline who wants to value their most loyal flyers.
AMEX Lounge at LHR is nice. very "british" in it's service and style. But good luck getting in during the mid-day or afternoon flights. usually a 20-30 minutes wait and they will only add you to the "wait list" at the 3 hour mark. plus it is a bit FAR from the Delta gates. Bring back the Virgin CLUBHOUSE for PM/DM!!!
Old Mar 17, 2024, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mridley2
The Aspire lounge is TERRIBLE!!
Some years back when I was a GM (maybe 2013 or 2014) and I was a SkyClub member (rather than relying on AMEX for my club access), Mrs. ND76 and I were in LHR and were entitled to use the "Number 1 Lounge", which turned out to be OK.

When Delta operated out of LGW, it had its own Crown Room, which was quite nice (DL also had its own arrivals facility at the Arora hotel attached to LGW's north terminal).

I think that the Delta/VS arrangement is quite strange, particularly considering that Delta owns 49% of VS and its SkyTeam joint venturer AF/KLM owns another 31% of VS. Having status on Delta seems to mean nothing to the VS staff, despite Delta indicating that it wants to make trips "seamless" and "metal neutral", and also considering that most Delta loyalists who fly VS are unable to originate their trips at US airports served by VS (in other words, VS depends on the feed from Delta connecting flights).
Old Mar 17, 2024, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ND76
I think that the Delta/VS arrangement is quite strange, particularly considering that Delta owns 49% of VS and its SkyTeam joint venturer AF/KLM owns another 31% of VS. Having status on Delta seems to mean nothing to the VS staff, despite Delta indicating that it wants to make trips "seamless" and "metal neutral", and also considering that most Delta loyalists who fly VS are unable to originate their trips at US airports served by VS (in other words, VS depends on the feed from Delta connecting flights).
I can see the point from the other side. If DL Medallions hordes flying in economy were allowed in the VS Lounge, it is difficult to see how VS could cope otherwise than by severely downgrading the lounge to be more like a mediocre DL Skyclub. It also fits with the broader DL policy of downgrading the significance of status for lounge access when flying economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.