Search

Barclay's Local

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2024, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Barclay's Local

Does anyone know are these actual bank branches with ATM's? There is one on Tenterden (Kent) but it doesn't indicate whether or not it has one. Why Barclay's, one of the largest 5 banks in the UK, doesn't have ATM's at LHR is beyond me. Anyway if Tenterden doesn't have one Ashford seems to be next closest.

I ask as I avoid ATM fees using my BOA debit card.

thanks
Old Mar 8, 2024, 12:59 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
The nearest Barclays ATM is at Ashford.

Barclays local: These are not branches, they'te basically drop-in centres where you can speak to a person about lots of things related to banking, but where you can't do any actual banking, like things involving cash, or checks, or bank transfers.

https://events.uk.barclays/local/
Old Mar 8, 2024, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
There are broadly no bank interchange fees for debit cards in the UK therefore there’s no reason why Barclays, or any other particular other bank, to have a cash machine in, for example, an airport. Additionally, of course, cash usage is declining rapidly.
Swanhunter likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 1:04 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
No, Barclays use them generally where they've closed a branch and want (or more accurately are forced by local feeling) to keep providing some semblance of a service. They use local community facilities such as libraries or community centres, perhaps for one day a week. They are not hosted in a premises they have control over, so no way of restocking an ATM even if it existed.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks. The only reason I need cash is for my car service back to LHR from my mom's house. They don't take credit cards, only cash. I asked if I could set up an account with them to forgo this major inconvenience and they say yes but to do a bank transfer fee will be higher than any ATM withdrawal fee so it's utterly useless. Anyway thanks for the tips.

"Hi Ian
We will invoice you at your address or by email and you can do a bank transfer
Thank you".
Old Mar 8, 2024, 3:01 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Google Maps suggests there's a Natwest in Tenterden, by the Waitrose. There's also a Tesco store in Tenterden which should have an ATM. You should be able to withdraw cash at either without any fees from any UK bank, and without them imposing any extra fees. It's generally just the cash machines / ATMs in corner shops and pubs and the like which charge extra fees themselves.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 3:25 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
Google Maps suggests there's a Natwest in Tenterden, by the Waitrose. There's also a Tesco store in Tenterden which should have an ATM. You should be able to withdraw cash at either without any fees from any UK bank, and without them imposing any extra fees. It's generally just the cash machines / ATMs in corner shops and pubs and the like which charge extra fees themselves.
I think Bank of America will impose fees on the American side. BoA and Barclay's probably have a reciprocal arrangement of no fees on either side when pulling cash.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
I think Bank of America will impose fees on the American side. BoA and Barclay's probably have a reciprocal arrangement of no fees on either side when pulling cash.
Correct. Yeah there's a nat west there off the high street but BOA will fire me back probably a $10 fee.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 5:01 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Can't your mum do a bank transfer? You can pay her back on your next visit or buy her a supermarket gift card or something like that
Old Mar 9, 2024, 9:18 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by enviroian
Correct. Yeah there's a nat west there off the high street but BOA will fire me back probably a $10 fee.
Why not open a Wise or Monzo account. That way you can get a card for use with both currencies? Or if you have a Fidelity account they reimburse fees from any ATM. . Might be worth opening an account just to keep enough not to worry about BoA fees.
enviroian likes this.

Last edited by MoreMilesPlease; Mar 9, 2024 at 9:21 am Reason: Correct wrong info....SoFi does use a specific network.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
There are broadly no bank interchange fees for debit cards in the UK therefore there’s no reason why Barclays, or any other particular other bank, to have a cash machine in, for example, an airport. Additionally, of course, cash usage is declining rapidly.
That's not really it. There are interchange fees paid to the ATM operator. The ATMs are Heathrow are operated by the highest bidder, which is a third party (Travelex if memory serves) that charges £2.50 and/or obscene dynamic currency conversion fees. Bank-run ATMs don't charge usage fees and therefore won't be able to bid as much.
antichef and :D! like this.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by enviroian
Thanks. The only reason I need cash is for my car service back to LHR from my mom's house. They don't take credit cards, only cash. I asked if I could set up an account with them to forgo this major inconvenience and they say yes but to do a bank transfer fee will be higher than any ATM withdrawal fee so it's utterly useless. Anyway thanks for the tips.

"Hi Ian
We will invoice you at your address or by email and you can do a bank transfer
Thank you".
It's entirely possible to fund an account with wise.com in dollars and then pay out in pounds to anyone in the UK. I have done it in the reverse with close on quarter of a mill. You will also pay the mid-market exchange rate, NOT the retail rate set by BOA. The fees wise.com charge will be lower.

It's totally worth a look.
antichef and enviroian like this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 12:48 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
It's entirely possible to fund an account with wise.com in dollars and then pay out in pounds to anyone in the UK. I have done it in the reverse with close on quarter of a mill. You will also pay the mid-market exchange rate, NOT the retail rate set by BOA. The fees wise.com charge will be lower.

It's totally worth a look.
Or just use a car service that accepts credit cards
Old Mar 10, 2024, 1:38 am

Programs: BA Exec, LH M&M
As already mentioned, Ashford is your closest option: https://www.barclays.co.uk/branch-finder/

You can use this link to search for ATMs specifically

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.