Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Manchester New Terminal 2: Did someone get a kick-back to approve this monstrosity?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Manchester New Terminal 2: Did someone get a kick-back to approve this monstrosity?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2024, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist

After an enjoyable day Sunday at the Derby, I had the "pleasure" of departing MAN this morning. The good news is that we were there at just after 4am and there was hardly anyone in the terminal and at security. The bad news is that apparently security was bored and decided to poke around most of carry-ons. Then there was the long walk thru duty free purgatory and another long walk to obscurely located lounges. Then another long, long walk to the A gates and A7 thru the ugliest, most spartan walkway and concourse. Think miles of hospital white. But the topper was that in order to board, one has to walk down four, yes four, flights of stairs just to get to the jet-bridge located two stories below the concourse. Say what? You can't make up this stuff.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Manchester is universally and justifiably reviled as the worst airport in the UK. A crowded field but it really excels 😉
SFO777, strowger and jmd like this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 4:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Perhaps they'd broken the new-fangled security scanners that require everything left in the bags? My last two experiences with MAN T2 have been very positive to the extent that paying for fast track now seems questionable. I was even able to get access to an actual lounge.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Manchester is universally and justifiably reviled as the worst airport in the UK. A crowded field but it really excels 😉
Just the UK?
strowger and jmd like this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 2:28 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, BA Pleb
Manchester T2 is really nice, but is still a building site as they continue to refurbish the old part of it, hence the long walks.
Mancredflyer likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Arctic Troll
Manchester T2 is really nice, but is still a building site as they continue to refurbish the old part of it, hence the long walks.
Niceness at Manchester is a relative concept. The T2 experience can be more pleasant than the one you get in Ts 1 and 2, but if you get directed to the commercial zone post-security, only to have to back track past security to get to gates in the terminal's underworld, the pleasantness quickly evaporates.

On my last pass though T2 i noticed the airside escalators and moving walkways are beginning to be be blighted by MAN's maintenance issues. Maybe the hefty passenger fee, drop-off and pick-up charges, and the fee for baggage trolleys will eventually realise the funds they need to keep things moving.....

Last edited by IAN-UK; Mar 5, 2024 at 3:26 am
Old Mar 7, 2024, 1:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Fake news, MAN is beautiful https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...e-28229328.amp

Old Mar 7, 2024, 4:12 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, BA Pleb
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Niceness at Manchester is a relative concept. The T2 experience can be more pleasant than the one you get in Ts 1 and 2, but if you get directed to the commercial zone post-security, only to have to back track past security to get to gates in the terminal's underworld, the pleasantness quickly evaporates.
There's the new bit and the old bit, and the gates where you backtrack through security are in the old 90s bit of T2. It'll be interesting what the old 90s bit is like once they've completed the building works and refurbishment of that part of the terminal. But for now it is still a building site- and looks like it.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 4:18 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

There is a lift available at each gate for those that don't want to use the stairs
Old Mar 7, 2024, 4:20 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Internaut
Perhaps they'd broken the new-fangled security scanners that require everything left in the bags? My last two experiences with MAN T2 have been very positive to the extent that paying for fast track now seems questionable. I was even able to get access to an actual lounge.
There are only 2 at the moment. Others will be installed over the next year.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 9:59 am

Did you get lounge access with priority pass - wondering whether I need will need to reserve to get access at 6am on Sat in June. T1 now offers Starbucks/restaurant credit with PP but this is not available in T2
Old Mar 11, 2024, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Mancredflyer
Did you get lounge access with priority pass - wondering whether I need will need to reserve to get access at 6am on Sat in June. T1 now offers Starbucks/restaurant credit with PP but this is not available in T2
My 1903 lounge access was from my AF ticket.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 2:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Mancredflyer
Using the Priority Pass app, you should be able to book yourself into the Aspire Lounge for £6.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.